Let Freedom Ring and be "Fabulous"

So some states should be allowed to not recognize the legal/cultural legitimacy of same sex civil unions or marriages?

Any state run by me would have civil unions for anyone that wants them. If others don't want them, that kinda goes with the whole states' rights thing.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any state run by me would have civil unions for anyone that wants them. If others don't want them, that kinda goes with the whole states' rights thing.

Civil Marriage v. Civil Unions

What

Ok, but what I advocated was completely doing away with the term marriage and replacing it with civil union (for all couples/multiples, gay, straight, etc.), so there's no inequality there. If there are rights conferred by the federal government relating to marriage, then they should apply to civil unions.

A. I'd like to reiterate that I agree with ikol on this one (do you all realize the magnitude of this?!?),and that the distinction he's making was clear to me from the get-go.

B. Does everyone in this thread have me on ignore? :huh

A. I'd like to reiterate that I agree with ikol on this one (do you all realize the magnitude of this?!?),and that the distinction he's making was clear to me from the get-go.

This is epic. :cheers

Ok, but what I advocated was completely doing away with the term marriage and replacing it with civil union (for all couples/multiples, gay, straight, etc.), so there's no inequality there. If there are rights conferred by the federal government relating to marriage, then they should apply to civil unions.

I could get behind that, though, after you are elected, I don

Aww. I think of you whenever that Dockers commercial with the "California Soul" song and the beauty shots of S.F. come on.

I didn't but I guess I will now. :rolleyes

You perverts are all going to hell - Soon we'll be having "Civil Unions" with our dogs, cats, vacuum cleaners...

"fleshlights," right hands, cucumbers ...

This is a great day. I am very happy for this decision - it's been way too long in my opinion, and I only hope that this is just the beginning. That being said, the timing is not so good - just what we need : the old divisive issue rears its head again just in time for the election cycle. Like it or not the christian conservatives will use this (as they did in '04) to fire up their constituency and garner votes. I've never understood it but some folks think the fate of our moral compass hinges on issues like this (and gays in the military, etc.).

Aww. I think of you whenever that Dockers commercial with the "California Soul" song and the beauty shots of S.F. come on.

:cheekkiss If you were a woman, and I was gay, I would totally marry you.

I didn't but I guess I will now. :rolleyes

Why I oughta...

:cheekkiss If you were a woman, and I was gay, I would totally marry you.

Sadly, I do not think my HMO will cover both a sex change and a gayification. :ohwell

Sadly, I do not think my HMO will cover both a sex change and a gayification. :ohwell

This is a prime example of why our health care system is in a shambles. :ohwell

And I'm not so sure that the government's role should be to prevent polygamy and incest.

I am late to this party, but I noticed this statement by ikol early in the fray. As a general matter, (I think), polygamy and incest rarely occurs between two consenting adults. I can agree with you if your point assumes there are two consenting adults involved. Is it safe for me to assume that you think the government should be getting involved to prevent polygamy and incest when it is to protect children or women that do not have the power to resist?

I assume Ikol was referring to cases in which two (or more) consenting adults are considering entering into an incestuous or polygamist union, marriage, or whatever you prefer to call it. In which case, I totally agree. As far as I