Pitchfork Music Festival

http://www.pitchforkmusicfestival.com/index.php

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/page/news/49...c-festival-2008

Gather 'round, lovers of live music, summertime, the great outdoors, the Windy City, and certain festive occasions where all these things come together. The time has come to announce that annual rite of indie passage, the Pitchfork Music Festival!

The 2008 edition of our yearly sonic bonanza returns to Chicago's Union Park on Friday, July 18, Saturday, July 19, and Sunday, July 20. We'll spare you our usual bombast and bad puns and take you straight to the initial lineup:

Friday, July 18:

Pitchfork Music Festival and All Tomorrow's Parties present Don't Look Back

Public Enemy performing It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back

+ more, to be announced

Saturday, July 19:

Animal Collective

!!!

Vampire Weekend

Dizzee Rascal

No Age

Atlas Sound

Fleet Foxes

+ many more!

Sunday, July 20:

Spiritualized

M. Ward

Boris

Extra Golden

El Guincho

+ many more!

Of course, that's just the beginning, so look for further lineup announcements in these pages in the near future.

And you read that correctly: Pitchfork is once again partnering with All Tomorrow's Parties to bring the Don't Look Back series-- in which artists play their classic albums in full-- to the Pitchfork Music Festival. The opening night of the fest will feature Public Enemy parading through hip-hop hallmark It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back.

Tickets for the 2008 Pitchfork Music Festival go on sale this Wednesday, March 12 at 12 p.m. CDT, and as always, they're quite inexpensive. Three-day passes will run you $65, two-day passes for Saturday and Sunday can be yours for $50, and individual day passes cost $30. So you can use all that extra money you're saving to buy something nice for Mom. I mean, why not?

weren't the 3 day passes $45-$50 dollars last year?

they were definitely cheaper. the email i got from pitchfork this morning specifically says "this year's prices will be:" so just reading that prepared me for an increase. lame

(of course ill still be paying it though..well, for a 2 day pass at least. i have no interest in the full album deal. the idea didnt grab me last year either)

lineup so far isn't very great, BUT... seeing PE do all of It Takes A Nation of Millions would be off the hizzzzzay, and M. Ward ain't too bad either

Agreed. I'm sure it will be improving some. The price seems about the same as last year (maybe I'm mistaken), I'll be buying tickets I'm pretty sure, it's a good atmosphere at least and Chicago is fun to head to.

Agreed. I'm sure it will be improving some. The price seems about the same as last year (maybe I'm mistaken), I'll be buying tickets I'm pretty sure, it's a good atmosphere at least and Chicago is fun to head to.

it was definitely less for the 3 day package last year. it had to be, there's no way I would've dropped $65 when all they had announced was Cat Power and Sonic Youth.

Public Enemy doing It Takes a Nation..... ? WOW! :omg

Man, if this weren't outside in the middle of summer among throngs of people.....I would go! :)

The Friday show is in the evening. Last year when Sonic Youth played the end of the first nite we just sort of wandered around and had a good time.

Public Enemy sounds cool. but M. Ward and animal collective are the only draws for me.

what sucks is that matt is only gonna get an hour. I forget did headliners only get 1 hr 30 min. last year?

The Friday show is in the evening. Last year when Sonic Youth played the end of the first nite we just sort of wandered around and had a good time.

there will still be throngs of people though, yes? :lol

Last year when Sonic Youth played I almost died at the front of the stage with the giant mosh pit that was happening.

And three day passes were $50 and $6 service charge and sending the tickets. However, though their prices have raised, it still beats the jammed packed and overpriced Lollapoolza. I actually felt like I could breath at Pitchfork last year besides the whole mosh pit thing.

And three day passes were $50 and $6 service charge and sending the tickets. However, though their prices have raised, it still beats the jammed packed and overpriced Lollapoolza. I actually felt like I could breath at Pitchfork last year besides the whole mosh pit thing.

Pitchfork wasnt bad, but its borderline outgrown Union Park. Either they need to cap the amount slightly less, or pick another vendor. And for the love of god, get more portapotties. Other than that, the food/ beer/ water lines were good (not to mention a 24 oz bottle of water was only $1. and you could refill it at the fountains.)

so im just going to throw this out there, but what do you think the possibility is of MBV doing Loveless on friday? after all, there are 2 more slots to fill..and the current MBV shows in the UK are being put on by ATP, which is whos curating the Friday shows at P4K. Not out of the realm of possibility.

lineup so far isn't very great, BUT... seeing PE do all of It Takes A Nation of Millions would be off the hizzzzzay, and M. Ward ain't too bad either

Rosie and I just said the same thing (we are both Pitchfork vets by now...), but I am urging her to get a couple passes for PE alone. I think after all the past two or three years they are running out of bands people have heard of and now are going for the obscure ones...yea..M. Ward is a known commodity, but not exactly burning it up in the last year or so.

LouieB

Rosie and I just said the same thing (we are both Pitchfork vets by now...), but I am urging her to get a couple passes for PE alone. I think after all the past two or three years they are running out of bands people have heard of and now are going for the obscure ones...yea..M. Ward is a known commodity, but not exactly burning it up in the last year or so.

LouieB

i don't see this lineup obscure at all. especially to anyone who listens to indie and knows the kind of music pitchfork follows.

i don't see this lineup obscure at all. especially to anyone who listens to indie and knows the kind of music pitchfork follows.

Yea, okay fine.....but both years I have gone (when it was Pitchfork alone) there were enough acts that were recognizable to a geezer like me. Admittedly Pitchfork is pitched at an entirely different audience than I am but when I hear others here say they are not impressed I don't feel so far out of it.

Heck last year not only did I know who was playing (not all the time of course) I actually owned albums by many of them. This year, not so much. I suspect there will be others coming into play I have heard of, but so far, not so much.

LouieB