R.E.M. - ACCELERATE

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the sound of that album, but I don't care for most of the songs on it.

Wow. :blink That is exactly what I feel about the album too, but couldn't put precisely into words. I love Everybody Hurts, Nightswimming is my favorite song ever, and Find The River is amazing lyrically - but the rest is kinda mediocre on its own. IMHO.

Wow. :blink That is exactly what I feel about the album too, but couldn't put precisely into words. I love Everybody Hurts, Nightswimming is my favorite song ever, and Find The River is amazing lyrically - but the rest is kinda mediocre on its own. IMHO.

I wish more songs on the album were like that in some fashion. I am surprised they never got sued by David Essex.

I have a disc with 11 new songs from the Dublin shows.

Not expecting much after the VERY disappointing, Around The Sun, the new songs sound much more promising.

Mr Richards, Man Sized Wreath, Disguised and Accelerate sound particularly good.

I wouldn't go as far to say Stipe is ruining the latest records, but I miss the mystery of the lyrics. There are many times where the lyrics sound forced or overly thought out. I like the R.E.M. songs where you hear words or phrases that conjure impressions rather than specifics.

But Peter Buck has definitely turned the rock way up on the new batch of songs.

I used to think about that too.

I always thought it was weird that they admitted this -

"The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite" is a song by R.E.M.. It was influenced by the song "The Lion Sleeps Tonight", both in the title of the song and through the song's opening refrain. The band used "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" as the B-side to this song.

- but not Rock On as an influence on Drive

I'm one of these grumpy old men who think that they have been going downhill since Fables of the Reconstruction.

I guess they don't look at that album with fondness due to the making of it - but it was the second one I bought, Lifes Rich Pagent being the first.

Did someone say in a previous REM thread that you can't get Chronic Town as a stand alone album anymore? I have an original cassette pressing of that album.

Hey this is David

I've got a hat the size of Oklahoma

Put on my boots and going down to Walter's

Get me some barbecue

Bring some home to the misses

He'll give you a bag to put it in

This is David, signing off

I think my favorite is Fables. There was an interview where Peter Buck said a lot of his friends thought it was their best early record and he said something like "It does maintain a mood"; but went on about how miserable the experience of making it was (as Analogman pointed out). It might have been the Rollingstone.com video where they comment on each record up to and including Reveal.

Speaking of Reveal, it's a bit hit and miss for me, but I really like the "The Lifting" and "Chorus and the Ring".

• 2 weeks later...
R.E.M. Shoots Video At NYC Sex Shop, Restaurant

R.E.M. frontman Michael Stipe

January 23, 2008, 1:30 PM ET

Jessica Letkemann, N.Y.

New Yorkers who happened to be on Rivington Street on Monday (Jan. 21) caught R.E.M. performing in both a local sex toy shop and the restaurant next door.

The band convened on Manhattan's Lower East Side to film the video for "Supernatural Serious," the first single from its forthcoming album, "Accelerate," due April 1 via Warner Bros.

R.E.M.'s first stop was Italian restaurant Inoteca, where they filmed in a corner while business bustled around them. The band, whose members are friends with the proprietors, called ahead to set up the mini-shoot, general manager David Massoni tells Billboard.com. Diners, many of whom recognized the group, looked on with interest.

The trio then moved next door to sex toy emporium Babeland around 8 p.m. A pair of cameras captured them playing near the window display at the front of the store to an audience of surprised employees. Babeland co-owner Claire Cavanah says a band representative had called just that afternoon proposing the store as a location for part of the video.

"Of course, we were thrilled," she says. By the end of the band's 30-minute performance, a crowd of onlookers had gathered outside the store, according to manager Ana Moran.

Leading up to the release of "Accelerate," R.E.M. will be performing in March at Stubb's Bar-B-Q in Austin, Texas as part of the South by Southwest festival, as well as near Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., at the Langerado Music Festival.

Meanwhile, the band has set up an album countdown site, ninetynights.com, which features a new video snippet each day.

1) Murmer

2) Fables

3) Reckoning

4) Lifes Rich Pageant

5) Document

5a) Chronic Town

most disappointing band in history last few records

i won't even bother listening to the next steaming pile

only the last 2 stunk, Up had some fantastic songs, and Adventures is a top 5 REM album for me (prolly top 3)

i think this new one may surprise some people...

another billboard.com article

R.E.M. Rocks Hard On New 'Accelerate'

R.E.M.

January 25, 2008, 10:55 AM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

After two consecutive albums dominated by mid-tempo fare, R.E.M. gets back to its stripped-down, fast-paced rock roots on "Accelerate," due April 1 via Warner Bros. The 11-track set, which gets in and out in a lightning-quick 34 minutes and change, is led by the single "Supernatural Superserious."

Opener "Living Well's the Best Revenge" sets the tone, with a prominent lead guitar figure from Peter Buck, thumping, melodic bass lines and backing vocals from Mike Mills and a rapid stream of lyrics from frontman Michael Stipe. The track almost seems like a musical cousin to "Just a Touch" from 1986's "Life's Rich Pageant."

The up-tempo approach extends to "Supernatural Superserious," a video for which was shot earlier this week on Manhattan's Lower East Side. "You realize your fantasies are dressed up in travesties / enjoy yourself with no regrets," Stipe instructs on the track, which should hit radio sometime next month.

Elsewhere, "Hollow Man" begins as a piano ballad but quickly morphs into a revved-up chorus, while "Horse To Water" is a noisy, angular rocker with the unmistakable stamp of R.E.M.'s pre-major label days.

Among the slower departures are "Houston," which is vaguely reminiscent of the vintage "Swan Swan H," and the politically charged "Until the Day Is Done" ("The verdict is dire / the country's in ruins," Stipe sings).

A number of the "Accelerate" tracks were premiered last summer during "working rehearsal" shows in Dublin. The album was produced by Jacknife Lee, best known for his work with Snow Patrol and U2.

Here is the track list for "Accelerate":

"Living Well's the Best Revenge"

"Mansized Wreath"

"Supernatural Superserious"

"Hollow Man"

"Houston"

"Accelerate"

"Until the Day Is Done"

"Mr. Richards"

"Sing for the Submarine"

"Horse To Water"

"I'm Gonna DJ"