Guest Muncle Douchey

i haven't seen this movie in years, but i remember thinking it was great back in the day. except the curb-bitting scene just really freaks me out.

Norton is great in it, but the movie always seemed a little too schematic and even a little cartoonish. It has a positive message, but it's expressed with no more depth or nuance than, say, Remember the Titans. It's the kind of film teens ought to see, I suppose.

That teeth-on-the-curb scene... that was one of the few times I literally squirmed in the theater. It was all due to the sound editing, too.

Norton is great in it, but the movie always seemed a little too schematic and even a little cartoonish. It has a positive message, but it's expressed with no more depth or nuance than, say, Remember the Titans. It's the kind of film teens ought to see, I suppose.

That teeth-on-the-curb scene... that was one of the few times I literally squirmed in the theater. It was all due to the sound editing, too.

Yeah, I feel the same way. There are some intense scenes-- Elliott Gould's cameo is great-- and I found the conversation between Norton and the teacher to be pretty moving, but it falls into the cliche a little too often for my tastes.

--Mike

I agree here, the movie is far too aware of itself in many aspects

I think the 25th Hour was overlooked and under seen, I like it.

Guest Muncle Douchey
I think the 25th Hour was overlooked and under seen, I like it.

agreed. 25th Hour is an incredible movie. and probably my favorite edward norton movie.

agreed. 25th Hour is an incredible movie. and probably my favorite edward norton movie.

Yeah, I agree – it is a great movie. The “mirror scene” is quite good, along with the Brian Cox (one of my favorites) dialog towards the end – it gets me every time.

I’m a fan of most of Spike’s movies – “Do the Right Thing” is one of my all time favorites.

And Norton is the type of actor who can take even a crappy role and make it gold.

25th Hour is great - American History X is like an after-school special on tolerance.

Yeah, if after school specials were cool.

Does anyone remember the steroid one featuring Ben Affleck? It was spectacular, towards the end, after being all sorts of juiced up, he had a final epic no-holds-barred-bare-knuckle-fist-fight with his bedroom wall.

It. Was. Awesome.

Yeah, if after school specials were cool.

Does anyone remember the steroid one featuring Ben Affleck? It was spectacular, towards the end, after being all sorts of juiced up, he had a final epic no-holds-barred-bare-knuckle-fist-fight with his bedroom wall.

It. Was. Awesome.

Doesn't sound any worse than Ed Norton learning that blacks are human after all by folding prison laundry with one.

Doesn't sound any worse than Ed Norton learning that blacks are human after all by folding prison laundry with one.

I think it was just such an event that sparked the civil rights movement.

Laundry has the power to change lives.

25th Hour is great - American History X is like an after-school special on tolerance.

seconded.

Wonder Bread, peckerwood racists.