part of the problem earlier on was that he barely knew english, so he didn't talk much and people assumed he was either arrogant or stupid. now he's somewhat fluent, and so long as readers/listeners cut him a little slack for not being great with the language, his high-spiritedness and intelligence shine through.

Considering Manny has lived in the United States since he was thirteen, he ought to have had a decent grasp on the English language some years ago.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

peecalvinbullpen.jpg
Considering Manny has lived in the United States since he was thirteen, he ought to have had a decent grasp on the English language some years ago.

"ought"? maybe. he lived in mostly dominican immigrant neighborhoods. perhaps that had something to do with it. in fact, i bet it did!

Dude gets paid to play baseball, not to talk.

"ought"? maybe. he lived in mostly dominican immigrant neighborhoods. perhaps that had something to do with it. in fact, i bet it did!

He has also lived in the United States for 23 years, where the great majority of people speak English. Also, he presumably attended English-speaking public schools. He doesn't really have an excuse for not being able to speak English properly.

He didn't get paid to play baseball when he was in middle school.

He has also lived in the United States for 23 years, where the great majority of people speak English. Also, he presumably attended English-speaking public schools. He doesn't really have an excuse for not being able to speak English properly.

Sure he did. It's called "New York City."

Or cross the street:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/reds.../2008/07/manny_

Yeah, Boston media.

Manny is a genius at hitting a baseball. Let's not read too much more into it than that, though. He's under the radar in his work ethic because of his personality. But still, he bangs a ball better than most folks and there's a certain intelligence that comes with that. Outside of the game, I'd fear for the man.

He chooses to speak English when it suits him, perhaps? Heck, my oldest boy wears hearing aids and "chooses" not to hear me at times. I often wish I could pull the same stunt.

it turned out that the love of his life, baseball, didn't require proper english. so be it.

Yeah this is going to be a crazy week. I just hope people can chill out a bit and realize that no matter what happens we still have a looooong way to go. If this season (baseball or election) has taught us anything, it's that there is no such thing as momentum. The Mets just need to keep playing hard every day and not treat this series in July as the playoffs. The Mets of old would have won 2 of 3 in this series and then gotten swept by the Padres after this series was over given the inevitable let down.

Ichiro has spent his whole MLB career pretending not to speak English very well so that he could avoid the media, but rumor has it that he speaks English very well. Wouldn't surprise me if Manny has done some of the same thing.

Ichiro has spent his whole MLB career pretending not to speak English very well so that he could avoid the media, but rumor has it that he speaks English very well. Wouldn't surprise me if Manny has done some of the same thing.

Yeah, there was a piece I read on Ichiro last week during the AS Game that claimed Ichiro has been amping up the AL All-Stars in the locker room before the game since 2001 in English and that all the first basemen in the AL know the "secret," too.

"Papelbon pinned down save No. 30 in Tuesday's 4-2 win, marking the third time he's achieved that milestone in his three seasons as a closer. In fact, Papelbon is the only Red Sox pitcher to ever save 30 games three times -- consecutive or otherwise." (ian browne)

and now i'm thinking maybe paps pretends not to speak english well too. :innocent

Lest the Boston bias be brought up, let's not forget that Francisco Rodriguez got to 40 saves faster than any one else in MLB history. He's had a hand in 2/3 of the Angel's fantastic record. Though the Save is meaningless, right?

Lest the Boston bias be brought up, let's not forget that Francisco Rodriguez got to 40 saves faster than any one else in MLB history. He's had a hand in 2/3 of the Angel's fantastic record. Though the Save is meaningless, right?

K-Rod! I would like the Angels if only they were not the favorite team of a total douche I used to work for.

To bring the discussion from last week full circle, I'd like to say that, apparently, for Mets fans, having a pitcher get 3 outs with a 3 run lead in the 9th for a save isn't such a gimme.

Sans Wagner, the pen is kind of a roll of the dice, but they have been quite good in stretches. I think the Phils just might have the Mets' number, psychologically, like the Braves had it in the earlier part of the decade.

Yes.

On NPR this morning they gave an obit for Jerome Holtzman. They had a quote from him explaining why he invented the save. He said that in 1959 there was a relief pitcher who had gone 18-2 or something like that. Writers were saying it was the best season ever by a reliever. He figured out that said reliever had given up the tying or leading run in most of those games -- thus all of the decisions. He invented the save so that back-end relievers would no longer be rated primarily on W-L record.

Point being: the save isn't very meaningful, but it's better than the popular method that existed before.

Sans Wagner, the pen is kind of a roll of the dice, but they have been quite good in stretches. I think the Phils just might have the Mets' number, psychologically, like the Braves had it in the earlier part of the decade.

I think the simple cure is a win today. Time for Maine to find his April/May form.

Saves are still overrated. K-rod is having a good season for a closer, he's just had more opportunities than anyone else. He's not having a historic season by any measure other than saves.

Saves are still overrated. K-rod is having a good season for a closer, he's just had more opportunities than anyone else. He's not having a historic season by any measure other than saves.

Well, there is a history to the stat that is saves. Too much emphasis on the stat or not, it's given regard. Behind the regard the stat is given is a person. To fault K-Rod because his team is good and he's merely had more opportunity than Jon Rauch or somebody to prove he can close games isn't valid, imo.

The use of relievers is obviously a lot different than when Fingers, Sutter, Gossage, et al. played. Those guys were pretty much abused. This doesn't diminish the role and/or importance of a Trevor Hoffman, Mo Rivera, etc.

The stay is mostly used by people who aren't aware that there are better options. If K-rod and rauch have the same stats with the exception of saves, then you are giving one guy credit for something he has no effect on; the skill of his teammates.

Unless you think frankie makes his teammates better. I hope you don't.