• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm bumming - Ortiz out for a little while and maybe a long while ...

With Ortiz going down, I'll have five members of my fantasy team on the DL. I could have seven, except I dropped two of them already.

I'd drop more, but the pickings are getting pretty slim.

I'm bumming - Ortiz out for a little while and maybe a long while ...

They're saying it's very similar to what Schilling had happen to his ankle in '04 (except in his wrist, of course) with the tendon.

I hope BOS does not go after Bonds.

I don't think they'll make a big move, anyway, until/if! Ortiz has to be out for the season, and right now they're saying a few weeks-month only.

There are several options out of AAA, most notably Brandon Moss, who could play LF and thereby enable Manny to DH until Ortiz is healthy. There's also Chris Carter (a LHH) and Jeff Bailley to consider. All three are currently hitting well in AAA. Not to mention Ellsbury can play LF, too (Coco in CF and Drew in RF).

Plenty of in-house options if Papi is down for a relatively short period.

I think giving Manny a break from LF, to help prevent potential injury and give him a rest of sorts, as a DH for the this period is the best option

Where's Mart? It's time for my annual trip to the ballpark ("Irish Night"), and it's the Giants vs. the Mets. It's on!

So glad you were there to see Oliver Perez get spanked around mercilessly, then thrown into a dumpster filled with scorpions. Man that guy is vexing. I'd trade him for a popcorn machine at this point. Sanchez for the Giants looks like a great young pitcher, though... Hope y'all had fun, Maudie! :)

At the very least, Claudio Vargas should get a regular turn in the rotation at this point. Perez can go to bullpen detention with Heilman.

Boston don't need the hassle. My sister moving there will be hassle enough for that city.

There are several options out of AAA, most notably Brandon Moss, who could play LF and thereby enable Manny to DH until Ortiz is healthy. There's also Chris Carter (a LHH) and Jeff Bailey to consider. All three are currently hitting well in AAA. Not to mention Ellsbury can play LF, too (Coco in CF and Drew in RF).

Chris Carter called up, Jeff Bailey sent down:

http://www.beloblog.com/ProJo_Blogs/SoxBlo...x_recall_1.html

I think you'd figure Alexei has about as many XBHs in a fraction of the ABs. I dunno how many SBs he'll get--he's got one. I think he'd be the better choice IF he's playing.
Should they keep winning, Alexei could keep the starting job. I do think he is capable of outplaying Tony Pena Jr., but I wouldn't guarantee it..

Alexei had an OPS of .353 before he started playing everyday. Then Uribe went down in mid-may and now it's up to .712. Uribe was recalled from his rehab assignment a few days ago and has yet to see the field. Alexei is 6 for 8 with a homerun over his last two games. Not sure how that translates to fantasy stats, but I hope you've been playing him instead of the Royals' Tony Pena.

Alexei had an OPS of .353 before he started playing everyday. Then Uribe went down in mid-may and now it's up to .712. Uribe was recalled from his rehab assignment a few days ago and has yet to see the field. Alexei is 6 for 8 with a homerun over his last two games. Not sure how that translates to fantasy stats, but I hope you've been playing him instead of the Royals' Tony Pena.

I am, and I've been enjoying the windfall. The guy's been on fire. :)

I just hope Uribe doesnt take the job back from him...

It's like they were right there! (They did in fact play that song during a break in the game...) And my brother-in-law actually asked "How come Irish Night is always on a Monday? Japanese Night is on a Friday!" He was told by my sister that "We've done nothing to show that we can handle a Friday night..."

So glad you were there to see Oliver Perez get spanked around mercilessly, then thrown into a dumpster filled with scorpions. Man that guy is vexing. I'd trade him for a popcorn machine at this point. Sanchez for the Giants looks like a great young pitcher, though... Hope y'all had fun, Maudie! :)

We had loads of fun, Mart, thanks. :cheekkiss The actual "game" part of going to the game is usually secondary for me :lol so it was good that we got one that even I could enjoy.

I dont know if someone mentioned this already, but as a Cubs fan, I dont like that new Wilco Shirt on their webstore. Old Timey Tee fashioned in a STL Cards design.

Grrrrr........ at least the Cubs are in First Place.

Smoltz out with season-ending surgery. Has he pitched his last MLB pitch?

http://www.ajc.com/braves/content/sports/b...moltz_0605.html

"It wouldn't surprise me if he came back as a left-handed pitcher," said Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez, a former Braves coach.

Amen. That guy (and his team) have beat up on my Mets for at least a decade. I have nothing but respect for Smoltz. Best of luck to him. I have hated many opponents. Never him.

That guy (and his team) have beat up on my Mets for at least a decade.

In his major league debut, July 23, 1988, Smoltz pitched an eight-inning four-hit gem against the Mets at Shea. I remember watching the game on TV and having several WTF moments.

Can you imagine that in this day and age? Eight innings from a kid in his first-ever start? Amazing... Smoltz is a throwback. Wouldn't be something if he is in fact done, and Glavine and Maddux happen to hang it up after this year? 5 years from now, they'd all be on the podium together in Cooperstown. Shit, they should just put all three of them on one plaque.

Smoltz will be on the Champions Tour in no time.

He does golf pretty well, I've heard. I believe you need to be 50 to get on the tour, though.

Chances that he resumes his career next year? Slim. No way ATL re-signs him.

A few career stats: 210-147 (reg. season), 154 saves, 3.26 ERA. Very impressive. And yeah, Smoltz is an easy guy to like/root for. Too bad he had to go out like this.

ed. I'm thinking of the Senior's Tour. Either way, he'll be golfing instead of throwing MLB pitches from here on out, most likely.

Guest Jules
He does golf pretty well, I've heard. I believe you need to be 50 to get on the tour, though.

Chances that he resumes his career next year? Slim. No way ATL re-signs him.

A few career stats: 210-147 (reg. season), 154 saves, 3.26 ERA. Very impressive. And yeah, Smoltz is an easy guy to like/root for. Too bad he had to go out like this.

ed. I'm thinking of the Senior's Tour. Either way, he'll be golfing instead of throwing MLB pitches from here on out, most likely.

Champions Tour = new name for Senior Tour

You're right, you have to be 50, and Tiger says Smoltz is good enough to make it.

Isn't Bobby Cox retiring after this year?

How awesome would the 2013 HOF ceremony be if Smoltz, Glavine, Maddux, and Cox all got in. I hate the Braves, but I respect the hell out of those guys.