Favorite album(s) by....

Yeah, this one is gonna be a tough one. Unless you hate Dylan (which I know may be a few of you), how do you choose from among his 1960's and early 70's output?

It's pretty close for me, between Freewheeling, Blood On the Tracks, and Nashville Skyline, but in the end...

Nashville Skyline

wins out, just for the sheer fun of it. As brilliant as all those albums are, my choice is the only one that really makes me smile outright.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Highway 61 Revisited

2. Blood on the Tracks

3. John Wesley Harding

4. Blonde on Blonde

5. Bringing It All Back Home

6. The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan

7. Nashville Skyline

8. The Times They Are A'Changing

9. Desire

10. Slow Train Coming

1. Blood on the Tracks - Each song is a great story. I keep wondering why someone has not made a movie out of the narrative from Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts

2a. Highway 61

2b. Blonde on Blonde.

3. Everything else

1. Blood on the Tracks - Each song is a great story. I keep wondering why someone has not made a movie out of the narrative from Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts

Because it is a movie. :)

Because it is a movie. :)

From Wikipedia (that source of absolute veracity)"

"Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts", a song by Bob Dylan, was not performed live before the official version was released on the 1975 album Blood on the Tracks. There have been two screenplays written based on the song: one commissioned by Dylan and another by a major studio. Neither screenplay ever became a film.
And as for it fitting on the album - I think it's perfect as a breather from the heavy shit.

Couldn't agree more. It's the Heavy Metal Drummer of Blood on the Tracks. Ok, well, maybe HMD is the Lilly of YHF. :)

On a side note and maybe somewhat related (but maybe not), I read somewhere that the first verse in Idiot Wind ("shot a man named Grey, took his wife to Italy") was an intentional nonsensical curveball so that people didnt focus too intently on the rest of the lyrics which were a bit too autobiographical for even Dylan. So, a diversionary tactic, if you will. No idea if it's true.

hmmmmmm my favorite? I don't think I have one. I think I'd have to say they all have something worth hearing even Down In The Groove.

Lately Love and Theft has been a favorite but thats probably due to the fact that Mississippi is on there.

If the choice is only limited to studio albums, I'd flip a coin between Highway 61 Revisited & Bringing It All Back Home.

If live albums are in the mix, Live 1966: Royal Albert Hall beats them all (especially Disc 1: for me, those versions of Visions of Johanna, Baby Blue and Desolation Row are the holy grail of Dylan recordings).

If live albums are in the mix, Live 1966: Royal Albert Hall beats them all (especially Disc 1: for me, those versions of Visions of Johanna, Baby Blue and Desolation Row are the holy grail of Dylan recordings).

Yeah.

If the choice is only limited to studio albums, I'd flip a coin between Highway 61 Revisited & Bringing It All Back Home.

Live 66 is something else. Does anyone else think Dylan doesn't play on it (the second disc)?

when I meet a new girl, its always 'New Morning,' when it doesn't work out b/w us, its always 'Blood on the Tracks.' for everyday inspiration I turn to 'Blonde on Blonde.' the lyrics on this album are some of the best lyrics ever set to music, I mean, what else compares to, "...he just smoked my eyelids and punched my cigarette?"