I think you'd figure Alexei has about as many XBHs in a fraction of the ABs. I dunno how many SBs he'll get--he's got one. I think he'd be the better choice IF he's playing.

Yeah I figure I am weighing possible Ramirez HRs against possible Pena SBs. Neither of which I expect will be very high numbers. :lol

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes! mission accomplished!

Reichstag_flag.jpg

Great pitching duel going on right now as Webb is trying to get his 10th win in 10 starts and Ricky Nolasco has gone 7 innings of 3 hit ball to give the Marlins a 2-1 lead.

Fi-re Will-ie! (clap clap clapclapclap) Fi-re Will-ie! (clap clap clapclapclap) Fi-re Will-ie! (clap clap clapclapclap)

Delgado's gotta go too. May as well trade Heilman; he needs a new start. I'd think about getting rid of Beltran as well. Reyes and Perez need their ADHD drugs adjusted.

You aren't going to get much for Delgado. Heilman either.

Really, last year was their best chance to win it all. Where's the Omar Minaya love now? He put too much stock in aging stars, just like Steve Phillips before him. Must come with being the Mets GM. Fans want names, I guess. I thought adding Santana would make them the team to beat in the NL this year, but now I don't think they are even under performing. This is them.

I don't really have grounds to rebut that, but our belief in the Mets, I don't know, Tenement (?) is that there's a lot of talent on this team, and it should be doing better than .500. Let me go back to what I posted before the season began.

I think the Mets everyday lineup is good enough - providing Delgado doesn't totally shit the bed like he did in '07 - that if they get even a little bit of decent pitching, they'll be in the postseason. Last year's collapse, most observers agree, was due to an overstressed rotation overstressing the bullpen, which ultimately just ran out of gas. Santana immediately upgrades the rotation, obviously, and is the kind of pitcher that can be the decisive factor in a short postseason series.

It's hard to be sure what will happen with the rest of the rotation. Best case scenario - Pedro and El D. stay reasonably healthy and perform reasonably well; Maine and Perez at least do not get worse (Maine's great game the game before Glavine's awful game at the end of the season gives me some hope that he will mature into a pitcher who can be solid for a whole year) - the Mets could have a 100-win season. This will be a critical year for Pelfrey in determining whether he will be great, good, meh or sucky. He's kind of number 6 right now in the starting rotation anyway, so I don't know if he will be key in the Mets' fate.

As for the bullpen, we shall see. There will be a lot of competition for bullpen spots - Wagner, Heilman, Feliciano are inked in, as well as Duaner "fuck all Miami taxi drivers" Sanchez, if his shoulder holds out. (Seriously, if I had been governor of New York when that crash happened, I would have ordered the Air National Guard to launch punitive strikes against Miami taxi stands.) Joe Smith showed promise at times last year, Jorge Sosa was great for a stretch as a starter until he got injured, and did contribute some in the bullpen, IIRC. Hopefully, spring training will produce the best two or three additional arms and a few more to spare.

Did they pay too much? Who can say? I'm reasonably sure that Boston or the Yanks, had they made that trade, would have had to cough up a similar package; how could you not? Santana was in the strongest possible bargaining position, so to diss on Omar is unfair. The Mets really needed to make a huge move - this move - to create some optimism about the coming year and to mend fences with their fans. (In contrast to the Yanks, whose fan base would have revolted if they traded their prospects for Santana. It seems the MO's of the New York teams have flipped, at least for the time being, perhaps due to the old kaiser not having as much pull as he used to, if he has any at all.)

Well, Delgado has shit the bed. Jesus, does no one see the obvious in Mets management? He. Is. Done. And if he can't hit, he has no value to that team. None. He's a pussy, too - Jeter showed more emotion than he did over the stolen home run on Sunday night. (Pardon my French. Sometimes only one word will do, and that was the one word.) See why Mets fans think he and Willie don't give a shit? BECAUSE THEY ACT LIKE THEY DON'T GIVE A SHIT. Bobby Cox would have flipped the fuck out. George Brett would have flipped the fuck out. And Randolph has a lot of fucking nerve, frankly, to try to say race is a factor in all this. No, him presiding over the worst September collapse ever and following it up the next season with meh, uninspired play is the factor in this. Same with Isiah Thomas.

Maine has surpassed expectations; Perez has generally not. Pedro and El Duque are nonentities at this point and I expect them to remain so. Starters are still not pitching terribly deep into games, so the bullpen is in the same situation they were last year. I am shocked, really at the offense of late. Maybe HoJo has to go too. (You know what? Fuck 'em. Fire him and Rick Peterson. And Alomar. His kid was a shitbomb with the Mets, and it makes me mad to see that name during games all the time.) My take on the NL East this year is that it would be a three-or-four-team dogfight until the end, but I really expected the Mets to be one of those teams. Minaya saved his bacon for a little while with the Santana trade, but if he were fired, I wouldn't shed a tear.

Ultimately, baseball and all sport is an entertainment industry. Well, we who are sleeping 12 to a room in the miserable Mets Tenement are not being entertained. Firing Willie would at least give us the sense that there's some accountability. Cold comfort? Sure, but cold comfort is better than no comfort.