What's the deal with Panda Bear?

OK, so this Panda Bear is on many top 10 lists of the year and I thought I'd check it out. I have tried about 5 times now and every time I listen to I keep thinking that I need drugs to appreciate it. I'm not making assumptions about anyone who digs this, but I cannot listen to it. Am I wrong in assuming it must sound better with chemicals?? To me, it sounds like a acid-influenced Beech Boys experiement gone wrong.....

I went for a run the other day and I had my mp3 player with me. I was listening to Panda Bear. At the 20 min mark or so, I got a runner's high. While I was listening to Panda Bear. That was one of the most bizarre experiences of my life. Cool, though. :pirate

Maybe I'm just becoming an old "fuddy-duddy", but where are the songs? You know, musicianship and melodies. Stuff like that. And to think it is on many lists as a Top 10 of the year. I just don't hear anything there. What am I missing?

i enjoy it and think it's pretty interesting, but certainly not one of the years very best for me (think it just made my top 40). like you, I too prefer songs and melodies to things that just "sound cool". there are some great melodies on the album (Bros for example), but a lot of the album just tests my patience.

at least i can listen to and enjoy PB though, because Animal Collective just make me angry/confused/annoyed.

I just don't get kids these days with their Animal Collective and their Daft Punk and their DJs and whatnot. That being said, the Panda Bear album has some exquisite moments. Not in my top ten though.

Maybe I'm just becoming an old "fuddy-duddy", but where are the songs? You know, musicianship and melodies. Stuff like that. And to think it is on many lists as a Top 10 of the year. I just don't hear anything there. What am I missing?

No melodies?! Did you even listen to the record? This thing is DRIPPING with melodies.

The whole album sounds like some half-forgotten childhood summer.

No melodies?! Did you even listen to the record? This thing is DRIPPING with melodies.

The whole album sounds like some half-forgotten childhood summer.

Yeah, I don't get the 'no melodies' thing, seeing as how the whole album is made up entirely of melody and rhythm. But, I remember a lot of people saying the same thing about Joanna Newsom's Ys from last year, so I just assume some people have a different idea of what melody actually means. I think it actually comes down to song structure which people have an issue with, along with the fact that they don't like what they hear (which, as I said before, is more than fair enough)

do people really listen to 40 new albums a year??

double it. :stunned

i guess i'm lucky since i can listen to music (at a pretty high volume too :rock) all day at work. i'd guess i listen to music around 6-12 hours a day on a given day. i definitely realize not everyone is able to do that though.

no musicianship, really. good melodies though. i think it's great, but it seems like one exercise done over several times with varying degrees of success. it's probably in my top 10 or 20 (even though i can't decide on a top 5 :hmm). i really like it, but i wonder if its popularity at the top of critic's lists is inflated by its novelty.

i guess i'm lucky since i can listen to music (at a pretty high volume too :rock) all day at work. i'd guess i listen to music around 6-12 hours a day on a given day. i definitely realize not everyone is able to do that though.

I can and do too - except it's like 6 -12 hours of Grateful Dead per day. Yes, I'm insane. :lol

double it. :stunned

do you need an assistant? (I can sue people you don't like--added bonus)

Maybe I'm just becoming an old "fuddy-duddy", but where are the songs?

Perhaps you just have limited notions of what songs can be. Panda Bear does not produce conventional songs, true, but that does not disqualify his music from being songs--they are just a different kind of song. There's room for all kinds, right?

Perhaps you just have limited notions of what songs can be. Panda Bear does not produce conventional songs, true, but that does not disqualify his music from being songs--they are just a different kind of song. There's room for all kinds, right?

I thought the comparison to Grizzly Bear was odd, because while Panda Bear has his freedom in looping and melody and schitzo structure, Grizzly Bear has a lot of more convential structuring. I thought the album was good, but I didn't really think it sounded entirely like a cohesive album, more like a bunch of ideas. Maybe that's my one problem, is that the loose structures of the songs don't make them sound like flowing parts of songs but entirely different songs nonetheless. Definitely interesting, though. I don't get how musicianship is a question, there's more to that title than simply being a good time keeper/guitar player/whatever, there's definitely a lot of care taken in all it's pieces and that's part of being a musician.