• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't heard anything about that, but then again, I don't get to watch NESN every day anymore. Regardless of his feelings about not playing every day, he contributes when he plays, and I don't see why Red Sox fans should be fed up with him.

Haven't heard anything about that, but then again, I don't get to watch NESN every day anymore. Regardless of his feelings about not playing every day, he contributes when he plays, and I don't see why Red Sox fans should be fed up with him.

Ditto. Still an above-average fielder, as well. I'm sure he'd like to play more (and will play regularly with Ortiz out for a spell and assuming he's appealing his suspension) and is still a candidate to be shipped elsewhere.

I'd imagine he's quite aware of that and is probably even stepping it up a hair in lieu of that (see: hard slide/brawl v. TB).

The Chris Carter experiment didn't last long. Hello (again) Brandon Moss!

Congratulations to Ken Griffey Jr. on his 600th home run.

Congratulations to Ken Griffey Jr. on his 600th home run.

Seconded. As great as his career has been, oh what may have been. Griffey is one of those players I just can't bring myself to dislike, even though he has never worn the Old English D.

Wish it hadn't come against the Marlins, but congrats to Griff.

Even though he's probably the most overrated player of the last 15 years, he's still pretty damn good.

Did you really have to throw that in there?

Congrats, Junior.

I don't see what difference it makes one way or the other. Seems like a fair thing to say since, on the night of being only the 6th player in major league history who has reached 600 home runs, it would seem like the right time to discuss his legacy.

The second half of his career was plagued by injury, and we can't judge him by what might have been, only what he actually did. However, it's pretty hard to argue with the first half of his career -- you could make a pretty strong case that he was the best player of the '90s. And he showed flashes of brilliance later on as well. I mean, I suppose it's possible that he's overrated, but even when rated properly he's a first ballot Hall of Famer.

The second half of his career was plagued by injury, and we can't judge him by what might have been, only what he actually did. However, it's pretty hard to argue with the first half of his career -- you could make a pretty strong case that he was the best player of the '90s. And he showed flashes of brilliance later on as well. I mean, I suppose it's possible that he's overrated, but even when rated properly he's a first ballot Hall of Famer.

Yeah, and he hit 600 home runs.

And, only Bonds, Sosa, and Ruth got to 600 in fewer games. Two of those are suspect, anyway.

Had it not been for an injury-plagued career....

I'm actually kind of surprised that MLB didn't make a bigger deal of Griffey's chase for 600. Though of course we can never know if he was actually clean, Griffey never even really had any steroid rumors. If he did in fact not use steroids, that makes him only the 4th ever to hit 600 without juicing. I sort of figured MLB would try to push Griffey a little bit as a face of the game to try to wash out the taste of the last two guys to hit such major homerun milestones, which were Barry Bonds and Sammy Sosa.

He hit 16 home runs in 122 games as a teenager. Something like the second youngest player to 300, 400 and 450 home runs. Seven seasons out of eight with 40+ home runs. An excellent fielder in his youth. He's had some injuries in the last couple years, and he's lost a step, but I'm not sure anyone still considers him the best player out there. Who's doing the overrating? He was hailed as the next big thing back when he was that guy. Since he started getting hurt and his pace has dropped off, he's no longer recognized as anything other than a future hall of famer who continues to contribute to his team when he's not injured.

Don't forget, in his first several years, Junior's defense was absolutely spectacular as well. If the injuries didn't start happening with such frequency, one could argue that we could have just been watching a chase for 800.

Precisely 600 more than I will ever hit.

Junior's main legacy will be of the "oh, what could've been" flavor, but I think he will also be honored for achieving 600 and never once being mentioned in a steroids report.

He hit 16 home runs in 122 games as a teenager. Something like the second youngest player to 300, 400 and 450 home runs. Seven seasons out of eight with 40+ home runs. An excellent fielder in his youth. He's had some injuries in the last couple years, and he's lost a step, but I'm not sure anyone still considers him the best player out there. Who's doing the overrating? He was hailed as the next big thing back when he was that guy. Since he started getting hurt and his pace has dropped off, he's no longer recognized as anything other than a future hall of famer who continues to contribute to his team when he's not injured.

He's not overrated now, but his legacy is. He was pretty much never the best player in baseball, but he was always the most loved and most often cited as the best player. Barry Bonds was always a better player than him. Griffey's a great player, and he said hi to me one time, and he seems like one of the more likable superstars, and I love the way he interracts with hecklers and takes it lal in stride, and he made alot of diving catches and stuff, and had a lot of endorsements and stuff. But he was not, in my opinion, anything close to the best player in the 90's. This is why I feel he was overrated.

He is absolutely a first ballot hall of famer, I'm not arguing that. You can be one of the great players in baseball history and be overrated.