Made in the USA: Spoiled brats

Paraphrased from an original article posted here: http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article....RTICLE_ID=53028 but you'll get the picture.

"The other day I was reading Newsweek magazine and came across some poll data I found rather hard to believe. It must be true, given the source, right?

The Newsweek poll alleges that 67 percent of Americans are unhappy with the direction the country is headed, and 69 percent of the country is unhappy with the performance of the President. In essence, 2/3's of the citizenry just ain't happy and want a change.

So being the knuckle dragger I am, I started thinking, ''What are we so unhappy about?''

Is it that we have electricity and running water 24 hours a day, 7 days a week?

Is our unhappiness the result of having air conditioning in the summer and heating in the winter?

Could it be that 95.4 percent of these unhappy folks have a job?

Maybe it is the ability to walk into a grocery store at any time, and see more food in moments than Darfur has seen in the last year?

Maybe it is the ability to drive from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic Ocean without having to present identification papers as we move through each state?

Or possibly the hundreds of clean and safe motels we would find along the way that can provide temporary shelter?

I guess having thousands of restaurants with varying cuisine from around the world is just not good enough.

Or could it be that when we wreck our car, emergency workers show up and provide services to help all, and even send a helicopter to take you to the hospital.

Perhaps you are one of the 70 percent of Americans who own a home. You may be upset with knowing that in the unfortunate case of a fire, a group of trained firefighters will appear in moments and use top notch equipment to extinguish the flames thus saving you, your family and your belongings.

Or if, while at home watching one of your many flat screen TVs, a burglar or prowler intrudes, an officer equipped with a gun and a bullet-proof vest will come to defend you and your family against attack or loss.

This all in the backdrop of a neighborhood free of bombs or militias raping and pillaging the residents. Neighborhoods where 90 percent of teenagers own cell phones and computers.

How about the complete religious, social and political freedoms we enjoy that are the envy of everyone in the world?

Maybe that is what has 67 percent of you folks unhappy.

Fact is, we are the largest group of ungrateful, spoiled brats the world has ever seen. No wonder the world loves the U.S. , yet has a great disdain for its citizens. They see us for what we are. The most blessed people in the world who do nothing but complain about what we don't have, and what we hate about the country instead of thanking the good Lord we live here.

I know, I know. What about the President who took us into war and has no plan to get us out? The President who has a measly 31 percent approval rating? Is this the same President who guided the nation in the dark days after 9/11? The President that cut taxes to bring an economy out of recession? Could this be the same guy who has been called every name in the book for succeeding in keeping all the spoiled ungrateful brats safe from terrorist attacks?

The Commander-In Chief of an all-volunteer army that is out there defending you and me? Did you hear how bad the President is on the news or talk show? Did this news affect you so much, make you so unhappy you couldn't take a look around for yourself and see all the good things and be glad?

Think about it...are you upset at the President because he actually caused you personal pain OR is it because the "Media" told you he was failing to kiss your sorry ungrateful behind every day.

Make no mistake about it. The troops in Iraq and Afghanistan have volunteered to serve, and in many cases may have died for your freedom. There is currently no draft in this country. They didn't have to go.

They are able to refuse to go and end up with either a ''general'' discharge, an ''other than honorable'' discharge or, worst case scenario, a ''dishonorable'' discharge after a few days in the brig.

So why then the flat-out discontentment in the minds of 69 percent of Americans? Say what you want, but I blame it on the media. If it bleeds, it leads; and they specialize in bad news. Everybody will watch a car crash with blood and guts. How many will watch kids selling lemonade at the corner? The media knows this and media outlets are for-profit corporations. They offer what sells , and when criticized, try to defend their actions by "justifying" them in one way or another. Just ask why they tried to allow a murderer like O.J. Simpson to write a book about "how he didn't kill his wife, but if he did he would have done it this way"...Insane!

Stop buying the negativism you are fed everyday by the media. Shut off the TV, burn Newsweek, and use the New York Times for the bottom of your bird cage. Then start being grateful for all we have as a country. There is exponentially more good than bad.

We are among the most blessed people on Earth, and should thank God several times a day, or at least be thankful and appreciative.

"With hurricanes, tornados, fires out of control, mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another, and with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks, "Are we sure this is a good time to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?"

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, thanks for that.. Edited..

No problem - though, with all due respect, this rant misses the nail entirely - one could take it line by line and pretty much tear it apart and reveal the rather naked, poorly hidden little propaganda message that lies beneath.

While I will say that I agree that we take our luxuries and freedoms for granted, I think there's a boat-load of crap in there I couldn't disagree with any more.

Maybe we're unhappy with the state of funding for education, which is lagging sorely behind many other countries who also provide ambulances and helicopters for crash victims? Maybe we're unhappy that this war that Bush started with "no plan to get us out" is actually making us less safe than before it started. Maybe in a country that does have so much of what was mentioned it should be completely intolerable for anyone to go homeless unless they just really, really want to be homeless. (Sounds crazy, but I've run into a few of 'em.)

"Perhaps you are one of the 70 percent of Americans who own a home. You may be upset with knowing that in the unfortunate case of a fire, a group of trained firefighters will appear in moments and use top notch equipment to extinguish the flames thus saving you, your family and your belongings." Often, that kind of depends on which part of town you're living in.

Are we spoiled brats? Yeah, a lot of us are and the author is totally right in some cases. 90% of teens have cellphones and computers - kind of hard to gripe about. But maybe the rest of us just expect that we can do better for all, not just for most.

Yeah, there are some things in the article that are dressed up and inaccurate, but I think the point the author is trying to make is basically; so many people bad mouth this country and really are just spoiled brats when they really don't realize how good they have it.

Stop buying the negativism you are fed everyday by the media. Shut off the TV, burn Newsweek, and use the New York Times for the bottom of your bird cage. Then start being grateful for all we have as a country. There is exponentially more good than bad.

We are among the most blessed people on Earth, and should thank God several times a day, or at least be thankful and appreciative.

"With hurricanes, tornados, fires out of control, mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another, and with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks, "Are we sure this is a good time to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?"

sounds reasonable.

Yeah, there are some things in the article that are dressed up and inaccurate, but I think the point the author is trying to make is basically; so many people bad mouth this country and really are just spoiled brats when they really don't realize how good they have it.

I don't dispute that particular point ... in fact it's been a frequent theme in my own commentary. However, the author is trying to use that idea to undercut the significance of Americans' dissatisfaction with their government and their president, which makes absolutely no fucking sense whatsoever.

Sure, Americans have it good, and they complain too much, and they frequently lack perspective when it comes to the plight of most of the rest of the world ... but that doesn't mean that their country isn't fucked up, headed in the wrong direction, and led by a president who's done much more harm than good. The author is just trying to spin dissatisfaction with Bush as the petulant whining of a coddled populace, and that's a dishonest, diversionary tactic -- attempting to draw links between two wholly unrelated things.

If that author isn't already working for the GOP, he should be.

Bad mouthing the country? I guess that is one distinction republicans have a hard time making. George Bush and his administration are not America. That is pretty clear. The constitution is America. Our adherence to the constitution is what makes America work. When one administration comes in and changes and reinterprets the constitution for their own reasons, annd many other actions, and people are dissatisfied with the actions of that administration, that in no way shape or form means they are dissatisfied with America.

But besides that you note that there are things that are dressed up and inaccurate in the article you posted. I would think that recognizing the dressed up and inaccurate nature of the article you could at least figure out that the distortions are leading you (the reader, anybody) down a desired pathway...I.e. it follows the course of propaganda. It took me about three or four sentences to figure out where the article was leading and what position the article came from. Then I look to the link and know exactly the position it is coming from. Anyhow, the whole thing is designed to lead the reader away from the real issues. Sure we still live in a land of great prosperity but there are very real tangible reasons people are dissatisfied with the actions of this administration, and none of them are touched upon in this article. One could easily have written a very similar article about Cuba or the Soviet Union. "what are people complaining about we have food we have health care we are secure form foreign influences etc..." And an article of this sort would also miss the picture, intentionally of course.

Question for the faithful. President Bush continually says that you can not judge a presidency in the short term that his will be judged long after he leaves office etc...The every shrinking numbers of faithful lap this up and repeat it over and over. My question is, if this is truly the case that you can not judge a presidency in the short term, them how is it possible that Regan has been labeled as the greatest president every by so many on thhe right since before he left office? How is it that so many on the right have definitively declared the Carter and Clinton presidencies to be disasters before either ever left office. I am a little slow here, can someone explain that to me?

What's more "American" than questioning our government? Democracy is based on checks/balances for the very reason that we should question government and that no one sector of it dominates.

When did questioning/objecting to the powers that be become "complaining"or anti-American? It's not a Left/Right or Republican/Democrat thing either (as almost every topic these days seemingly revolves around this concept in a nonsensical way of reasoning). It's horseshit.

I agree with some others here that note the article makes a bad case for supporting those currently running our country by lamenting that if you don't go with the flow of the adminstration's concepts then you're merely carping and spoiled. We're accustomed to certain privelages regardless of who's running the joint. We're America.

And not for nothing, but America has worked damn hard to earn the privelage of being considered "spoiled" by non-Americans and Americans alike.

Fixed it.

Sure split hairs, add the word some, but the general argument presented by republicans is that anyone who disagrees with Bush is on a blame America first mode of operation. I have never heard anyone on Fox News or on any of the Right wing sites (though i don't watchh fox 24-7 or visit all Right wing sites) say some democrats blame america, or some liberals, it is always democrats or liberals etc... and they never say that these people are disatisfied with the administrations performance, they say that these people hate America. So keep splitting hairs if you like and if it makes you feel better. It makes you a seem a bit like president CLinton trying to get a definition of the word is.

I don't get the joke. You fixed it by shortening it and removing the really well-stated points? or did you forget to change part of the sentence?

He fixed it. Added a word.

I'm no fan of Republicans, but I would agree with ikol that his fix is more accurate.

I think what's really objectionable (actually laughable) is this tripe:

Is this the same President who guided the nation in the dark days after 9/11? The President that cut taxes to bring an economy out of recession? Could this be the same guy who has been called every name in the book for succeeding in keeping all the spoiled ungrateful brats safe from terrorist attacks?

1) It's ANY president's job to be a cheerleader after ANY major catastrophe. Bush having his ass in that chair does not make him a hero, just as Bush having that megaphone in his hand didn't make him an orator.

2) Yay, tax cuts for the rich! What could be better when you're mortgaging our nation's fiscal future with a war that should never have been waged in the first place?

3) Um, Bush gets credit for "keeping us safe from terrorist attacks" when the 9/11 attacks themselves occurred on his watch? Okay ....

Oh, right, I forgot. We should blame Clinton for 9/11. My bad.

Maybe the reason so many people in America feel dissatisfied is because we still have so far to go to be the "Greatest Country in the World," although we have been sold that bill of goods for over 50 years. Maybe it's because we have lost our standing among even our closest allies, thanks to Rummy and Shrub dismissing them as "Old Europe." Maybe it's because, as usual, the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Maybe it's because we're still the only industrialized nation who executes prisoners. Maybe it's because "We don't torture." (Ooops. Yes, we do.) Maybe it's ... ah, hell, there a thousand good reasons, none of which have anything do to with flat screen TVs ... which I sure as hell can't afford, by the way. Maybe the author could send me one.

Lamrod, you rock!

It's so easy to get people rattled on this board when it comes to politics. I love it.

I'm definitely more Conservative than not, but consider myself faily moderate. But when I read political topics on this board, I find myself WANTING to be Republican. Some of the smug, left, "we love and care for everyone and Republicans don't" crap that people write on her makes me sick to my stomach.

(I actually kinda sorta liked the article.)

Lamrod, you rock!

It's so easy to get people rattled on this board when it comes to politics. I love it.

I'm definitely more Conservative than not, but consider myself faily moderate. But when I read political topics on this board, I find myself WANTING to be Republican. Some of the smug, left, "we love and care for everyone and Republicans don't" crap that people write on her makes me sick to my stomach.

(I actually kinda sorta liked the article.)

Interesting, as, the piece you kinda sorta like is one of the smuggest essays I