• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw them for the first time in October in Charlotte - started a thread asking VC'rs what to expect and the basic response was that you'll be smiling for days afterwards. True. Very charismatic and interactive. Some superhero passed out laser pointers right before the show so everyone was playing with those and Wayne said at one point to let him "have it" with the lasers. What a visual. And that was just a small part.

Everyone at the show was smiling and it was the friendliest crowd I'd ever been in.

I will NEVER pass up an op to see them live.

Seen them 7 times starting on NYE 2003 with The White Stripes. I was fortunate enough to catch Kliph and Stephen backstage at the All Good festival in 2005 and my girlfriend at the time and I were asked to dress in animal costumes and dance on stage with them that night for their 10pm performance. Well, there were storms later that day, and we started drinking whiskey. The Lips were pushed pack to a 2am slot and it couldn't have been a better day/night for me. One of the most fun times of my life.

I saw them at Fletchers (which maybe holds 200 people???) in Baltimore back in 1999. Got my face blasted off by the sound and Wayne squirted fake blood on people in the first row (Which I was in) he also gave me a high five. Show was loud, intense, bright, crazy and memorable. I have seen them a few times after but in larger venues much further back. Still a great time. I just wish they would mix up their setlist a bit! :music

I have seen the Lips twice live and I thoroughly enjoyed those two shows and I will never see them again. The spectacle is the focus -- and that's fine. But for me, the spectacle is old. I am much happier to close my eyes and listen to a band totally nail a tune. That's not what a Lips show is about.

I have seen the Lips twice live and I thoroughly enjoyed those two shows and I will never see them again.

I kind of feel the same way. But then again I've seen Blue Man Group a handful of times over the years. The spectacle of that does not change but it is still pretty fun.

I have seen the Lips twice live and I thoroughly enjoyed those two shows and I will never see them again. The spectacle is the focus -- and that's fine. But for me, the spectacle is old. I am much happier to close my eyes and listen to a band totally nail a tune. That's not what a Lips show is about.

Their performance is not delicate, but I've heard them totally nail a tune (and totally not nail one) even with the backing tracks. You might not be able to see it through the confetti but (from both times I've seen them), Steven can kick some ass live, hearing the drums live is always worth it too, and I don't know how Michael holds up but I could sure feel the bass. Wayne's voice is usually shot to begin with, but I suppose that's why he's in charge of the spectacle. Just wanted to say that they're not just playing a CD and throwing balloons at the audience to blind them from cardboard amps and mics that aren't plugged into anything.

• 6 months later...

This was one of the best shows I've ever been to. It was like a great big birthday party. I wrote a bit about it on my blog the day after that captured the feeling of the show. (link below) It was the most fun I've ever had, and it didn't require chemicals.

TTL

i saw them back in 2006. honestly, Wayne's voice sounds terrible untreated and the mix was bad. judging from another bootleg i heard, i realize that this is always the case. at any rate, it was an incredibly fun show regardless of them sounding like shit. still, i like their albums (except the last one, which only had a few salvageable tracks).

-justin

i saw them back in 2006. honestly, Wayne's voice sounds terrible untreated and the mix was bad. judging from another bootleg i heard, i realize that this is always the case. at any rate, it was an incredibly fun show regardless of them sounding like shit. still, i like their albums (except the last one, which only had a few salvageable tracks).

-justin

His voice was still okay in Atlanta in 06, but, like previously said, what they sound like barely matters. It's just about the most fun you're gonna have, and it didn't require chemicals. They're simply a must-see-at-least-once-in-your-life band.