He really only had 5 or 6 really great seasons.

True.

He wasn't ever a great defender.

True again. Which is what made me think of Dwight Evans' omission from HOF consideration with the Rice talks. Evans was arguably a comparable hitter and definitely a better fielder. He had a better overall career yet gets no mention in HOF consideration.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True.

True again. Which is what made me think of Dwight Evans' omission from HOF consideration with the Rice talks. Evans was arguably a comparable hitter and definitely a better fielder. He had a better overall career yet gets no mention in HOF consideration.

Yep.

There are so many players that were superior to Rice that aren't in. That is why I think all of the anger about Rice is unfounded. Sure, there are worse players in the hall, but there are better ones out.

Just plunked down my season ticket money for the Tigers. Ouuuuuch! I am so ready for this season.

Biggest key to success? Fernando Rodney!!!

Cock that hat and let 'er rip!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to the Hall of Fame, it has always struck me as odd that no one has been voted in unanimously.

11 people thought Babe Ruth was not worthy. Babe Freakin' Ruth!

Nine people thought that Hank Aaron didn't deserve to be in.

23 people didn't vote for Willy Mays.

20 people didn't vote for Ted Williams.

It took Joe Dimaggio three tries to get in.

Not to sidestep HOF talk, but it looks like things are heating up between the Cubs and Baltimore along the Brian Robers front which may pave the way for a Erik Bedard deal. So far the asking price is Sean Marshall, Sean Gallagher, and Ronnie Cedano. Personally, I think that's too high of a price for the Cubs considering their 4-5 starts are projected to be Jason Marquis (who didn't even make the playoff roster last year (or the year before)) and Ryan Dempster (who hasn't started in 3 years). If any of those guys break down, the Cubs are screwed. And I'm not sure the slight upgrade you'd get with Robers (granted, he is a pretty decent leadoff hitter) is worth the risk of trading both Marshall and Gallagher.

On the other end, it looks like Baltimore is finally wising up and trying to rebuild. I can't believe it took Andy MacPhail to convince Angelos to do it though.

Back to the Hall of Fame, it has always struck me as odd that no one has been voted in unanimously.

11 people thought Babe Ruth was not worthy. Babe Freakin' Ruth!

Yeah, but the Babe got in on the first ballot, and maybe those 11 people voted for Cy Young. Cy Young did not make it the first year they inducted players to the HOF. Neither did Tris Speaker or Nap Lajoie.

So I doubt those 11 people thought he wasn't worthy.

Old-time reporters like Jack Lang always said that the original BBWAA voters were outrageously stringent. Isn't it impossible to imagine Joe DiMaggio NOT getting in on the first try???

Who do you think could be the first unanimous Hall-of-Famer, if anyone? Of course it's early to speculate on current players, but just for fun... Alex Rodriguez? Albert Pujols?

Also, just thought of it and am wondering about your opinion... is Ken Griffey, Jr., a first-ballot HOFer?

Clemens and Bonds would be no-brainer first-ballot inductees, but the steroids/HGH/whatever controversy may derail that.

The only current player who comes to mind as a surefire first-ballot inductee is Greg Maddux. If he doesn't make it in on his first attempt, there's truly something wrong with the system.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some others, but Maddux is obvious. (Is he a "current" player anymore, though?)

Excluding steroids guys, because that complicates things too much...

Definate first ballot guys:

Ken Griffey, Jr.

Greg Maddux

Alex Rodriguez

Pedro Martinez

Ichiro

Mike Piazza

Maybe/Likely:

Pudge Rodriguez

Derek Jeter (I don't think he's really a first ballot guy, but think he will be viewed as one by the BBWAA)

Frank Thomas

Manny Ramirez

Randy Johnson

Too early in their career to really speculate, but because it's fun to:

Albert Pujols

Johan Santana

Miguel Cabrera

Ryan Howard

Jake Peavy

Maybe/Likely:

Pudge Rodriguez

Derek Jeter (I don't think he's really a first ballot guy, but think he will be viewed as one by the BBWAA)

Frank Thomas

Manny Ramirez

Randy Johnson

Wow, I would put all those guys are first-ballot HOFers.

I pretty much agree with all of these, but how about a potential unanimous selection (receiving 100% of the BBWAA vote)?

All time voting percentage results

I could see someone like A-Rod possibly being the first-ever unanimous selection...

A-Rod is good enough, but I think some of the writers make a point of making sure no one gets elected unanimously, so someone won't vote for him just to stop the unanimous selection.

Yeah, but the Babe got in on the first ballot, and maybe those 11 people voted for Cy Young. Cy Young did not make it the first year they inducted players to the HOF. Neither did Tris Speaker or Nap Lajoie.

So I doubt those 11 people thought he wasn't worthy.

Assuming the rule that they could vote for 10 players was in effect, I still have a hard time believing that 11 people didn't think Babe Ruth was among the top 10 players in 1936.

It is interesting to see who did and didn't get votes though.

HOF Vote for 1936

But you are right, Cy Young didn't have much support at all. (But in the writers' defense, it's not as though he ever won the Cy Young award.)

From the New York Post:

January 11, 2008 -- The door is open wide for the Mets to land Johan Santana, but the Twins' asking price is still too high, industry sources told the Post yesterday.

The superstar left-hander could be a perfect fit for the Mets and could land at Shea Stadium, but not for the reported five top prospects, including pitcher Deolis Guerra and outfielders Carlos Gomez and Fernando Martinez.

The two teams continue to talk and word out of Minnesota yesterday was that, yes, the Mets could snare Cy Young Santana for the right price, but as far as the Mets are concerned, that five-for-one deal is not the right price.

Santana, who owns an amazing lifetime 93-44 record, is a free agent after the 2008 season. If traded, he figures to sign a six-year deal for $150 million.

Don't count out the Yankees. Though their offer has been off the table since the winter meetings, it can be quickly revived, according to sources. The Yankees are hoping Joba Chamberlain blossoms into a No. 1 starter, and that could happen as fast as Chamberlain's meteoric rise through the system this past season.

Adding Santana, however, would give the Yankees someone to match up against Boston's Josh Beckett right now and take some of that top-of-the-rotation heat off Chamberlain. The Yankees continue to have internal discussions on whether to push to make the deal for Santana, using Phil Hughes as key trade bait or go with the current young staff, anchored by veteran Andy Pettitte.

If past dealings are any indication, you can expect the Yankees to make another push for Santana.

The Mets are said to be offering 18-year-old Guerra; Gomez, who scouts say will be a star center fielder; right-hander Kevin Mulvey, who rose up the system last season and is expected to make his way to Shea sometime this season and Phil Humber. To get the deal done, the Minneapolis Star Tribune reported yesterday, the Mets also would have to throw in Martinez, the jewel of the farm system.

Mets sources told the Post they would not make such a trade, sending away all those top-level prospects. They also have made it clear they are not trading Jose Reyes. If this deal is to get done, the Mets would be willing to give up some prospects, but not all those mentioned.

In fact, the Twins have not decided exactly what kind of package they want for Santana, simply pros pects or a deal for major-league ready players or a combi nation of both. New Twins general manager Billy Smith is taking his time, because he is following GM Terry Ryan, who made a series of one- sided deals for Minnesota.

This Santana shit will go on all the way to the trading deadline.

I doubt it'll go past the end of Spring Training. They'll get more for him before the season starts than mid-season or end of season.