This just in from my mom

"I hate that fucking Wilco." :stunned

The first thing I ever played for my Mom was YHF. I prefaced the record for her by saying "this is one of the best albums I've ever heard" (of course, I'm given to hyperbole :stunned ). I asked later on what she thought. Her response: "It's a bit too wierd for me, and that guy singing sounds like he's tired, or burned out, or something". No shit.

I bought her SBS last year for her birthday, telling her to give 'em another chance. She loved the record. I guess there's something in this band for nearly everyone. Even a woman pushing 70. Next goal - drag her and the old man to a show.

At least tell us why....

LouieB

She finds Jeff's lyrics to be "too depressing." Somehow, some Wilco songs ended up on the iPod my sister got her and every time one comes up, she gets really pissed. She was especially condemnatory of "Via Chicago" and its "Dreamed of killing you again last night" lyrics. She is even pissed that my sister is going to see Wilco next month.

I love Wilco and I now love your Mom.

I love her too. I am alternately shocked, amazed, frightened and admiring of the amount of darkness and hate my little 5'0" mom can generate.

my mum thinks jeff looks goofy, but in a cute kind of way

opinions, ladies??

jeff is sexy cute with that boyish charm. has a great smile. looks cute as hell in a hat. crazy talented (makes me cry). i can talk about him forever. :wub. :P

my mom loves wilco. she called me after the grammys to tell me that the foo fighters suck and that was wilco's grammy they had. she taped saturday night love and only needs A.M. to complete her wilco collection and ... well you get the picture.

yer mom has a potty mouth :o :lol

My mom leads the family in swearing. Pretty soon, she's gonna end up like Ruth Gordon in Every Which Way But Loose.

I hope she doesn't read this board, or the next time I'm in Albuquerque, I'm gonna get it.

I don't think my parents know what a Wilco is.

I had a very long and confusing conversation with my dad the last time he saw me in my Wiilco shirt. He had a hard time understanding that a) Wilco is a real band and not cartoons at all, b ) Wiilco is a combination of the Wii and Wilco and is not the actual spelling of the band

She was especially condemnatory of "Via Chicago" and its "Dreamed of killing you again last night" lyrics.

yah, but that's the thing: the honesty, let's face it. i think most humans, whether subconsciously or consciously, "dream" that now and then, even (or maybe especially?) about people they love. we are all crowded by the people we love sometimes, even when we'd never actually choose to be without them. this is a perfect example of why i think jeff's lyrics are way above and beyond the call of duty or whatever. he says things that are in most hearts for a moment or a year or a lifetime -- he says the things people are afraid of, but he trusts enough that the humane and open part of a person will weather destructive thoughts and keep on finding ways to nourish love, finding ways out of the self-absorbed tunnel.

okay, now i can go on to this: my best friend, to everyone's shock including mine, is divorcing her husband after twenty years. she was in a cage (though most of us, including her, didn't realize it), and now she's getting free. since last summer she had mostly only heard me talk about jeff tweedy and wilco, but in the past few months has listened a lot more closely. right now she's raw, and she's going through this divorce with quite a bit of humaneness and sensibility, but she absolutely loves "via chicago" precisely because of that opening line. "dreamed about killing you again last night and it felt all right to me": that's helping to take care of a lot of pent-up "let me out of here no matter what!" stuff. and then there's ELT (sunken treasure dvd version): "what have i been missing, wishing, wishing you were dead." it all catches her up now right now. it's gotta be a universal experience, conscious or not.