so, i've heard mostly just some of their token 'hits' and have recently really gotten into the song "A Well Respected Man" from the Juno soundtrack. i thinks it's about time to check out some full albums from these guys. can you people point me in the right direction? what are your favourite albums?

thanks! :thumbup

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My top 5 would be:

The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society

Muswell Hillbillies

Arthur or the Decline and Fall of the British Empire

Lola Versus Powerman and the Money-Go-Round

Something Else.

I think Muswell Hillbillies tends to be somewhat polarizing but it can be my favorite depending on my mood. I happen to think Something Else is overrated but I know some people like it a lot as well. I'd say that Village Green is the best place to start if you already know their hits.

"Kinda Kinks" is a really good record. "The Kink Kontroversy" rips also. I am more of a 60's Kinks fan, songs like "Autumn Almanac" , "Days" and "Nothin' in this World Could Stop me from worrying about that Girl" are amazing. My brother is huge on the record "Lola Versus Powerman".

As you know BG I'm a big fan of live records. You cannot go wrong with One For The Road - it begs to be cranked loud!

My top 5 would be:

The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society

Muswell Hillbillies

Arthur or the Decline and Fall of the British Empire

Lola Versus Powerman and the Money-Go-Round

Something Else.

I think Muswell Hillbillies tends to be somewhat polarizing but it can be my favorite depending on my mood. I happen to think Something Else is overrated but I know some people like it a lot as well. I'd say that Village Green is the best place to start if you already know their hits.

I concur. It took me too long, until I was like 37 years old, to listen to all these albums. Glad to see you're getting to them sooner.

A-Man, thanks for pulling up that list. When I did a search for the band, I wasn't expecting to find so many albums. I had no idea how prolific this band is, so I was feeling a little lost on where to start.

Thanks for all of the advice folks! :thumbup

A-Man, thanks for pulling up that list. When I did a search for the band, I wasn't expecting to find so many albums. I had no idea how prolific this band is, so I was feeling a little lost on where to start.

Thanks for all of the advice folks! :thumbup

I must have left off something from my post. I meant to say I put that list up to look at. I like the British Invasion stuff and what came after, but I don't care for a lot of those concept albums, really. I think Word of Mouth was the last one I ever bought. Give The People What They Want is a great latter album.

Edited by Analogman
I recommend the Kink Kronikles compilation to anybody looking for a starting point. It's jammed with catalogue mid-period classics, from victoria to apeman to sunny afternoon to dead end street to david watts, and much much more.

A brilliant collection.

Actually that was going to be my suggestion. Great stuff. Arthur is my personal single favorite.

LouieB

I recommend the Kink Kronikles compilation to anybody looking for a starting point. It's jammed with catalogue mid-period classics, from victoria to apeman to sunny afternoon to dead end street to david watts, and much much more.

A brilliant collection.

i'd agree if it weren't so cheap to buy the proper albums nowadays, and it's a bit like saying buy a beatles compilation - it's gonna end up being a waste of money when you find you want all the albums anyway. all the remastered albums have the singles from the period as bonus tracks, so you'll end up getting everything by just purchasing the proper albums. plus kinks kronikles is probably going to cost about as much as 2 or 3 of the albums, so i'd say go out and buy a couple of albums instead.

i'd say get:

The Kinks are the Village Green Preservation Society

Face To Face

Muswell Hillbillies

That covers 3 different kinks sounds, then get all the ones before Muswell Hillbillies to fill in the gaps (especially Arthur, and Lola). Maybe you should also order them from the UK (amazon, cos even though you might pay a little more in postage and they'll take longer, I am sure it'll turn out cheaper over all).

Village Green, Lola and Something Else are essential. . . . but don't overlook the singles which really aren't available in anything but a compilation.

I am usually not a fan of greatest hits collections, but the Rhino Greatest Hits catches a lot of the great singles and does not overlap the albums you ought to have anyway.

Village Green, Lola and Something Else are essential. . . . but don't overlook the singles which really aren't available in anything but a compilation.

I am usually not a fan of greatest hits collections, but the Rhino Greatest Hits catches a lot of the great singles and does not overlap the albums you ought to have anyway.

All the singles, with B-sides and previously unreleased stuff, have been reissued as bonus tracks of the original albums. A compilation is only useful for a cheap summary to start, but if you're a fan, you can buy only the original albums reissued on CD (Sanctuary 2004), since each of them features all its satellite singles.

All the singles, with B-sides and previously unreleased stuff, have been reissued as bonus tracks of the original albums. A compilation is only useful for a cheap summary to start, but if you're a fan, you can buy only the original albums reissued on CD (Sanctuary 2004), since each of them features all its satellite singles.

Personally, I don't think all of the material from the singles years are worth that much investigation compared to the later albums that hold together.

And I don't think a fan needs to own every scrap recorded . . .

I'm glad to see "Village Green Preservation Society" getting some love here. It's one of my all-time favorites. It's one of the albums from the British Invasion bands that I somehow missed as a kid when I was discovering the Beatles, Stones, etc., and only discovered in my twenties. Along with the Zombies' "Odyssey and Oracle" and the Stones' "Between the Buttons" (I once tended to ignore any Stones album that wasn't in the run from "Beggar's Banquet" to "Exile on Mainstreet" -- okay, still mostly do), it's one of those albums I really regret not discovering earlier.

Personally, I don't think all of the material from the singles years are worth that much investigation compared to the later albums that hold together.

And I don't think a fan needs to own every scrap recorded . . .

That's not what I said at all. I said you don't need to buy a singles collection to not miss the great singles, since they're all on the original albums reissued on CD. They're excellent reissues, with illustrated booklets, and at a ridiculous price, to boot.

Face to Face, for example, adds the following bonus to its 14 originals:

I'm Not Like Everybody Else

Dead End Street

Big Black Smoke

Mister Pleasant

This Is Where I Belong

Mr Reporter

Little Women

This is very well done, and chronologically coherent.

You can't miss that Kinks album, it's one of the great UK sixties gems in my opinion.