Going to the VC well

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Edie what a wonderful gift in the midst of all this. :love I had a moment like this with my grandpa the day before he died and I know how much it means. I'm wondering how Jake is handling things? My heart goes out to him...grandparents can be such special people in our young lives. Know you all must be feeling his loss terribly though.

Sending more love and hugs!

Thanks Clouds :wub

We had been planning to get to the hospital yesterday anyway since Jake had just gotten home from Camp. We walked in our front door and the phone is ringing -- it's Scott's mom looking for Scott to let him know Jerry had just passed. Scott was on his way up there with Max's mom (my wife in law -- his first wife) to visit. So I tell Jake, and through the tears we get back in the car and drive there. We all had the chance to see Jerry still in his room, and Jake was absolutely unflinching. We gave him the chance not to, but he would not hear of it. He held his hand and said goodbye, and stayed with us in there for 20 or more minutes. I am tremendously proud of him. I think (older) kids should be given the choice to experience as much as they want to.

We all cried quite a bit yesterday, and in typical Hirtenstein fashion, shared two meals afterwards -- one in the hospital cafe and the other at Scott's parents condo. There were 10 adults alternating crying/laughing, three kids goofing off, and just a home full of memories. It should always be this way.

Awww Edie, thanks so much for sharing your story with us. This part of the human journey is so precious. What a gift to share in the passage of those we love.

Best wishes to you, Scott and Jakie. And especially for Scott's mother. After so many years together it must feel like part of her has gone missing.

Love you guys. :cheekkiss

Edie, sweetest, all my love to you and Scott and Jake. It's clear from all you've told us that Jerry was a really special person and lived a wonderful life with much love in it. What blessings to everyone who knew him!

It sounds as if his influence on Jake was powerful. I'm sure Jake won't ever forget him. We had an elderly neighbor who had that sort of an influence on Brennan, and even though she's been gone for about 7 years, she is still very precious to Brennan and still influences his outlook on the world. These wonderful people make an impact that's forever.

You are raising an amazing young man. I'm so glad to hear that Jake decided for himself, and wanted to say his goodbyes. Sounds like Jake understands well that a body is just something we travel in, and its death is not the end of the spirit who inhabited it.

So much love to you all. I hope you will feel Jerry's spirit with you often. :cheekkiss

You've got one brave, strong little guy there, Edie. I just want to give him a huge hug.

Edie, the most sincere condolences from the Leavells to the Hirtensteins. We think the world of you. :hug

I'm so sorry to hear this Edie. My grandma died in october, so I know how difficult this is. Jerry sounded like an amazing man, so I hope the memories of him will help you and your family through his passing. My love and condolences to your entire family. :hug :cheekkiss