Make a Recommendation

One of the big reasons I visit this board is to see what similarly-minded music fans are listening to. I check the Now Playing thread probably more than any other. BUT that thread is often just an image of the album cover (sometimes impossible to even tell what album it is) and rarely much of write-up about what the music is like. I thought this thread might provide a spot for a more detailed description of music that is currently under your skin that you think others might enjoy as well. I'll start.

While not new (about a year old), Menomena's Friend And Foe was my favorite album of last year. Unusual structures, fully realized, lush and dynamic. No fewer than five songs on this album have held the position of my "favorite song of the moment" at various times during the year (Air Aid, Evil Bee, Muscle n Flo, Boyscoutn', Rotten Hell). Even the lesser songs on this album I can listen to over and over. The beats are extremely interesting and powerful and, while I am still not sure I fully understand their unique composition methodology (using a device called the Deeler), they seem to have perfected it with this album. I can't wait for their follow up.

Sounds to me by your descriptions that you may be in the mood for something like this:

4170V65FKGL._AA240_.jpg

Dismemberment Plan - Emergency & I

Complex rhythms, but near-emo lyrics. Please don't let that turn you off, though. There's a lot more to this record than whining. Actually, I never even feel like there is any whining on here. Just loud-ass, rock-your-face-off rock. With complex rhythmic structures and great musicianship all over the place.

I've posted this before, but I'll post it again:

Phosphorescent - Pride

As a fan of their prior release, Aw Come Aw Wry, I picked this up upon release, and, for whatever reason, it did not take. However, I came back to it recently and for the life of me cannot figure why I was not immediately smitten, as I am now. A no brainer for fans of Will Oldham (and his many iterations), Neutral Milk Hotel, Band of Horses (mellower moments) and anyone else who enjoys blissfully melancholic folk.

Favorite track - Wolves

Favorite lyric -

Life on Earth: Look!! There is Life on Earth!

61zW10PntbL._AA240_.jpg

This is the bassist from Dungen's band. It has a similar sound to Dungen in some ways (all the member of Dungen appear on the album), but is generally quieter than most of Dungen's material, and unlike Dungen, this group sings in English. This is probably my favorite album at the moment.

Great thread. There was a somewhat similar thread in December or January where people posted their top 10 songs of the 2007. I thought that was a great way of discovering other bands that Wilco fans liked. When I streamed those lists, I found that most of the songs posted were from newer bands like Carribou, The National, Band of Horses, Grizzly Bear, Animal Collective, etc. It occurred to me that while I came to Wilco from a classic rock, Grateful Dead, The Band, Americana, alt-country, jazz perspective, many VCers came to Wilco from much more modern music. It's interesting that Wilco is a "meeting point" for such divergent tastes.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Despite the fact that I grew up with the Grateful Dead and wasn't a huge "modern music" fan in the 80s and early 90s, I didn't really "get" Wilco until YHF. I've been through just about every musical phase there is and now do enjoy a lot of the so-called modern music that seems to be so popular around here. I have the releases from last year of all of the bands you listed, although only the National really grabbed me. The Caribou, Animal Collective type music I keep trying, but it really isn't what I'm into these days. I think the stuff I most enjoy these days is what could be loosely described as descendant from the Flaming Lips (at least Soft Bulletin-esque Flaming Lips). I like the "epic-ness" of it (for lack of a better word) and the incorporation of rich arrangements. Although that is hardly how I'd describe the National, so what are you going to do. Ha!

By the way, I have been creating playlists in Seeqpod for the recommendations people are making. So far I think I dig Man Man the best. If you haven't checked out Seeqpod, do yourself a favor and check it out ... NOW! Great way to discover new music.

http://www.seeqpod.com/search/

If it's something along the lines of a new release your interested in try the Duke Spirits' "Neptune".

It combines subtle melody and visceral performances.

It's catchy as hell and the record is arranged in a way that keeps your attention from beginning to end.

And BTW...Don't be shy, if you see unmarked artwork over in "Now Playing" that piques your interest just ask who the artist is and what's it like.

And BTW...Don't be shy, if you see unmarked artwork over in "Now Playing" that piques your interest just ask who the artist is and what's it like.

Yeah thanks, I will. BUT I didn't intend this thread to be just making a recommendation for ME. I hoped people would post something that they are particularly enjoying at the moment AND write a little synopsis. There is SO much posted in the Now Playing thread that it is impossible to try to hear it all and perhaps this is place that will allow folks to get a sense of what the music might sound like before seeking it out to hear for themselves. So I hope people will post what THEY enjoy with a mini-review, not what they think I (or anyone else) would enjoy. Make sense?

20071105woodenSky.jpg

The Wooden Sky and their newish cd 'When lost at Sea'

http://www.chromewaves.net/mp3/WoodenSky-NorthDakota.mp3

http://www.chromewaves.net/mp3/WoodenSky-TheWoodenSky.mp3

Went to see them in November and finally found a copy of their cd at my lovely local indie store.

In concert they were good, although the venue was crowded and I remember being tired and cranky. So the impression was only that I should pick up the cd.

Which I finally did and it's really pretty. One of those releases where a song comes on shuffle and I have to go back and replay after figuring out who it was. It also turns out that the artwork for the album is by illustrator Josh Raskin who was up for an Oscar this year as co-creator of the short film ' I Met the Walrus' - an animated interview with John Lennon circa 1972.

2003223759152127643_rs.jpg

The kicker for me was including a song called "the Lonesome Death of Helen Betty Osborne' - which got me on two fronts - the obvious Dylan nod/homage/rip-off and then the simple beauty of the song and it's true story of Helen, a native woman killed in the 70s whose murderers were not brought to trial for more than a decade.

OsborneHelenbetty.jpg

The same auburn hair but her body left bare

Where the night had left it cold

Shaking for home

Well her mother was strong and shook free of the law

Cried 'Come away child

And for god sakes come home'

Well I whispered her name and finally she came to me

Mary, the poems she made

And pieces she'd saved

Said, child you're a mess, let's just try and forget this

Their names are all well known

And the story well told.

It was a frightening dream, one of colours and screams

With Indian blood fresh on the snow

Where the steam freely rose from the 52 holes that made

And her hair,

O' child awake

Take your hands hands from your face

Come away

Just love finding bands like this...

20071105woodenSky.jpg

The Wooden Sky and their newish cd 'When lost at Sea'

http://www.chromewaves.net/mp3/WoodenSky-NorthDakota.mp3

http://www.chromewaves.net/mp3/WoodenSky-TheWoodenSky.mp3

Went to see them in November and finally found a copy of their cd at my lovely local indie store.

In concert they were good, although the venue was crowded and I remember being tired and cranky. So the impression was only that I should pick up the cd.

Which I finally did and it's really pretty. One of those releases where a song comes on shuffle and I have to go back and replay after figuring out who it was. It also turns out that the artwork for the album is by illustrator Josh Raskin who was up for an Oscar this year as co-creator of the short film ' I Met the Walrus' - an animated interview with John Lennon circa 1972.

2003223759152127643_rs.jpg

The kicker for me was including a song called "the Lonesome Death of Helen Betty Osborne' - which got me on two fronts - the obvious Dylan nod/homage/rip-off and then the simple beauty of the song and it's true story of Helen, a native woman killed in the 70s whose murderers were not brought to trial for more than a decade.

OsborneHelenbetty.jpg

The same auburn hair but her body left bare

Where the night had left it cold

Shaking for home

Well her mother was strong and shook free of the law

Cried 'Come away child

And for god sakes come home'

Well I whispered her name and finally she came to me

Mary, the poems she made

And pieces she'd saved

Said, child you're a mess, let's just try and forget this

Their names are all well known

And the story well told.

It was a frightening dream, one of colours and screams

With Indian blood fresh on the snow

Where the steam freely rose from the 52 holes that made

And her hair,

O' child awake

Take your hands hands from your face

Come away

Just love finding bands like this...

I saw them a couple times last year, once at our local coffee shop with an "acoustic" set and then at a artsy type bar for a "rock" set. Both were awesome and they are a super solid band and I can see them doing big things. Super nice guys and really they write good tunes and that's all that matters. "The Wooden Sky" (song) is my favorite off of the album, great song.

I have been listening to The Dodos a lot lately. It is a duo- one guy plays acoustic guitar and there is a unique percussionist. It is a really unique sound and it sounds nothing like your average acoustic singer-songwriter. The melodies are great and their songs are hook filled.

AllMusic describes them as: Country-blues fingerpicking meets West African Ewe drumming meets metal meets indie pop sounds like an all-too-wacky description, but the Dodos turn these far-flung elements into delightfully natural-sounding music.

one of their songs (Red and Purple) is on this mix I made: http://drewangerer.muxtape.com/

31Bnrr7V-iL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Scott Walker - The Drift

As a fan of the mans music I wouldn't necessarily say this is the best place to start, but, if you're in the mood for something dark and atmospheric this one is hard to beat. Seeing the documentary "Scott Walker: 30 Century Man" the other week got me listening to this one again (as well as Scott 2 and 4.)

The films worth searching out too if you're a Walker fan as there's lots of insightful interviews. For a guy who has shunned interviews for the most part over his career Walker is surprisingly forthcoming here.

i defiantly second the dodos, i probably like the first cd more although havent given this new one much of listen it still sounds great though, oh defiantly phosphorescent

King Khan & The Shrines - What Is?!

think: The Stooges get signed by Motown and then trip acid with Syd Barrett.