• Own free standing entity
    • other

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the EP is decent, but the full length is fantastic

seeing them with Blitzen Trapper soon

I am going to see them on the 25th here in the district. :pirate Wondering how good the lead singer's voice is live. We will see!

I didn't vote in the poll, but that singer sounds WAY too much like Jim James. I'd just as soon listen to My Morning Jacket. The music, however, is good and unique. They're a pretty good band, but the vocal similarity kind of puts a damper on me checking them out or buying an album.

Even though the singer does sound uncannily like Jim James, the band's music isn't a carbon copy of My Morning Jacket or Band of Horses for that matter. I hear Grizzly Bear, Fairport Convention, Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, the quieter side of the White Album, The Incredible String Band. So far both the EP and the LP are my favorites of the year.

--Mike

If we're comparing to MMJ, Band Of Horses sound much closer than Fleet Foxes do, but it's that reverb effect plus they're vocal stylings. Sometimes the way they all seem to mumble and then enunciate certain syllables is very strange too. I think that all lends to the comparison.

yeah got both the cds yesterday amazing stuff really liking it

and also abit in the song your protector that sounds very similiar to on and on and on its awesome

I'd have to put Ragged Wood #2 behind the new Constantines as best of 08 so far.

That said, after having only lived with the EP and R.W. for only four days now, they are pretty outstanding.

I'd never heard of Fleet Foxes prior to reading this thread, but considering I like MMJ, BoH, and the Shins, I should probably check them out.

:yes Absolutely.

Even though the singer does sound uncannily like Jim James, the band's music isn't a carbon copy of My Morning Jacket or Band of Horses for that matter. I hear Grizzly Bear, Fairport Convention, Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, the quieter side of the White Album, The Incredible String Band. So far both the EP and the LP are my favorites of the year.

--Mike

agreed on all counts. there are moments on the album that remind me of the brother kite too, but that'll just be the delicious harmonies.

i think the MMJ and BoH comparisons are just plain lazy to be honest.

I'm not sure the MMJ comparisons are lazy, they do sound a lot like them. But they definitely take the music in a different direction. It feels a lot more uplifting than both BoH and MMJ. Some of the harmonies are just fantastic.

I've been reminded more of Vetiver when listening to the EP. A band I really like. So, maybe with more listens, this one will grow. I'll have to check out the full length.

Oh.

If you google Fleet Foxes though, you should probably be able to eventually come upon a link if you want to sample it. The album that's circulating "Ragged Wood" is probably going to come out in June I believe.

--Mike

• 2 weeks later...