Encountering Vista problems

Ok, my laptop is developing some problems so I'm getting concerned...I run Vista Home Basic, if it makes any difference.

First it occured that my Disk Defragmenter wouldn't load. I will go through the whole administrative approval tidbit (being the technical administrator of the computer), but the window simply doesn't pop up.

Now it's been getting worse. My RAM is being used like a mofo (70+% RAM usage at least), and my computer has frozen on multiple occasions, even with non-crash-prone programs such as the Opera web browser.

I did let the computer run the anti-spyware and antivirus overnight, and so it's been on for over 24 hours. Is that the problem? Or is something failing in my Vista machine? I hope its not the latter...or maybe I do, so I can buy a Mac instead :stunned

I suppose my biggest concern is the Disk Defragmenter program not running. That's mostly what I want to troubleshoot first, because probably the RAM usage will drop if I can actually defrag my hard drives.

ya know, i have vista and while i actually don't mind it, it does seem to take up huge amounts of RAM

apparently, there are a dozens of needless functions that are built into vista that use up vast amounts of resources.

i'm a total tech moron and have been reading up on this stuff trying to figure it out

supposedly, there are ways to deactivate or shut down these operations but i haven't figured out how yet. and i ain't messing with my registry

so that really helped, didn't it?

vista alone takes 512mb of RAM

yikes sorry, I forgot some stuff there. I believe if you click on the pearl and search msconfig you can stop some programs from booting up automatically and control many other things too.

Even a severely fragmented disk would not soak up so much ram. However, a virus of some sort could be messing with ram usage.

Is this an upgrade from XP? How much ram do you have installed? Did you at any point install a 3rd party disk defrag program?

Also, Vista Home Basic is, well, I'm afraid it is terrible, severely limited and just no fun.

Next computer, I'm going Ubuntu.

Even a severely fragmented disk would not soak up so much ram. However, a virus of some sort could be messing with ram usage.

I ran the Antivirus yesterday and there were no viruses.

Is this an upgrade from XP? How much ram do you have installed? Did you at any point install a 3rd party disk defrag program?

No, the laptop came with Vista installed. It comes with 894MB RAM. I have not installed a 3rd party disk defrag program.

Also, Vista Home Basic is, well, I'm afraid it is terrible, severely limited and just no fun.

I have just come to this realization too.

I'm trying to import Joan Baez's vol.2 and it's taking absolutely forever =\

I ran the Antivirus yesterday and there were no viruses.

No, the laptop came with Vista installed. It comes with 894MB RAM. I have not installed a 3rd party disk defrag program.

I have just come to this realization too.

Yikes - Vista pretty much demands 2 gigs to run smoothly I

Yikes - Vista pretty much demands 2 gigs to run smoothly I’m afraid.

I think Microsoft has some sort of free downgrade to XP program - you may want to check it out - well, at least if you cannot afford the additional RAM and upgrade to Vista Home Premium that is….

Good luck.

I suppose the thing that is strangest about this is that until virtually less than 8 hours ago, Vista ran fairly smoothly for me...and after some research apparently only Business and Ultimate Vista owners can freely downgrade.

I'm contemplating just adding a large portion of RAM to my computer.

I suppose I should take the Aman cue and take my woes to my fellow woebearers.

I think I've found your problem. :stunned

Strangely enough I imported Music From Big Pink this morning without any problems. Now that I've given up on importing Joan Baez my computer has taken on more normal-like function.

I just checked the Baez tracks that imported and apparently each one of them was 789:57 minutes long... :brow

My iPod is lately having all sorts of problems getting corrupted every time I plug the USB into my computer. At first I thought the hard drive was going, but now I suspect a lethal combination of an aging (3 yrs) iPod, recently updated iTunes software, and f'ing Vista. The perfect storm. :(

At the moment I am none too happy with either Microsoft or Apple. Visita is a box full of crap, but my current problems started as soon as I updated iTunes. I dunno. Vista came pre-installed on my new laptop--I figured why not give it a go? I'm a glutton for punishment that way. And I figured it can't be THAT bad, right? Frankly, I haven't done any in-depth exploring of its capabilities, but I do know that my current setup runs barely faster than my old 6 yr old laptop running Win2000 Professional with multiple servers running. With my dual-core and 2+GB of RAM, I expected this baby to fly. I have no idea what this thing is doing in the background to be such a resource hog--solving world hunger, I hope--but I remain unimpressed. In day to day use, if the OS is doing its job, you should barely notice it. And that is largely true of Vista that it is not a tremendous departure from the feel of XP--until shit starts crashing.

I wonder if that "Dude, you're getting a Dell" guy is looking for work. I fully expect him to pop up on my computer several times a day to say "Sorry, bro, you're running Vista!" when things don't work.

:frusty

The development version of SP1 for vista has been released... I would recommend that and make sure that you ALWAYS have your updates running. Vista will tailor off to be an decent operating system... it is just going to take years to fix all of the bugs, microsoft isnt going anywhere.

Also why are you running disk defrag??? Since the size of hard drives have increased soo much it is kind of a useless tool and wont do anything for your performance issues.

one last thing, if you get the latest version of spybot... get all of the updates for it, then under one of the pull down menus on the top you can switch to advanced user. From there there is a system startup applet that will show every startup entry and give you detailed information about whether or not it is necessary to run... vista should have about 30-40 processes running when you hit ctl-alt-del.

...otherwise ya, either revert to XP, GO OPEN SOURCE!, or buy a mac.

It's a shame that they'll eventually stop supporting XP. XP SP2 is the best Windows OS...ever?

agreed, its kinda one of those things where you don't miss it until its gone.

I work tech support in the dorms at my university and we have chalked up about 10 "its a known vista issue" problem in which there is literally nothing we can do to get these poor kids internet but to tell them to switch back to XP since those work with our servers or go open source.

vista has seriously resulted in me pulling my hair out of my head on numerous occasions... I wouldn't recommend anyone anything but a mac these days, windows is in way over their head.

Nest computer...I'm going Mac

Nest computer...I'm going Mac

My computer is running XP, but I hate it. I want open source any recommendations?

Ubuntu. I have been futzing with Open Office stuff and have been impressed.

It's a shame that they'll eventually stop supporting XP. XP SP2 is the best Windows OS...ever?

That's kinda like saying the bubonic plague is the best pandemic ever.