What's the price of gas where you are?

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, one of the upsides is that we're staying home more and going for walks through our neighborhood and eating at local restaurants instead of the chain restaurants in Ann Arbor. But I do miss taking the kids downtown to window shop and to U of M campus to walk around and stuff like that. But then again, when we do get to do those things, it just makes it that much more fun.

One thing that sucks is that when you have 4 kids and 3 of them are in car seats, you need a big vehicle. At least Jay can drive a Civic.

I traded in my Honda element for a Subaru Impreza, and I'm getting noticeably better mileage... 27/28mpg as opposed to 21/22. I miss the extra space, but that's the trade-off I guess. I hear that it'll soon be cheaper to fill your tank with Gentleman Jack, Moet White Star, or Cristal than with regular unleaded.

I actually stopped into a dealership on Friday when I had a little time to kill waiting for Jake. I was thinking briefly about trading in my beloved Accord EX for a Fit or something. I think gas would need to climb above $5 (and look like it would be there for a while) for me to actually pull the trigger. I am above water on the Accord and have just a year left to payoff. No car payment sounds damn good right about now.

It seems rather obvious to me that we are experiencing the first effects of "Peak Oil", also referred to as "Hubbert's Peak" (named after the geologist M. King Hubbert, who predicted U.S. oil production would plateau in the '70's, and worldwide production would peak in the early years of the 21st Century). A quick glance at the numbers show that discovery and production rates for petroleum have begun to stall over the past several years, while demand continues to grow, in part due to rapidly growing economies such as India & China. This doesn't mean that the world has run out of oil, but rather that the easy-to-extract, sweet crude is becoming more scarce. This means that you end up expending more energy in extracting and refining. Thus it quickly becomes less and less cost effective.

While I'd like to believe that alternative energy sources will eventually step in to save the day, I can't honestly say that I'm optimistic...especially in the U.S. We are far too dependent on petroleum to make an easy switch overnight to another energy souce. Rather, I suspect there will be some rough days ahead. I shudder to think what life will be like in car-dependent suburbia when gas becomes too expensive or too scarce.

It seems rather obvious to me that we are experiencing the first effects of "Peak Oil", also referred to as "Hubbert's Peak" (named after the geologist M. King Hubbert, who predicted U.S. oil production would plateau in the '70's, and worldwide production would peak in the early years of the 21st Century). A quick glance at the numbers show that discovery and production rates for petroleum have begun to stall over the past several years, while demand continues to grow, in part due to rapidly growing economies such as India & China. This doesn't mean that the world has run out of oil, but rather that the easy-to-extract, sweet crude is becoming more scarce. This means that you end up expending more energy in extracting and refining. Thus it quickly becomes less and less cost effective.

While I'd like to believe that alternative energy sources will eventually step in to save the day, I can't honestly say that I'm optimistic...especially in the U.S. We are far too dependent on petroleum to make an easy switch overnight to another energy souce. Rather, I suspect there will be some rough days ahead. I shudder to think what life will be like in car-dependent suburbia when gas becomes too expensive or too scarce.

It's gonna suck, is what it's going to do. Telecommuting will become huge. It'll take 20-30 years for a transition away from a almost-exclusively petroleum-based economy to whatever the next thing will be. It won't be all bad, but it will be different.

We bought a '99 Civic about a month ago - mainly because our old beater 93 Accord is on its last legs - but we are getting about 32MPG in it, which is nice. Graham bikes to work on some days, though he had an accident a couple weeks ago and it looks like frame is f*cked. :ohwell

Goddamn. Still going (up). Will continue to ride bicycle to work, despite the asspain.

Somewhere, Jimmy Carter is smiling at you.

Just ordered a Civic EX coupe. I know I'll miss the Jeep's 4WD in the winter, but I lived without it before.

I have a 2007 Civic and I love it. It really does get great gas mileage.

$4.29 this morning

I'm sure missing my little 35-38 mpg Corolla right now. We were in an accident and it has been at the auto body shop for almost a month. I'm borrowing my mother's gas guzzling '96 Jeep Cherokee. I have doubled the amount of money I'm used to spending on gas by driving that thing. :nailbite

I stopped at a small gas station yesterday (I think it was right at $4), and they had the older pumps where the numbers roll over like this:

0610400d_0093.jpg

Only with room for four digits.

Because the price of gas is so high, they had to set the pump at half-price, so that if you want $30 of gas, you pump to $15 on the read-out. The gallons are accurate and you pay the $30 inside. There were little notes on neon paper all over it, "Set to half-price!!" "Only pump half of what you want!!!" I should have taken a picture to look back on in the future when gas is crazy cheap :pray for a good laugh.

It's gonna suck, is what it's going to do. Telecommuting will become huge. It'll take 20-30 years for a transition away from a almost-exclusively petroleum-based economy to whatever the next thing will be. It won't be all bad, but it will be different.

My work is talking about letting us telecommute 2 days a week. I figure the day they figure out that we can telecommute full time will not be long before the day that they figure out that our jobs can be shipped to India!

With the price of petro-diesel fuel at 4.79 (and no bio-Diesel in this town) I'm asking the question: "Can I work from home at least once a week?" in the one-on-one meeting with my manager, today.

Fingers crossed,

Kevin

update: the jury is out... but there are 3 of us who have ea. requested the same. It looks promising!

My company is so behind the times, they won't allow telecommuting.

Mine, too. I began mentioning it in our monthly manager meetings about 3 years ago and everyone looked at me like I was nuts for even suggesting it.

With the price of petro-diesel fuel at 4.79 (and no bio-Diesel in this town) I'm asking the question: "Can I work from home at least once a week?" to my one-on-one meeting with my manager, today.

Fingers crossed,

Kevin

Good luck!

Mine, too. I began mentioning it in our monthly manager meetings about 3 years ago and everyone looked at me like I was nuts for even suggesting it.

How does one run the Fry station via telecommuting?