Now Playin' Jan. '08

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please elaborate. Thanks.

Had the promo through the post today.

It's good.

On my second listen now. A few flourishes from Danger Mouse, but otherwise it's without doubt a BK album.

If more mellow than usual.

Very short too, only 40 mins. A couple of great riffs on it to and closing track "Things Ain

Had the promo through the post today.

It's good.

On my second listen now. A few flourishes from Danger Mouse, but otherwise it's without doubt a BK album.

If more mellow than usual.

Very short too, only 40 mins. A couple of great riffs on it to and closing track "Things Ain't Like They Used to Be" is really beautiful.

ugh... do not say that... the last one was their mellowest album to date and my least favorite of theirs :-/

the song on Youtube sounds fab.

ugh... do not say that... the last one was their mellowest album to date and my least favorite of theirs :-/

the song on Youtube sounds fab.

I think I need to go back to Magic Potion as a comparison. But the first couple of songs are definitely laid back.

There's some killer riffs on it though.

51exXgX0+oL._AA240_.jpg

I've been listening to these guys a lot since I was tipped off last August (thanks Kyle), but for some reason I cannot get enough of them today. I think Walcott kicks my ass a little more every time I listen to it.

And I'm still a little bummed that Ladies Of Cambridge was left off the official release... b-side or not.

yeah, they should have put Ladies/Boston on instead of M79 (good song, but that fakey synth/string riff kind of annoys me)

I Stand Corrected is friggin' FAB though... love that song

have you seen their Take Away Show yet?

it might be the best one on the entire site, no lie :)

I Stand Corrected is friggin' FAB though... love that song

Agreed.

I like M79 enough... and really, they could have included that AND Ladies/Boston on the album without too much incident. Ah well, at least we have the Blue CDR... :pirate

Checking out the take away show now (didn't realize they'd done it)... really good shit.

The Black Keys - Attack & Release

Is that THE Trevor Bayliss - the inventor in his shed genius?

No, they just take his name. They're part of the new tap-rock movement - I don't know precisely what tap-rock actually is but on listening to this album I'd say it was a lot of close mic'ed knuckle-knocking on wood instead of trad drums and percussion. Confusing, no? Still, best music I've heard to come out of Roehampton in many a year.

Next in the NP queue, two of the best albums I've heard so far this year:

El Guincho - Alegranza

and then

Hot Chip - Made in the Dark

EDIT: In fact, lets have the covers for them both:

295909L.jpg

51026eWDqQL._AA240_.jpg

Any record cover that features a parrot has got to be worth a listen. What do they sound like?

That's the El Guincho cover and put simply they/he sounds like Animal Collective. Only more tropical. In Spanish and without Avey Tare's vocal 'style'.

That's the El Guincho cover and put simply they/he sounds like Animal Collective. Only more tropical. In Spanish and without Avey Tare's vocal 'style'.

I got my copy on Monday from Rough Trade, but it didn't play on my main cd player. It did play on my computer and also on my walkman cd thingy. I am annoyed! I sent it back so that hopefully the next one they send will work. (I did burn a copy, of course - so I can still listen to it) Which I will be doing in a bit.

51m9Ww5WZlL._AA240_.jpg31CVQHAK1EL._AA240_.jpg

41J02P1115L._AA240_.jpg51S3APX8M5L._AA240_.jpg21Z822568QL._AA130_.jpg

Dennis Wilson - Pacific Ocean Blue

Cotton Mather - The Big Picture

Jason Falkner - Presents Author Unknown

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Live Seeds

The Flashing Lights - Where the Change Is