Going to the VC well

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We went to see him (Jerry) today at the recuperative facility. He is only about 15 miles from here; we are so lucky that most of our family is from here.

Anyway, he is fighting the good fight. Without going into too many details, he has been on some pretty strong painkillers which are causing him to hallucinate. It is really interesting watching Jake kind of deal with him when it is happening. He is so gentle with him even though Jerry is clearly not making a lot of sense. I think that while it is hard for Jake, it would be far worse to keep him away.

Here's a picture I took from this last summer. Jerry and I have always had a great deal of affection for each other; he is one of those "broke the mold" kind of guys.

ScottJakeandJerry.jpg

I appreciate the chance to kind of share this stuff; Scott and I are just basically trying to get through the days without losing it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to the VC community for all of your vibes. Jerry passed away yesterday morning. He and my mother-in-law knew each other more than 70 years and were married for 64 of them. He was a Navy veteran of WWII, driving the transports for soldiers hitting the shore in Italy and other places. He was a great cook and a true gourmet which made family holidays a real treat beyond just seeing the family. He was smart, generous and always ready to help if we needed it. His joke with Scott was that if Scott ever landed in jail, he'd "get him out, even if it took 20 years". He had two children, three grandchildren and two great-grandchildren, all of whom doted on him and vice-versa.

Anyway, we will miss him greatly. Rest in peace, sweet prince.

Thanks everyone for the chance to share.

My condolences to you and your family. Sounded like he was a great guy and a great example for living life.

Aww, Edie, I'm so terribly sorry. Jerry sounded like an amazing person; my late grandfather served in Italy/Sicily during WWII...who knows if their paths might have crossed? My sincere condolences to his wife/your MIL. Words are inadequate. Please know I'm sending my love and thoughts to you, Jake, and Scott at this beyond difficult time.

Let me know if there's anything you need. :cheekkiss

May he RIP.

Guest Speed Racer

I'm sorry to hear that, Edie. My thoughts are with you and your family. All of my grandparents passed away during this week of the year (25, 27, 30, 31), and so I know how stressful it is to deal with all of this in the middle of holidays.

Best wishes, and don't forget to take care of yourself when you need to.

I'm so sorry, Edie. It sounds like his long life was interesting and filled with a lot of love. My thoughts and heart are with you and your family today.

Thank you one an all. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated :love

One last thing: We all thought that it was "the end" on the night of the 26th so we rushed to the hospital -- scott, me, jake, max, scott's sister and BIL, niece, scott's cousin and of course Scott's mom. We're all standing around the bed, bawling, when suddenly, Jerry wakes up (he'd been sound asleep all day) and is perfectly lucid. He starts cracking jokes, making us all laugh. He was ordering us all around, flirting with the nurses, just being Jerry. I am so grateful that we all had that chance to see him that way again and kiss him and hold his hands. It was just the best.

Edie what a wonderful gift in the midst of all this. :love I had a moment like this with my grandpa the day before he died and I know how much it means. I'm wondering how Jake is handling things? My heart goes out to him...grandparents can be such special people in our young lives. Know you all must be feeling his loss terribly though.

Sending more love and hugs!

Guest David Puddy
One last thing: We all thought that it was "the end" on the night of the 26th so we rushed to the hospital -- scott, me, jake, max, scott's sister and BIL, niece, scott's cousin and of course Scott's mom. We're all standing around the bed, bawling, when suddenly, Jerry wakes up (he'd been sound asleep all day) and is perfectly lucid. He starts cracking jokes, making us all laugh. He was ordering us all around, flirting with the nurses, just being Jerry. I am so grateful that we all had that chance to see him that way again and kiss him and hold his hands. It was just the best.

that's wonderful that you got to spend one more moment with Jerry as himself. one last memory to cherish.

when my grandfather died, he was blabbing in a mixture of swedish, german & english and truly was not himself.