What have you changed your mind about?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you seen Inconvient Truth? Facts on that show it all.

:rotfl I couldn't make it through half of that pile of crap.

Marriage is a man made institution, unnatural and benefits society and not the heart. Marriage seems to take on an ownership of a person which seems wrong. I feel like the nature of love gets lost in the idea of marriage.

Marriage is not a "man made institution".

What are you smoking today?

Pears and gorgonzola together are awesome!

I've had a similar change of heart regarding mushrooms. Considering tastebuds change every seven years or so, these are pretty common mind-changes.

I've also changed my mind about people who are skeptical about global warming. They're not necessarily tree-hating dolphin-punchers. Sometimes they're people who prefer to gather information from various sources before getting all panicky.

But some of them really do love the dolphin-punching. That'll never change.

Punching the dolphin...spanking the monkey...choking the chicken.. :monkey

Marriage is definitely a man-made institution. Of course, so is the church, the NFL, etc.

Not really, but let's not get into that.

Treehugger's original link was pretty cool, so we should probably stick to the "what have you changed your mind about" thing.

Not really, but let's not get into that.

Treehugger's original link was pretty cool, so we should probably stick to the "what have you changed your mind about" thing.

Explain it then.

I don't see how it isn't a man-made institution. Seeing as, like, everything on earth is.

I changed my mind about marriage. I used to have feelings similar to the ones mentioned above. Now I believe that a marriage is whatever the people involved make it.

Explain it then.

I don't see how it isn't a man-made institution. Seeing as, like, everything on earth is.

Exactly,

Like most things, marriage is not part of nature we adopted. Marriage wasnt around since the beginning of mankind. It came about when human life expectancy was alot shorter therefore it worked then.

I believe in the future, as people get more advanced and enlightened, marriage will have different meanings to what is the popular belief now. It is what you make it. You can see even now things slowly changing.

Exactly,

Like most things, marriage is not part of nature we adopted. Marriage wasnt around since the beginning of mankind. It came about when human life expectancy was alot shorter therefore it worked then.

I believe in the future, as people get more advanced and enlightened, marriage will have different meanings to what is the popular belief now. It is what you make it. You can see even now things slowly changing.

What? So, marriage worked better when life expectancies were shorter? With all due respect, Zen, that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

What? So, marriage worked better when life expectancies were shorter? With all due respect, Zen, that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Yes, exactly. When people only lived till 30s or 40s, there was less time to grow and change as there is now. You live you die. Not saying it was the best idea then but it just worked better then. The fact is life is about being free and growing who you are, if it works out you can do that with one person your whole life, you are lucky. But if it doesnt, movin on is normal and natural. The time you spend with a person is all that matters.

The fact is life is about being free and growing who you are, if it works out you can do that with one person your whole life, you are lucky. But if it doesnt, movin on is normal and natural. The time you spend with a person is all that matters.

The part quote above is fine, but has nothing to do with marriage.

People were physically shorter back then, too. There were fewer discrepencies in height and so couples were able to feel more comfortable dancing, walking down the street, karaoke-ing, rollerbalding, etc. together than they are today. Less arguments=a closer bond=longer marriages. Think about it.

People were physically shorter back then, too. There were fewer discrepencies in height and so couples were able to feel more comfortable dancing, walking down the street, karaoke-ing, rollerbalding, etc. together than they are today. Less arguments=a closer bond=longer marriages. Think about it.

:lol

I'll pass.

Cool.

If you disagree, why not discuss it. Is it on religious reasons? Fine, I understand where you are coming from. It doesn't change the fact that from where I see it, marriage, and especially marriage in our country, which is sanctioned and governed by the federal government, is a man-made institution. If you disagree, say why. Don't just vaguely say "I disagree".

Cool.

If you disagree, why not discuss it. Is it on religious reasons? Fine, I understand where you are coming from. It doesn't change the fact that from where I see it, marriage, and especially marriage in our country, which is sanctioned and governed by the federal government, is a man-made institution. If you disagree, say why. Don't just vaguely say "I disagree".

No reason, I just didn't think this was the thread for it. True, the government regulates or "sanctions" the process of getting married, but in it's "official" or "true" form, it is a God-made institution, plain and simple. That is not to say I necessarily agree with everything the church says about marriage (I used to, so I guess this fits the thread after all), but to say it is a man-made thing like anything else and that divorce is no big deal and people move on, etc, etc; disregards the significance of the committment, which is a problem for me.

(Excuse the run-on sentence)