This just in from my mom

my mum thinks jeff looks goofy, but in a cute kind of way

opinions, ladies??

not goofy. i'd say he's a unique combination of vulnerable, "cool," ironic, raw, warm, organic, brilliant, shy, and almost always ambivalent. and because he's

a genuine poet, sexy is a part of it. "cute" is too small for what he is, i'm afraid.

Why?

i think it's a universal experience, conscious or not, because i've never known anyone -- no matter how extroverted -- who didn't need, on some level, to be alone at times, to feel true solitude and aloneness, even if for just a moment. could be any of a variety of reasons: some kind of "centering" need, or replenishing, or re-learning of self-reliance, or relationship fatigue even if the relationship is as right as one can be, not because of the person you're with but because life is so fast and reflection by oneself, alone with your thoughts, so elusive.

I thought it was cute when Wilco was on SNL, my mom told me she was going to try to plan her period of insomnia to be up to see Wilco. I don't know if she was successfull and wonder what the hell she would of thought about it.

I thought it was cute when Wilco was on SNL, my mom told me she was going to try to plan her period of insomnia to be up to see Wilco. I don't know if she was successfull and wonder what the hell she would of thought about it.

watching jeff in the nudie suit, she probably assumed she was hallucinating due to lack of sleep.

"I hate that fucking Wilco." :stunned

I thought she was going to finish that thought with something like, "The bathrooms are never clean and they way overcharge on the malt liquor."

I just wanted to get ol' dad involved here also. My dad has always been mostly ambivalent about Jeff Tweedy, but to give him credit he made Anodyne interesting to me. I was 17 when I bought Anodyne and I remember thinking this sounds a little too country or something, and my dad came in my room over hearing and said that is not bad (actually sitting on the bed and listening for a while). I think what he meant was that is not nearly as noisy as Dinosaur JR. Anyway, he loved "No Sense In Lovin" and would always make me uncomfortable when he sang the line "i can't stand it when you get....so....intense" (there is so much we don't ever want to know about our parents). Well he never really said anything about Tweedy again until Mermaid ave II and he overheard "Feed of Man" and he turned to me and said, "that song is so bad that it is good".

I took my dad to Wilco's recent show in Philly. He loved it. Although my dad is 53 and he grew up with good rock and roll, so its not surprising he'd like Wilco.
Gawd..I am older than your dad....I always end up taking MY kids to Wilco shows.......I need a kid who will take me for a change..... :lol

LouieB

My mother cares not one whit about Wilco. This is a good thing, because it means I always have a babysitter for my kid when I go to shows. No way am I going to jeopardize that. In fact, I might play her some Gwar and tell her it's Wilco, just to be on the safe side.

My mom gives enough of a shit about Wilco to tape silly things like SNL and listen to me babble on about what they're doing that I'm excited about. She knows who Jeff Tweedy is...

...which is one more person than she knows of from any of the other bands I've liked.

I think she's beginning to pay attention! :lol

I've made my Mom a couple comps, which she keeps wearing out and demanding new ones. She'll do things like stay up to try and watch them on SNL, but fall asleep before they play. We watched the ACL episode together when I happened to be home for the weekend.

Good times.

I'm still trying to sell her on Refused. That one's a little more difficult.

My mother cares not one whit about Wilco. This is a good thing, because it means I always have a babysitter for my kid when I go to shows. No way am I going to jeopardize that. In fact, I might play her some Gwar and tell her it's Wilco, just to be on the safe side.

:lol I already lost my mom as a baby sitter, when Wilco comes around its expected that she wants to come, so I don't even ask. My mother-in-law, on the other hand . . . I may employ your tactic poppydawn, don't want to lose her, too!

my mom loves wilco. she called me after the grammys to tell me that the foo fighters suck and that was wilco's grammy they had. she taped saturday night love and only needs A.M. to complete her wilco collection and ... well you get the picture.

Please, we call them the POO fighters (per JT's son)