• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was in yesterday's Boston Globe:

A few questions for Goose Gossage, who stands a very good chance of being elected to the Hall of Fame Tuesday:

Is Jim Rice a Hall of Famer?

GG: "Absolutely. Are you kidding me? There weren't many hitters that I feared when I came into the game, but when Jimmy stepped to the plate, he was as close as I came to being scared. And for a power hitter, he could really hit. That's very rare. I can't think of too many people I respected more in the game. If I could go into Cooperstown with Jimmy, even though we were rivals and he was a Red Sox and I was a Yankee, I couldn't be more proud of that."

Why is it so hard to say that player is/was a "Red Sock"?

Why is it so hard to spell "Socks"?

As a White "Sox" fan, I probably shouldn't be asking that question. :ermm

New criteria for the Hall of Fame: Did the player have Goose Gossage's respect?

Not specifically. But one of the "soft" criteria does seem to be whether the player was respected by his peers. In the last baseball thread someone asserted that Rice was the most feared hitter in baseball for five years and someone else questioned that statement.

The Rice question is a tough one for me. As I mentioned in the previous baseball thread he was my favorite player when I was a kid. I saw him play dozens of times, he put up some really good numbers, and it was fun to watch him hit. But is he a Hall of Famer? I'm stealing someone else's line here, but if there was a Hall of Really Really Good Players, he'd be a shoo-in.

Yay, Zito!

2175752700_c657a95a4f.jpg

For what it's worth, neither of us knowing a damn thing about baseball, my mom and I are rooting for Rod Beck. Or she would be, if she knew that such a thing was going on.

edit: Yes, my mom is incapable of setting the date stamp on her camera. That was taken a week before christmas.

Not for nothing, but the McCormick kids are far better-looking than Mr. Z. That must've been a lot of fun!

:cheekkiss

The little guy is a major chatterbox most of the time, but the minute BZ arrived, he clammed up entirely. And the middle one, the girl in the stripes on the left, absolutely refused to smile in a picture with santa earlier that day. That picture captures the closest thing to a smile I've seen on her face in months.

Blyleven

Dawson

Gossage

Trammell

As much as I would love to see it because I am a Tigers fan, I don't see any way that Trammell makes it. I think Blyleven and Gossage, and maybe McGuire get in. McGuire has an outside chance but I think there is too much going on with the steroids at the moment for him to get in. I know that HGH was legal when he took it, but it isn't now, and I think that it will make a difference with the writers who who have stated that they will never vote for anybody who was ever caught taking roids.

I'm a Tigers fan and I love Tramm, but no way is he a Hall of Famer.

Anyway, it looks like Gossage is the only one who got in this year.

Rich Gossage 85.8%

Jim Rice 72.2%

Andre Dawson 65.9%

Bert Blyleven 61.9%

Lee Smith 43.3%

Jack Morris 42.9%

Tommy John 29.1%

Tim Raines 24.3%

Mark McGwire 23.6%

Alan Trammell 18.2%

Dave Concepcion 16.2%

Don Mattingly 15.8%

Dave Parker 15.1%

Dale Murphy 13.8%

Harold Baines 5.2%

Rod Beck 0.4%

Travis Fryman 0.4%

Robb Nen 0.4%

Shawon Dunston 0.2%

Chuck Finley 0.2%

David Justice 0.2%

Chuck Knoblauch 0.2%

Todd Stottlemyre 0.2%

Jose Rijo 0%

Brady Anderson 0%

Todd Stottlemyre got some votes? Chuck Knoblauch?

If some fuckers voted for Stottlemyre or Knoblauch but not Rice, keeping Rice below the necessary 75%, I'm gonna have to administer a beating or two.

Voting for one doesn't prevent you from voting for another... often-times its writers who have become close with players who put a vote down for them just out of respect, but not expecting them to make it necessarily. If a writer voted for Todd or Chuck, it didn't necessarily prevent him or her from voting for Jim.

Voting for one doesn't prevent you from voting for another... often-times its writers who have become close with players who put a vote down for them just out of respect, but not expecting them to make it necessarily. If a writer voted for Todd or Chuck, it didn't necessarily prevent him or her from voting for Jim.

I know -- all I'm saying is that if anyone's ballot included Stottlemyre or Knoblauch but not Rice, I've got a can opener and a ready supply of whoopass.