My Morning Jacket, the Parish, Austin TX 3.11.08

**here is my rather verbose review pasted over from the mmj board**

HOLY HELL THIS KICKED MY ASS!!

at a certain point during the show i just kept putting my hands up to my face in an astounded gesture.

this band makes me holler. often. and with vigor!

and who threw the cake was right: booty shakin at an all time high for this show!

and that was just the jonas bros' set.

no.

really.

as it is 4:15a. i'm gonna give you the straight transcript of my geeky note taking.

(annotated :lol ) setlist:

--evil urges--YEAH!!

--wordless!--jim did a knee slide at the big howl and slid into a monitor on the edge of the stage. a security guy body blocked it and kept it on the stage.--this is where i noticed that the wooden floor was bouncing!

--gideon!!!--AHHH--tiny stage!--b/c the stage was so narrow the guys were kind of stacked. during this song i could watch carl, tt-t AND pat without having to look around. FUCKING AWESOME!

--highly suspicious--AHHH!

(all of these "ahhh!" are songs that just caused me to yell Grin you get to a certain point where you're dancing as much as possible, singing as much as possible...hollering is the only way to way to go from there. :yay )

--wonderful man--OFF THE CHARTS--CARL RIPS INTO IT--JIM JUMP (don't know if this was a jump from when he was standing on the monitor, or just jumping up and down a lot. either way, fab!)

--i'm amazed--Again with the carl! DAMN!--love the melodic guitar interplay on this.

--otr--in this tiny place. sweet jesus. this might have been the forehead slapping portion of the night. i hope some pix turn up from this soon. it was like watching these guys playing in a corridor...one behind the other...smoke, lights, HUGE SOUND.

(patrick wasn't on a riser tonight and was so far back that sometimes all i could see were the tips of his drumsticks flashing around in all that smoke.)

--some jim banter re: unspoiled austin. he said austin was a home to him and loved being back here.

--thank you too--BEAUTIFUL--gorgeous harmonies sung by bo, carl AND jim

--golden--i don't think jim's voice cracked at all tonight! last night in houston he was still warming up a bit, but tonight was all smooth

--bear!--great suprise! didn't play this in houston

--way he sings--tt-t, carl MAYHEM!!!

--aluminum park--badass!--jim & carl sing a lot of choruses (chorusii?) together in the new songs they've played so far. LOVE IT

--OBH!!--HOLY HELL--jim on monitor playing to crowd, leap...HUGE... (i cannot read my notes here. Grin )

--run thru--back to back obh w/run thru!!! ROCK LIKE A MOTHERFUCKER!

mother! (the equivalent to my saying "uncle." usually i'm a "bring it on" kind of show go-er. at this point i didn't know how much more badassery i could handle)

--smokin from shootin--PERFECT! :music

--touch me pt 2--the intro to this has a lot of sounds being generated by carl and tt-t working fx--not a musician, so i'm not sure what is going on, really. but it's a great lead in for the omnichord. fun note: as jim is playing the omnichord, he's got the flying v on, and hanging at his side. great visual!

as jim was starting the omni-c, his guitar was making some noise. carl walked over, put his hands on the strings to stop it. it came back after awhile. carl moved to try to stop it so tommy just turned the amp down. before jim started to play the guitar, one of the guys had to turn the amp back up. nice team work!

during the long outro of this song, carl, tommy and pat left the stage as they finished playing their parts. the crowd started to cheer, but jim put his finger to his mouth in a "shhh" gesture so that we could all hear the music. bo was watching, waiting for a cue. at one point he asked jim, "now?" but the omni-c kept going. :lol such a cool thing to see them developing the new songs live.

-------------

--steam engine!--intoxicating. this is one of those songs you get inside. whew.--also, they're playing a new arrangement at the end but it still has bo's gorgeous keys

--laylow!--carl! maybe it's b/c the stage was too narrow to allow the guys to play around the drum kit, but carl was playing at the front of the stage A LOT tonight! EN FUEGO! -pat HUGE drum break--whenever there was a big percussive bass hit you could feel it!

--mahgeeta

--anytime--i don't have any notes for these last two b/c i was dancing and hollering again. :lol

i can't believe they played this show. in this tiny venue. FOR FREE! astounding! every time i get to see something special that they cook up i say the same thing, "these guys know how to throw a party!"

most of the night i didn't get to see much of bo or tommy. sightlines and all. but everytime i saw bo he was either smiling, dancing or both. Cheesy holy smokes. they were ALL just crazy on fire tonight. and the new songs FANTASTIC!!

2 word review: rampant badassery. :guitar :banana :dancing :worship

for the record: the show clocked in at about 2 hours!

so, you're saying you had a good time?

see you in June!

:rotfl yes! i will see you in june! GAME ON!

it's killing me to have to leave town and miss the TWO SHOWS they are playing this weekend.

i'm gonna have to find a coachella ticket now. :pirate

Wilco played there in '02 ... When they played "We've Been Had" I thought the floor was going to collapse into the bar downstairs. My favorite music venue in town. Great acoustics. Great soundboard. Intimate. Love It.

i can just imagine this!

it did sound great, too!

IFC was in full force shooting both mmj and yo la tengo! i don't know what type of package they're putting together, or when it will be on tv.

when we were all standing in line to get tickets i was interviewed by IFC. last night at the show i talked shop a little with the woman who interviewed me. she told me i made the cut! i'll be the bleary eyed woman in the orange rainjacket and homestead grays beanine. :monkey

it's killing me to have to leave town and miss the TWO SHOWS they are playing this weekend.

i'm gonna have to find a coachella ticket now. :pirate

so glad you had a good time, evonne! i take it the parish was just a slightly better venue than the verizon? haha.

coachella! :dancing

(p.s. if you hear about anyone trying to unload a decent ticket for radio city, let me know... :ninja )

i can just imagine this!

it did sound great, too!

IFC was in full force shooting both mmj and yo la tengo! i don't know what type of package they're putting together, or when it will be on tv.

when we were all standing in line to get tickets i was interviewed by IFC. last night at the show i talked shop a little with the woman who interviewed me. she told me i made the cut! i'll be the bleary eyed woman in the orange rainjacket and homestead grays beanine. :monkey

...I was very tempted to go see this show in houston...I also needed another dose of yo la tengo...

You and your god damn pig tails suck. I hope you had a great time, thanks for inviting me. :fish In time my dear, in time you and I shall unite as one and worship the only band on earth that makes it enjoyable to piss yourself in puiblic!

PS...I'm just now getting to my PM's

dude, did you know that npr is streaming their set from sxsw RIGHT NOW????

I did not know. Linky?

I probably saw you in line, a hapless pup with no ticket, so I ended up slumming it with Two Cow. Saw YLT last night at the Austin Music Hall and they ripped my head off, unholy choirs descend upon us. Sadies, Zooey and M plus Destroyer tonight.

sorry to say but I heard a live clip of that new "Highly Suspicious" song

Imagine the worst songs by prince and talking heads (I am a fan of both) and being inspired by them.

Looks like I have officially fallen off the MMJ bandwagon after loving and I mean it, their first 3 albums.

hohum