Yes. The Flaming Lips are just fun. His voice isn't super, but when I saw them, I didn't care....at all.

Their show is a fun, uplifting party. I'd truly be shocked if someone saw their show and didn't have a good time.

And despite the emphasis on partying, their genius pshyh-rock music still shines. Pompeii is an amazing song live.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who cares about Wayne's voice; Steven rocks!

Amen.

The guy really is an amazing musician/artist.

If you somehow get tired of the balloons and confetti and gong and dancing costume people and lasers and ufo and video screen.....

then keep yours on Drozd. He's awesome.

Christmas on Mars. This is going to be awesomely bad! Has anyone seen this at any of the festivals it has been screened?

We saw it at Wakarusa the next night after we saw the Lips. Loud, bizarre, entertaining, and loud. (Did I say loud?) That's the movie. The Lips? Earnest, positive, and fun. Also loud, bizarre, entertaining, and loud. After seeing them live, they are my 10 y/o son's favorite band.

• 1 month later...
Flaming Lips Unveil 'Mars' CD/DVD Details

September 25, 2008 , 2:00 PM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

The Flaming Lips' long-in-the-works film "Christmas on Mars" will arrive Oct. 28 on DVD via Warner Bros. A separate edition bundles the Lips' original score on CD with the DVD.

Among the DVD bonus features are band interviews, behind-the-scenes footage, an outtake and, of course, Russian subtitles.

"Christmas on Mars," which stars Lips bandmates Wayne Coyne, Steven Drozd and Michael Ivins, was shot on the cheap in and around the band's native Oklahoma City. It revolves around the first holiday season on the freshly colonized Red Planet; Drozd is Major Sytris, who aims to marshall Christmas cheer with a big pageant, but a series of events threaten the survival of the colonists, much less their holiday plans. Coyne plays a friendly Martian who offers his assistance.

The film premiered in May at the Sasquatch! Festival in Washington state, and has since screened at a handful of cities, including New York. Additional screenings are in the works for the fall.

Of the score, Coyne told Billboard this summer, "Elements of it sound very much like Bernard Herrmann in a room with Igor Stravinsky, and they hashed out, you take this scene, I'll take this scene."

Here is the track list for "Christmas on Mars":

"Once Beyond Hopelessness"

"The Distance Between Mars And The Earth -- Part One"

"The Horrors Of Isolation: The Celestial Dissolve, Triumphant Hallucination, Light Being Absorbed"

"In Excelsior Vaginalistic"

"Your Spaceship Comes From Within"

"Suicide And Extraordinary Mistakes"

"The Distance Between Mars And The Earth -- Part Two"

"The Secret Of Immortality: This Strange Feeling, This Impossible World"

"The Gleaming Armament Of Marching Genitalia"

"The Distress Signals Of Celestial Objects"

"Space Bible With Volume Lumps"

"Once Beyond Hopelessness"

If you only see one concert in your entire life, it should be the Flaming Lips. It is a spectacle to be seen.

82941__lipton_l.jpg

Agreed. Its not just a concert, its a Happening. I've seen them 9 times and each time had been different and wonderful. I'd drop everything if they came within 200 miles of my town and go. Incredible.

Saw them open for the Butthole Surfers when Vaseline was a hit. Good show, definitely better than the Stone Temple Pilots, who were also on the bill.

Then there was the Music Against Brain Degeneration tour (1999?) at the Metro, which had Robin Hitchcock and Sebadoh on the bill with them. That was a great show but nowhere near the current level of 'spectacle' that is their current schtick. They did hand out FM radios with headphones to everyone who wanted one so you could hear the show in stereo. That was cool and took a lot of effort on their part.

Saw them a few years ago in the Olympia in Dublin.

Damn fine gig. We were in the venue early as my friend was taping and wanted to get a good spot. The venue was only half full when they came on stage to soundcheck. The played one or two tunes, had a quick chat with a few of us and then left the stage again.

They came back on about 3/4 of a hour later and blew the place apart. An amazing gig.

• 3 weeks later...

I have finally gotten into this band, just picked up yoshimi yesterday and it is all that I have been listening too. Anyone have any recomendations for a 2nd FP purchase? I was recommended At War With The Mystics but I'm kinda in the mood for something from an earlier time frame

I have finally gotten into this band, just picked up yoshimi yesterday and it is all that I have been listening too. Anyone have any recomendations for a 2nd FP purchase? I was recommended At War With The Mystics but I'm kinda in the mood for something from an earlier time frame

Get: "The Soft Bulletin" STAT.

If you like Yoshimi, I think you'll love Soft Bulletin. Frankly, it makes me happy to be a human. For your few first listens, I recommend playing it straight through rather than on shuffle or in some sort of mix. I particularly enjoy listening to it while I'm cooking. There's even a song that mentions putting the vegetables away. :D At War with the Mystics is fun, but I wouldn't consider it essential.

I agree that Soft Bulletin is a MUST.

To me, "Clouds Tastes Metallic" then "Transmissions from the Satellite Heart" would be my next picks.

After that.....if you still dig them....you can try some of their earlier projects or EP's like The Day They Shot a Hole in the Jesus Egg/Priest Driven Ambulance or something like the Ego Tripping at the Gates of Hell EP (which contains the best Christmas song nobody has ever heard of, "A Change at Christmas"). These are all great, but maybe more of an acquired taste to some.

ALSO....I REALLY love the Flaming Lips Late Night Tales cd. It's a 20-track cd with songs hand-picked from other artists by the Flaming Lips. You can really hear where some of their influences came from. Plus, it does have ONE Flaming Lips track, a cover of the White Stripes' Seven Nation Army.

I agree that Soft Bulletin is a MUST.

To me, "Clouds Tastes Metallic" then "Transmissions from the Satellite Heart" would be my next picks.

After that.....if you still dig them....you can try some of their earlier projects or EP's like The Day They Shot a Hole in the Jesus Egg/Priest Driven Ambulance or something like the Ego Tripping at the Gates of Hell EP (which contains the best Christmas song nobody has ever heard of, "A Change at Christmas"). These are all great, but maybe more of an acquired taste to some.

ALSO....I REALLY love the Flaming Lips Late Night Tales cd. It's a 20-track cd with songs hand-picked from other artists by the Flaming Lips. You can really hear where some of their influences came from. Plus, it does have ONE Flaming Lips track, a cover of the White Stripes' Seven Nation Army.

Good advice! My favorite is Soft Bulletin hands down. Yoshimi is next. In my opinion, At War With Mystics gets a bad rap because it is not as good as those two, but it is still a great album and my choice for #3 spot. Clouds and Transmissions round out the top 5. There is some good stuff on Zaireeka too, but I would suggest finding one of the "bootlegged" pre-mixed versions that float around. The four CD version is just not feasible for most. There are some pre-mixed Zaireeka tracks on the Soft Bulletin Companion too.

>At War With Mystics gets a bad rap because it is not as good as those two,

that's not why i give it a bad rap. i hear songs like "The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song" and "Free Radicals" and just want to give up on the whole enterprise.

-justin

I like Yeah Yeah Yeah. It's fun. I agree Free Radicals gets old real fast though. Still, even if you don't like those songs, there are 10 other songs on the album and most of them are pretty great.

>At War With Mystics gets a bad rap because it is not as good as those two,

that's not why i give it a bad rap. i hear songs like "The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song" and "Free Radicals" and just want to give up on the whole enterprise.

-justin

It's a terrible cliche, but those songs are much better live. I find AWWTM to be poor by Lips standards and a significant blow to their great run.

i saw them live shortly after the release. directly before that, someone had sent me a bootleg, so i knew what to expect: really poor vocals from Wayne and a bad mix. i knew it was all about the show experience, which was fantastic. that having been said, i don't think i need to go see them live again.

-justin

At War With the Mystics isn't their best, but to me, it's still a great listen.

Sound of Failure, Vein of Stars, It Overtakes Me (the 2nd half), Mr. Ambulance Driver, Pompeii, and Going On are all BEAUTIFUL songs....musically and lyrically. Yeah Yeah Yeah and The Wand add some much-needed grit to the record.

If it's the Lips' worst record, that proves how PHENOMENAL the Lips (who've been around awhile) are.

I agree with those that find the goodness in At War with the Mystics. It's not my favorite, but it is much better than many would have you believe. Even a song like Yeah Yeah Yeah isn't without its charms (it's a fun pop song with great hooks.)

I agree with those that find the goodness in At War with the Mystics. It's not my favorite, but it is much better than many would have you believe. Even a song like Yeah Yeah Yeah isn't without its charms (it's a fun pop song with great hooks.)

I have Yeah Yeah Yeah on my playlist for when i run and the ending part that starts around 3:45 always gives me a nice boost.