Now Playin' Jan. '08

Brighter_than_creations_dark.jpg

Strange, never thought that I'd be bored by one of their releases. Dislike intensely yes, but be bored by, no. To write off the record because Isbell isn't there is a pretty facile thing to do, but perhaps its correct.

Sorry, don't mean to cause a reaction with this post, the DBTs will just never be my thing.

'Bob ain't light in the loafers

He might kneel but he never bends over'

uugh.

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To write off the record because Isbell isn't there is a pretty facile thing to do, but perhaps its correct.

Not, really, no. Geezis, bands lose and pick up members all the time...

This is the one that finally won me over. If you can be bored by the opening lines of "The Monument Valley," the pathos and craftsmanship of "Daddy Needs a Drink," or the sheer emotional aggression of something like "That Man I Shot," I think you might be taking a bit of an unfair tack in appraising this record. Just the opinion of a guy who's never cared much for this band 'til this release hit (and yes, I've revisited most of their older records; I still think they're uneven as hell, and I still think this one totally mops the floor with everything else they've done).

I'm spinnin' this today while I work:

Vagabonds_13395a.jpg

Pretty sure it only leaked about a day ago. Anybody else give it a listen yet?

came in the mail last Thur. it's pretty good... first listen i was a little disappointed as it didn't impress me as much as i'd hoped, but it's grown on me a lot over the course of 6-7 listens.

it's much more subtle & low key than the Jayhawks. hardly any of the soaring harmonies from Gary, but it's still got 4-5 truly fantastic tracks.

not quite what i'd hoped for, but a very good solid first solo effort.

Not, really, no. Geezis, bands lose and pick up members all the time...

This is the one that finally won me over. If you can be bored by the opening lines of "The Monument Valley," the pathos and craftsmanship of "Daddy Needs a Drink," or the sheer emotional aggression of something like "That Man I Shot," I think you might be taking a bit of an unfair tack in appraising this record. Just the opinion of a guy who's never cared much for this band 'til this release hit (and yes, I've revisited most of their older records; I still think they're uneven as hell, and I still think this one totally mops the floor with everything else they've done).

No. Not. Really. I've had most of the albums over the years and it ALWAYS comes down to the Isbell songs. Outfit, Decoration Day, Danko/Manuel, Daylight, those were the ones that made an impression. Without Isbell, they seem impressionless.

No. Not. Really. I've had most of the albums over the years and it ALWAYS comes down to the Isbell songs. Outfit, Decoration Day, Danko/Manuel, Daylight, those were the ones that made an impression. Without Isbell, they seem impressionless.

Well, it's one opinion, I guess. I'm on the diametric opposite side of it, though, definitely. The songs on this record have made a tremendous impact on me, to the point where I don't imagine any other record will end up topping my best of '08 list at the end of the year. Even the slight songs shake like an epileptic.

Well, it's one opinion, I guess. I'm on the diametric opposite side of it, though, definitely. The songs on this record have made a tremendous impact on me, to the point where I don't imagine any other record will end up topping my best of '08 list at the end of the year. Even the slight songs shake like an epileptic.

my wife could probably help you with your condition ;)

Love this album. My favorite hip hop album of last year.

Yeah, I've been really impressed with it. It strikes me as being a lot more than just a hip hop record, or, at least my impression of hip hop.

Any more records like this I should check out?

31C4BJVWR8L._AA240_.jpg51wmCK8c3tL._AA240_.jpg

4148V6AVKRL._AA240_.jpg418838FR7WL._AA240_.jpg

Frisbie - The Subversive Sounds Of Love

Mark Sultan - The Sultanic Verses

Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes

Stiff Records Box Set (disc 3)

Sonu Nigam - compilation

You just may be correct.