Interesting Tweedy Article from the Riverfront Times

yeah, it's hardly 27 miles (that seems really wrong - though hey Robin, when I come over this weekend, we can measure! haha).....and it is part of the St Louis Metro area - hell, it's even on the MetroLink train line.

I am just arguing geography - I could care less about the whole "home town" discussion. :lol

Us St. Louisans can be very defensive of our beloved city. :wub Hell, didn't you see how personally I took it when someone ragged on Imo's Pizza? ;)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would hope that the writer hasn't forgotten the pure joy of the road trip. Where I grew up was 9 hours to the nearest venue for any kind of decent band. We would make those trips as often as we could and they were great. Of course I live in Detroit now, which the boys never forget to hit on tour.

Notice this slip up?

Would the music editor of this print newpaper really be that tacky to run this embarassing "open letter to ..." him/herself?

Newspaper editors have no shame. None. Not a drop nor a shred.

WILCO's various classic albums--Summerteeth, YHF--couldn't have come from anywhere else but Chicago in the late 90's, early 00's.

The WILCO of those albums and tours has more to do with Champaign, Illinois than St Louis, Missouri, but it's all based in and grew out of

Chicago and its rich community of musicians.

Chicago doesn't need WILCO, there are plenty of other great bands that call Chicago home, but WILCO most definitely needed Chicago to get to where the band is today.

Was the crying baby really necessary? Seriously, I'm not from St. L, but I've got friends there who still haven't seen Wilco live yet. I don't think it'd fucking kill the band to put the kibosh on one of the 40 or 60 Chicago shows they play every year to pencil in one lousy fucking St. Louis gig.

I don't think it'd fucking kill the band to put the kibosh on one of the 40 or 60 Chicago shows they play every year to pencil in one lousy fucking St. Louis gig.

Uhmm, you know someone was going to call you on this, right?

In 2007, Wilco played Chicago exactly...once.

Even if the dates weren't determined by promoters (which they are), sometimes people love the cities they chose better than the ones they grew up in. I grew up in St. Louis, never in all my life felt at home there, and I DO feel at home in the city I live in now. Not a big deal, and not all that surprising.

I feel bad for the St. Louis folks. However, that said, Wilco is very much a Chicago band. Jeff has spent most of his adult life living here, getting married, having kids, etc. I know they don't all live here now but based on the number of shows they have played here, his current residence, the place where they record and the fact that his wife owned a legendary club that Wilco frequented, I have to say they are a Chicago band.

Uncle Tupelo wasn't a Chicago band.

Mmmmmmmmm ... Lion's Choice. Extra-rare with horseradish sauce. How can one forsake a town with such deliciousness?

I live in my house, but hang out at Lion's Choice. Definitely makes sense now.

Sorry man, but I think Imo's Pizza is the worst thing to come out of Missouri since the Dred Scott decision.

St. Louis style whoops up on some Chicago style any day of the week. And what's with NY? Do you really need a slice as large as your face?

The Square Beyond Compare!

And what's with NY? Do you really need a slice as large as your face?

Yes, we do.

A pizza place in my old Poughkeepsie 'hood used to sell this interesting pizza with thin, square crust with Parmesan cheese on top. It was different, but good.

That just put a smile on my face the size of your stinkin' pizza!

And yes I do love Chicago,I vacation in your great city atleast once or twice a year.

Yes, we do.

A pizza place in my old Poughkeepsie 'hood used to sell this interesting pizza with thin, square crust with Parmesan cheese on top. It was different, but good.

oh my god, i have to ask this. was it ever called joe's pizza? was it a walk-up-to-the-window-like-you're-ordering-ice-cream kind of place?

was it near a small baseball field? i suppose it's all a walmart or some other prison by now. but that square pizza was one of a kind.

That just put a smile on my face the size of your stinkin' pizza!

And yes I do love Chicago,I vacation in your great city atleast once or twice a year.

:cheers And I love St. Louis. Keep in mind that you guys get many more Son Volt/Jay Farrar appearances than we do up here. Your pizza isn't quite as good but Jay is alway good to see live. ;)

oh my god, i have to ask this. was it ever called joe's pizza? was it a walk-up-to-the-window-like-you're-ordering-ice-cream kind of place?

was it near a small baseball field? i suppose it's all a walmart or some other prison by now. but that square pizza was one of a kind.

Its previous incarnation, was, yes. My dad used to go there. The baseball field remains, actually. That neighborhood really hasn't changed much.

:cheers And I love St. Louis. Keep in mind that you guys get many more Son Volt/Jay Farrar appearances than we do up here. Your pizza isn't quite as good but Jay is alway good to see live. ;)

One of Jay's brothers regularly plays at my favorite restaurant, just a few blocks from my house. That's definitely a perk. :dancing