Lou Reed vs. John Cale

So, whose post-Velvets work do you prefer.

While Lou is more popular, and I can certainly appreciate his work (and do love a lot of it), I think that Cale's stuff is a lot more adventurous, interesting, and enjoyable, overall. In fact he has higher highs, without hitting the lows that Lou dredged.

I'm listening to Paris, 1919 right now and am convinced that it is one of the 10 greatest albums in the history of the rock era. The title track just about moves me to tears. And, it doesn't let up for 30 minutes. Simply a perfect album, of the same ilk (and in the same league) as Pet Sounds.

And that's not to mention Fear, Helen Of Troy, Vintage Violence, or his Wrong Way Up collaboration with Eno.

Who do you prefer?

And, if you are not familiar with John Cale's solo work, please do yourself a favor and get acquainted with it.

I'll be wishy-washy (or a Gemini) and say that I like them both a lot.

I was playing Wrong Way Up a couple of days ago but I also listened to the Blue Mask the other day.

Cale's cover of Hallelujah might be my favorite version of that song and Berlin is my favorite depressing album.

Depends. I was Lou Reed obsessive for a long time and I've burned myself out on him for a while. I've gone through some pretty intense Cale phases too though. At the moment I guess I'd rather listen to John Cale.

And for no particular reason, top 5 for both:

Lou Reed

1. Berlin

2. The Blue Mask

3. New York

4. The Bells

5. Street Hassle

John Cale

1. Sabotage

2. Fear

3. Helen of Troy

4. Paris 1919

5. Music for a New Society

Lou Reed by billions of miles. John Cale doesn't even touch him.

Now people, if this post of mine is a mirror of your own arguments, I win the first point.

Alright, to expand on what I said - John Cale wrote Cable Hogue, I Keep A Close Watch, Guts, Barracuda, Gideon's Bible, Charlemagne, Hanky Panky Nohow, Paris 1919 etc... And Lou Reed didn't. There is just far more diversity and songwriting ability on display within Cale's career than Reed. Lou Reed tends to be more depressive or when he's not, he's a bit poncey. Plus, as was said, Cale's production alone puts him on a higher plain. Also, I feel Lou Reed kind of has an act he puts on of coolness, where as John Cale clearly just is cool. (he wouldn't make 'is' italic like me, cos he's too cool to need to highlight those sorts of things -for example)

Well, but Cale didn't write "Walk on the Wild Side", "Make Up", "Satellite of Love", "Perfect Day", "Berlin", "Caroline Says", "Street Hassle", etc...

I like John Cale, but I think Lou is a better singer, and his rock'n'roll sensibility is less arty.

Of course, the legend of Lou Reed was essentially written with the VU material to me. John Cale doesn't have stuff like "Sweet jane", "What Goes On" or "Waiting for my Man" in his catalog.

Well, but Cale didn't write "Walk on the Wild Side", "Make Up", "Satellite of Love", "Perfect Day", "Berlin", "Caroline Says", "Street Hassle", etc...

I like John Cale, but I think Lou is a better singer, and his rock'n'roll sensibility is less arty.

Of course, the legend of Lou Reed was essentially written with the VU material to me. John Cale doesn't have stuff like "Sweet jane", "What Goes On" or "Waiting for my Man" in his catalog.

Please note the first post:

So, whose post-Velvets work do you prefer.
By the way: I think Songs for Drella is an excellent Reed & Cale album.
Acctually this is one of the best albums that either of them have (or had) released in awhile (I realize this is years ago too...)

While Cale has put out interesting albums, I would still go with Reed, simply because in general he is a better songwritter. Cale has done plenty of interesting stuff however.

LouieB

Surprised to see Cale getting the nod here, as he's never done much for me, at least not outside the Velvets. Paris 1919 gets a ton of positive ink, so when I finally checked it out I was surprised to find that it sounded like a boring, homogeneous mass of music. Just couldn't get into it at all.

Lou by miles of aisles. That's my answer. Yeah, he's got some egregious lows, for sure, but the highs are astonishing. I probably enjoy his solo canon a bit more than the Velvets', truth be known.

Alright, to expand on what I said - John Cale wrote Cable Hogue, I Keep A Close Watch, Guts, Barracuda, Gideon's Bible, Charlemagne, Hanky Panky Nohow, Paris 1919 etc... And Lou Reed didn't. There is just far more diversity and songwriting ability on display within Cale's career than Reed. Lou Reed tends to be more depressive or when he's not, he's a bit poncey. Plus, as was said, Cale's production alone puts him on a higher plain. Also, I feel Lou Reed kind of has an act he puts on of coolness, where as John Cale clearly just is cool. (he wouldn't make 'is' italic like me, cos he's too cool to need to highlight those sorts of things -for example)

There you go, I think that post says it all. Even John Cale thinks so, he is in my garage building a time machine and he said "tell that boyo he is spot on".

In a better Welsh accent obviously.

Acctually this is one of the best albums that either of them have (or had) released in awhile (I realize this is years ago too...)

While Cale has put out interesting albums, I would still go with Reed, simply because in general he is a better songwritter. Cale has done plenty of interesting stuff however.

LouieB

I'm not overly familiar with Cale's records (I only have two). But Lou Reed - he's just one of my favorites ever. "Rock and Roll Animal" never left my turntable for a long time. And as I have said numerous times on here "New York" is simply one of my favorite records of all time.

Paris 1919 is a favorite of mine. (And I think Cale does the definitive version of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah." Sorry Jeff Buckley fans.)

I don't think I own any of Lou Reed's post-Velvets work aside from Berlin, and it scares the shit out of me.)

Paris 1919 is a favorite of mine. (And I think Cale does the definitive version of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah." Sorry Jeff Buckley fans.)

I don't think I own any of Lou Reed's post-Velvets work aside from Berlin, and it scares the shit out of me.)

Berlin scares the shit out of you? or that you don't have any more LR albums?

I'd have to go with Lou--though Paris 1919, imo, is better than anything lou's made post velvets. Vintage Violence is great too, but fear is hit and miss and after that doesn't really go with me. With Lou, as has been noted, you have a lot of crap. But you have a handful of great records: Transformer, Berlin, The Blue Mask, Coney Island Baby, New York. All great stuff. And he's just the man.

That being said, both are important to me and I would love to see them go on tour together!

I read on another board that last week Lou did a show (for about 100 people!) with Laurie Anderson and John Zorn. That would have been something to see.