Holiday Mixes!

A few weeks ago, I posted in the Now Playing thread about how much I enjoy Tualla's 2005 Christmas Mix. So I'll kick off a new thread for this year's batch. If you do a Christmas mix every year, or if you want to come up with one right now, post it here for all to enjoy (I know not everyone likes this type of music, but I love Christmas music, trite crap included).

Mine is based on a mix tape that my sister Kathy sent to me when I was away at college (1987ish? I'm going to go ahead and call this the 20th anniversary edition), which she called "Taking the Christ out of Xmas". This mix isn't entirely Christ-free, but it's got a lot of the same songs that Kathy used on her tape (Last Christmas, baby; hell yeah). I did change up the Partridge Family selection though, where she used Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree, I decided to open with My Christmas Card to You, in which the PF express what I feel to be the true meaning of Christmas: "I'm too lazy to send real cards".

My Xmas Card to You

My Christmas Card to You - The Partridge Family

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year - Johnny Mathis

New York Is A Christmas Kind of Town - Marah

Christmas Wrapping - Waitresses

The Christmas Song - Aimee Mann

Last Christmas - Wham!

Baby, It

finalthumbnailwf2.jpg

Great choices! I love that "Maybe This Christmas" song because it's a prominent part of the soundtrack for the Chrismukkah episodes of The OC, so hearing that song makes me think of Seth Cohen and his lovely holiday, telling Ryan how in this house he doesn't have to choose between a candy cane and a menorah... yeah I'm a dork. But I love that show. :thumbup

Here it is, like another horrendously ugly holiday sweater knitted by your Aunt Maureen...

2117697485_50874ef658.jpg

EL FAMOUS HOLIDAY MIX 2007 - 'THEIR SANTANIC MAJESTIES REQUEST'

Hooray for Santy Claus! - Milton DeLugg & The Little Eskimos

Father Christmas - The Kinks

Rock 'N' Roll Santa - Little Joey Farr

Come On Christmas - Cheap Trick

Linus and Lucy - Game Theory

Super Sunny Christmas - Red Kross

Sleigh Ride - The Three Suns

Christmas Wish - NRBQ

Christmas Wrapping - The Waitresses

Donde Esta Santa Claus? - Guster

Frosty the Snowman - Man or Astroman?

Christmas Boogie - The Davis Sisters

Waking Up on Christmas Morning - The Smithereens

Eggnog - Luna

Merry X-mas Everybody - Oasis

God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen - Los Straitjackets

I Believe In Father Christmas - Emerson, Lake & Palmer

Auld Lang Syne - Esquivel

The New Year - Death Cab for Cutie

DOWNLOAD AT MY BLOG-HUMBUG

http://www.sendspace.com/file/9f15it

01. It's Christmas Time - Yo La Tengo

02. Santa Doesn't Cop Out On Dope - Sonic Youth

03. Roses In The Snow - Papa M

04. Do You Fear What I Fear, David Horvitz? - The Parenthetical Girls

05. Jingle Bells - Will Oldham and The Anomoanon

06. Winter Sun - Koushik

07. Christmas Day - The Beach Boys

08. Santa Clause Goes Modern - Yo La Tengo

09. Written In The Snow - The Autumn Defense

10. Just Like Christmas - Low

11. Father Christmas - The Kinks

12. Christmas Time In The Mountains - Palace

13. Christmas Medley - John Fahey

14. White Christmas - Mark Kozelek

15. Winter - Fennesz

16. Silent Night - Lisa Hannigan

17. Rock and Roll Santa - Yo La Tengo

18. The Cold Swedish Winter - Jens Lekman

19. Blue Christmas - Low

20. Going Home for Christmas - Nicolai Dunger

21. Hallelujah - Leonard Cohen

22. End of a Holiday - Fairport Convention

63510955dcc7dfa31033fa00ec2c23e95g.jpg

Christmas with This Guy. (Good Luck) :: Your Mart & Pat Christmas Card 2007, 9th in a Series

Patti and I have been sending out a Christmas Card to a handful of family and friends, either as cassette or CD, since 1995 or so... tracks from fellow VCers' mixes from past years are starting to appear on the CDs we've sent out, so if you recognize a song from a mix that you've distributed here in the past, know that my family says thanks and Merry Christmas!!! :worship

edit: please be aware that the Christmas in Kilarney file is in horrible condition, but a cousin insisted that we include the track on the disc. He got me the file and I, like a chump, didn't listen to it before inclusion. No more acceding to musical assertions from cousins, that's for sure.

hee hee thanks, we just print inkjet cd stickers and stick 'em onto the discs we burn, then mail 'em in static free paper envelopes. Our covers never really make any sense; we've had "Holiday with Robot Dad", "Brownies Ate My Clementine", and "Holiday Hitchhiker" as previous titles.

Someone on this thread mentioned Willie Nelson's "Pretty Paper".....its an album that he put out in 1979 and covers all the x-mas classics........as someone who cant stand x-mas music in general and especially the 'classics'.....this album is good, very good....not sure if its still in circulation (I bought the vinyl version for a quarter years ago) but if it is, get it!

Christmas with This Guy. (Good Luck) :: Your Mart & Pat Christmas Card 2007, 9th in a Series

Patti and I have been sending out a Christmas Card to a handful of family and friends, either as cassette or CD, since 1995 or so... tracks from fellow VCers' mixes from past years are starting to appear on the CDs we've sent out, so if you recognize a song from a mix that you've distributed here in the past, know that my family says thanks and Merry Christmas!!! :worship

edit: please be aware that the Christmas in Kilarney file is in horrible condition, but a cousin insisted that we include the track on the disc. He got me the file and I, like a chump, didn't listen to it before inclusion. No more acceding to musical assertions from cousins, that's for sure.

Mart, I laughed so hard at "Christmas with This Guy", the kids thought I'd gone nuts. And Christmas in Kilarney was an old stand-by in our house, so I'll take it in any form. :cheekkiss

Thanks for all the holiday mixes, everyone! You're making my holiday that much brighter. :yes

Christmas Mix 2, because you can't have too much christmas music during christmas time

http://www.sendspace.com/file/5e3rl2

01. Silent Night - Simon and Garfunkel

02. Snowfall - The Halo Benders

03. Gift X-Change - Calexico

04. Festive Friends Forever - The Parenthetical Girls

05. Hark the Harold Angels Sing - The Fall

06. White Christmas - The Flaming Lips

07. Hey, Parker, It's Christmas - Ryan Adams

08. Christmas (California) - Cynthia Dall and Smog

09. Child's Christmas In Whales - John Cale

10. Oh Holy Night - John Fahey

11. I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus - Secret Chiefs 3

12. Rock N Roll Christmas Tree - Daniel Johnston

13. Santa Claus Is Going Straight To The Ghetto - Snoop Dog

14. Blue Christmas - The Beach Boys

15. Last Christmas Part 2 - The Parenthetical Girls

16. The Ornament Tree - Bert Jansch

17. Christmas Eve - Gorky's Zgotic Mynci

18. One Big Holiday - My Morning Jacket

19. Merry Christmas, Santa Claus - Max Headroom

20. Christmas At the Zoo - The Flaming Lips

21. Taking Down the Christmas Tree - Low

22. Christmas Time Is Here Again - The Beatles

Christmas Mix 2, because you can't have too much christmas music during christmas time

09. Child's Christmas In Whales - John Cale

Very cool. I've been meaning to hear Cale's origional version of this song. I've just heard the Jay Bennett/Ed Burch version. Thanks!

Very cool. I've been meaning to hear Cale's origional version of this song. I've just heard the Jay Bennett/Ed Burch version. Thanks!

yeah it's a good one. my friends older brother made me a christmas mix last night and this was on it. Actually about 1/3 of the songs he gave me are on this one.

I've seen Jenn Grant open for the weakerthans and was very impressed, but then totally forgot to seek out any of her music.

Luckily, Frank at chromewaves posted some Christmas standards by Ms Grant and they easily got added to the top of the Ipods Holiday Songs playlist:

http://www.chromewaves.net/mp3/JennGrant-H...leChristmas.mp3

http://www.chromewaves.net/mp3/JennGrant-OHolyNight.mp3

http://www.chromewaves.net/mp3/JennGrant-SilverBells.mp3

That Richard Hawley version of silent night that's also posted over there is pretty great.

AND, and I would like to point out that Mart's mixer contains some 'VC house band', the Lylas with 'Swing Low Sweet Mistletoe'

NP Red Sovine: Faith in Santa.

Merry Christmas everyone and thanks to Maudie for getting this thread going!

Thanks everyone for the great Christmas tunes! Mine were getting a little stale. However, the first tune I did play for the kids this year was "Christmas in Hollis".

Someone on this thread mentioned Willie Nelson's "Pretty Paper".....its an album that he put out in 1979 and covers all the x-mas classics........as someone who cant stand x-mas music in general and especially the 'classics'.....this album is good, very good....not sure if its still in circulation (I bought the vinyl version for a quarter years ago) but if it is, get it!

I have a great live version of Chris Isaak doing the Dradle Song as himself then a spot on Wille Nelson then doing Pretty Paper. A really great old country Christmas tune.