I thought I settled this one already?

As I reported in a story a year or so ago, it was Mays, according to noted baseball writer, historian and chief consultant to Ken Burns for the Baseball thing, John Thorn.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, there are a lot of save situations that have a lot more pressure than the 3 run lead, 1 inning situation. The problem is, a major league manager will bring his "closer" in for a save situation 99% of the time (unless he's worked like 3 days in a row or something). He will also bring in his "closer" when down by 1 run in the 8th almost never, which is really when you need the guy who is supposedly the best guy in your bullpen. Managers manage their bullpen based on "save situations" rather than when they really need to be using their best guy. No, the closer isn't always brought in with a 3 run lead in the 9th, but anyone in your bullpen should be able to convert that save, so why not save your best guy for situations where you really need him? Because he won't get a "save"? It's dumb. It also does disort a lot of fans' (as well as many baseball executives') ideas about who the better relievers are -- that guy has an ERA over 4, but because his team happens to use him in "save situations", and is in a lot of close games, he's somehow worth $8 million/year and is a star, while the guy who pitches twice as many innings at an ERA around 3.00 is anonymous to fans and makes like $2.5 mill because his team happens to use him in the middle innings.

It also does disort a lot of fans' (as well as many baseball executives') ideas about who the better relievers are -- that guy has an ERA over 4, but because his team happens to use him in "save situations", and is in a lot of close games, he's somehow worth $8 million/year and is a star, while the guy who pitches twice as many innings at an ERA around 3.00 is anonymous to fans and makes like $2.5 mill because his team happens to use him in the middle innings.

I think anyone who knows anything about baseball knows that guys like Joe Borowski suck no matter how many saves they have.

Can't we all fucking just talk about how the rest of the AL Central will suddenly implode leaving the Indians at the top of it with a playoff berth? :hmm

No!

Cliff Lee's going to probably come back to earth at some point.

Though they still might get it because I'm not sold on any of the other teams.

Can we talk about the Yanks signing of Richie Sexson? This is hillarious. A guy that was so deeply offended by the Mariners fans (booing), to the point where he'd sit on the bench and pout, throw things, etc....Serious, us M's fans so angered by his salary and his production...A guy that was paid $67,000 for every point on his batting average...going into the lion's den of media coverage and fan scrutiny...Oh, man, what is he thinking? What are the Yankee's thinking?

Of course, all that being said, with our track record he'll probably hit 20 homers and 68 RBI the second half.

Hanley is one of the 5 best offensive players in the game, and he's like, 16 years old. He is all that.

I'll agree with this. He gets better every year, is having a great season, and has a good chance at a 40-40 season.

It's a great signing by him if they stick to just LHPers.

Except that he whined so much when the M's told him they were only going to play him against LHP's...that they cut him.

Except that he whined so much when the M's told him they were only going to play him against LHP's...that they cut him.

He also had no shot of going anywhere with the M's, whereas if he should know that if he shuts up and does as he's told and produces, he can help them make the playoffs (it's a long shot, but not impossible or even improbably).

I'll agree with this. He gets better every year, is having a great season, and has a good chance at a 40-40 season.

Even Steve Phillips removed his lips from Jose Reyes' ass long enough to call Hanley the best player in the NL the other day.

I will reach through the screen and choke you.

The only thing you are allowed to criticize about Hanley in my presence is that he hasn't brokered a peace deal in the middle east.

Yes.

I heard he was a shitty tipper. I don't have anything against immigrants, as long as they stay in their own country.

He stole Pokey Reese's job in 06. Pokey is a hard working, middle class American.

I do not even have a response to that--I'm so angry I can feel my molecular structure beginning to break apart. I am becoming structurally unsound!

PS did you know that there were 19 Red Sox players on the All Star Team?

I do not even have a response to that--I'm so angry I can feel my molecular structure beginning to break apart. I am becoming structurally unsound!

PS did you know that there were 19 Red Sox players on the All Star Team?

Aren't we all Red Sox, though?