Rolling Stone ranks SBS as #42 this year

Rolling Stone put out their list of the top 50 albums this year and SBS rings in at #42. I thought it would be a bit higher but I was surprised with some of the choices for some of the early picks. I like seeing Arcade Fire at #3. Also I wasn't even aware that Imperial Teen was back together let alone had a new album out. I do love the quote about Wilco at the end of their SBS review it reads:

America's next Sonic Youth have now become our new Grateful Dead

Nice. :thumbup

Here is the link to the list: Rolling Stone's Top 50 Albums of 2007

Guest David Puddy

nice, that's a good list. don't agree with too much of it, but like the reviews. the review of sbs, although at 42, is pretty good. and that ending quote is pleasant as hell.

Yep. End of year lists tend to be infuriating. I might piss off some people here but I genuinely think that the latest from Arcade Fire and Spoon are very overrated. I was so anxious to hear both records. "Neon Bible" is for the most part boring. The best song ("No Cars Go") is old and where did the imagination that defined "Funeral" go? Using Springsteen as a template for some of the songs? That said they are amazing live. Spoon proved again that they are great at making half of a classic album. As for MIA, the less said the better. The record isn't nearly as important or as original as many critics hail it. I really dug both Amy Winehouse and Lilly Allen's album. Pop music at it's best which is a high compliment. Most enjoyable album of the year for me was the Arctic Monkey's (I spend a lot of time in my car) and best overall album was Eddie Vedder's soundtrack to "Into the Wild" which complemented a superb fim perfectly. Of all the albums I bought I feel I will be listening to this for the longest amount of time into the future. As for SBS, another great. Wilco album

Another lousy list. Where's Ryan Adams, Interpol, The National.... Mark Knopfler?

Besides that Icky Thump should be #1, period.

Rolling Stone put out their list of the top 50 albums this year and SBS rings in at #42. I thought it would be a bit higher but I was surprised with some of the choices for some of the early picks. I like seeing Arcade Fire at #3. Also I wasn't even aware that Imperial Teen was back together let alone had a new album out. I do love the quote about Wilco at the end of their SBS review it reads:

Nice. :thumbup

Here is the link to the list: Rolling Stone's Top 50 Albums of 2007

Gotta love that statement! For what it's worth Billboard has SBS tied at 8th on their list link scroll down a couple pages to find SBS

The latest Ryan Adams and Interpol releases are crap. The latest National release is not crap.

:rolleyes

I keep seeing all these year-end lists and to be honest my list is the only list that I have no complaints about. I really nailed my own list. From 1-10, I just have absolutely no complaints about it. It's like I know exactly what I love!!

I keep seeing all these year-end lists and to be honest my list is the only list that I have no complaints about. I really nailed my own list. From 1-10, I just have absolutely no complaints about it. It's like I know exactly what I love!!

Wow, I feel the same way!...about my list of course.

I do think it is a little ridiculous to quibble over list placement and to complain when albums that were only marginally well received by everyone but yourself is not included in an end of year top 50 list. I've heard countless people complain on numerous message boards that bands like Interpol aren't included in a list; I mean, I understand that you may disagree, but are you really surprised that it wasn't included?

But what bothers me is when publications like Paste or AV Club put out lists purporting to rank the "best music of 2007" that is nearly entirely filled with indie rock/pop (with a token MIA thrown in for good measure!). I understand that you can only create a list based off of the listening habits of your staff, but if that's the case, maybe the list should be more appropriately titled "Best Music for White Guys in Sweaters with Shaggy Hair and Unkempt Beards in 2007." And maybe some of these "music" publications should consider hiring more diverse staff writers.

I don't see why playing guitar based music makes them like the Grateful Dead. In fact, they are much better than the Grateful Dead. This is strange considering Rolling Stone said they should win this year's grammy for best rock album, and said something along the lines of "gorgeous...even better sounding than when it came out and then it sounded friggin good".

I'm guessing what they mean by the Dead comment is that the band is now probably the best live act around, and that they merge several styles of music and playing together. I'm obviously biased but I think it's a huge compliment. Say what you want about the Dead, there is not one music act out there that wouldn't wish for such a huge passionate fan base like they have.

I'm guessing what they mean by the Dead comment is that the band is now probably the best live act around, and that they merge several styles of music and playing together. I'm obviously biased but I think it's a huge compliment. Say what you want about the Dead, there is not one music act out there that wouldn't wish for such a huge passionate fan base like they have.

Yeah I'm not trying to trash the Dead, I listen to them fairly often (Workingman's Dead, American Beauty, and Europe '72 mainly). I wasnt able to see them in concert (Jerry died when I was four) so maybe that's why I can't say they are as good as a lot of people belidve. But from 70-72 they were really great (they had the best lineup then in my opinion). Wilco is similar in the fact that the band has always been changing in terms of whose in it.