• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't wait for another trade (or anything) to happen so we can talk about something (or anything) else.

Just my $0.02.

So you don't like people discussing trades or steroids? So we can discuss games and nothing else?

I think our friend cryptique is one of those people with a marginally irrational hatred for New York teams and all the attention they get.

So you don't like people discussing trades or steroids? So we can discuss games and nothing else?

I have no problems with people discussing "trades." The discussion here has been about only one trade. That's your right ... I just prefer when there's also something else in the mix.

That's how the offseason goes, and I understand that. Y'all are perfectly entitled to discuss the Santana trade as much as you want (3+ pages now, exclusively except for one post about the Orioles). All I'm saying is that I can't wait for something else to happen, because this trade isn't even official yet and it's already been beaten to death.

Carry on. I'll check back in if/when there's something else to talk about.

I think our friend cryptique is one of those people with a marginally irrational hatred for New York teams and all the attention they get.

I hate the Mets like I hate any other team. My irrational hatred is reserved for the Yankees.

Except that I don't see it as "irrational." Everybody should hate the Yankees.

All I'm saying is that I can't wait for something else to happen, because this trade isn't even official yet and it's already been beaten to death.

But "beaten to death" (other than being an opinion) is a relative term. There was/is plenty to talk about in terms of the impact the deal has not just for the Mets but other teams.

I realize discussion/analysis that goes deeper than Rah Rah stuff (and I'm not implying you here cryptique or antyone in particular) for a period of time (three pages/whatever) rankles some people, but it's also a lot of fun to hash stuff out for some of us.

I don't have a problem with the casual fan adding to the talk with fanboy-isms, I'm not sure why having discussions that go deeper bother some people,though.

But "beaten to death" (other than being an opinion) is a relative term. There was/is plenty to talk about in terms of the impact the deal has not just for the Mets but other teams.

Yup, I understand that. And I don't mean to curtail the ongoing discussion. My initial post was just my way of saying "I can't wait for something else to happen."

Just sour grapes on my part, mostly. I like to talk about baseball too, but I don't have a horse in this particular race.

Rumors out of Chicago and SF are that a deal is in place for Joe Crede to get shipped to the Giants for Noah Lowry if Crede proves healthy during Spring Training. Another rumor has Crede + prospects for Lowry + Winn. Not sure what the Sox would do with Winn. I guess he would compete for the LF starting spot w/ Carlos Quentin. But really, how many outfielders should one team trade for during one off-season?

Rumors out of Chicago and SF are that a deal is in place for Joe Crede to get shipped to the Giants for Noah Lowry if Crede proves healthy during Spring Training. Another rumor has Crede + prospects for Lowry + Winn. Not sure what the Sox would do with Winn. I guess he would compete for the LF starting spot w/ Carlos Quentin. But really, how many outfielders should one team trade for during one off-season?

Jeez, the Giants would be getting ripped off in that one.

Well, neither player is anything special, but Joe Crede is hardly better than Pedro Feliz, who they just let walk. Why lose a decent 28 year old starter for Crede.

And what the hell happened to Lowry since 05? That must've been some crazy flukey season.

Jeez, the Giants would be getting ripped off in that one.

If Crede is healthy, maybe not. He can be a borderline-dominant player when he's healthy and hitting. His back does make him a question mark, however.

Lowry's stats might suggest that he had a bit of trouble with control last year (walks up, strikeouts down). I don't know much about him ... is he a blazing-fastball guy, or what?

Well, neither player is anything special, but Joe Crede is hardly better than Pedro Feliz, who they just let walk. Why lose a decent 28 year old starter for Crede.

And what the hell happened to Lowry since 05? That must've been some crazy flukey season.

He's a little better at hitting, a little younger, and a little cheaper. Also, they offered Feliz more money than he got from Philadelphia--they didn't just let him walk.

He's a little better at hitting, a little younger, and a little cheaper. Also, they offered Feliz more money than he got from Philadelphia--they didn't just let him walk.

Well, that makes a little more sense, then. But I'm just not sold on Crede being all that great of a hitter. He's had one season of above league average OPS and that was in a hitter's park.

I'm going to look around for more info on Lowry, but does anyone know why he's crapped out so bad since an impressive 04-05? Those two didn't look like flukey years, all of the periphery stats were there. Looks like he just lost it.

Marlins sign Luis Gonzalez for 1 yr/$2 M.:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...MLB&id=1628

And sign Dallas McPherson to compete for 1st base spot (Jose Castillo/Jorge Cantu):

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/news/articl...sp&c_id=fla

NYY sign Morgan Ensberg to compete for 1st base spot (Giambi/Betamit/Duncan):

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3224591

And sign Dallas McPherson to compete for 1st base spot (Jose Castillo/Jorge Cantu):

Thats an interesting battle. McPherson was a hughly rated prospect and who knows what happened to Cantu. I thought he was going to become a superstar a few years back. He had such a quick bat.

Ensberg could be a good righty bat for the Yanks if he could be even a shadow of his former self.

Marlins sign Luis Gonzalez for 1 yr/$2 M.:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...MLB&id=1628

I love the McPherson signing, and I hate the Gonzalez one. The McPherson one is exactly the type of low risk, high upside move the Marlins need to be making. Gonzalez isn't.