Guest Moses

i can't stand the van morrison part. he's just so disgusting.

i'm not a huge fan of The Band, but i would agree that a few performances, especially The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down are remarkable.

i'll probably never watch The Last Waltz again though.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Cousin Tupelo
i can't stand the van morrison part. he's just so disgusting.

i'm not a huge fan of The Band, but i would agree that a few performances, especially The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down are remarkable.

i'll probably never watch The Last Waltz again though.

Tura Lura Lura from the album is lights out, and segues much better into Caravan.

There's a lot of stuff that didn't make the movie that I wish did. Especially more of the band's performances from that night:

Life is a Carnival

This Wheel's on Fire

Acadian Driftwood

W.S. Walcott

Chest Fever (I hate when the Method cuts off in the movie just as it's about to rock).

Studio: Also, in addition to The Weight and Evangeline, I would have liked a video of The Well. That's one of the best songs I have ever heard.

Overall, The Last Waltz is way too heavy on the guests. It must have been hard to decide what to include and what not to when there are so many superstars involved. But as a fan of the band, I would love a no guest DVD. It would probably be out by now if there is, but I would to see a video of the NYE show that became Rock of Ages. That is one the best live discs I've ever heard. A lot of songs played, a lot with horns, amazing performances. And then Dylan comes out.

There's a lot of stuff that didn't make the movie that I wish did. Especially more of the band's performances from that night:

Life is a Carnival

This Wheel's on Fire

Acadian Driftwood

W.S. Walcott

Chest Fever (I hate when the Method cuts off in the movie just as it's about to rock).

Studio: Also, in addition to The Weight and Evangeline, I would have liked a video of The Well. That's one of the best songs I have ever heard.

Overall, The Last Waltz is way too heavy on the guests. It must have been hard to decide what to include and what not to when there are so many superstars involved. But as a fan of the band, I would love a no guest DVD. It would probably be out by now if there is, but I would to see a video of the NYE show that became Rock of Ages. That is one the best live discs I've ever heard. A lot of songs played, a lot with horns, amazing performances. And then Dylan comes out.

IIRC, Robbie wanted to cut Muddy Waters from the show at the last minute. Levon would have none of that, suggesting instead that that travesty Neil Diamond be removed from the gig instead.

Robbie.....what a tool.

Levon.....a national treasure.

Read "This Wheels On Fire" for many more details.

Guest Cousin Tupelo
IIRC, Robbie wanted to cut Muddy Waters from the show at the last minute. Levon would have none of that, suggesting instead that that travesty Neil Diamond be removed from the gig instead.

Robbie.....what a tool.

Levon.....a national treasure.

Read "This Wheels On Fire" for many more details.

Yeah, Levon had just produced an album for Muddy. TWIF said that the cameramen were told to take a break during Muddy's performance, but fortunately one camera was still operating, getting the performance in a single shot.

I saw Levon and co. play "The Weight" -- one of the Ramble's staff said it was the first time it was played live in about 20 years -- he did it off the cuff but there were a barnful of people singing their lungs out.

Yeah, Levon had just produced an album for Muddy. TWIF said that the cameramen were told to take a break during Muddy's performance, but fortunately one camera was still operating, getting the performance in a single shot.

I saw Levon and co. play "The Weight" -- one of the Ramble's staff said it was the first time it was played live in about 20 years -- he did it off the cuff but there were a barnful of people singing their lungs out.

I'd love to hit one of Levon's barn gigs. I've heard nothing but great things about it.

Side note.....Levon is in the film "The Three Deaths of........" (some spanish guys name, dont recall the details). He plays a blind guy. I almost jumped out of my seat when I realized it was him....he looked soooooo f'n bad, old n torn up. I really kinda freaked out. After doing a bit of research, it came to pass that it was just movie magic, he isnt in nearly as bad shape in reality, thankfully.

Guest Cousin Tupelo
I'd love to hit one of Levon's barn gigs. I've heard nothing but great things about it.

Side note.....Levon is in the film "The Three Deaths of........" (some spanish guys name, dont recall the details). He plays a blind guy. I almost jumped out of my seat when I realized it was him....he looked soooooo f'n bad, old n torn up. I really kinda freaked out. After doing a bit of research, it came to pass that it was just movie magic, he isnt in nearly as bad shape in reality, thankfully.

I heard him on an interview on Fresh Air (NPR) talking about that movie.

The Midnight Rambles are incredible. $200 a seat, we went a year ago Jan -- a Christmas present. Top flight musicians, the lineup changes often. About 4 hours of music, a few opening acts including Alexis Souter, and incredible blues vocalist, Sammy Davis on harp. I sat front row, my feet resting on Levon's vocal monitor. You would catch his eye while playing mandolin and snging and he's give you a grin and a wink. Woodstock is just a great tranquil area (off-season). We stayed at a nice B&B down the road from Helm's studio. <gush>

He has been in several films over the years - and there is also a movie that features all the band members - except for Robbie.

He has been in several films over the years - and there is also a movie that features all the band members - except for Robbie.

Levon was in Coal Miner's Daughter

The movie with The Band - JRR is called Man Outside

The Last Waltz Ensemble is playing BB King's club in NYC on Aug. 9 (the anniversary of Jerry Garcia's death, coincidentally) to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the show.

>i'll probably never watch The Last Waltz again though.

I watch at least a scene or two every time it (and Jaws) are on. I can't get enough of it.

>Read "This Wheels On Fire" for many more details.

Terrific book, especially for a balanced history of the Band.

>The Midnight Rambles are incredible.

I keep telling myself I'll get to a ramble some day. With the passing of Bo Diddley, I should make it more of an urgency.

Levon Helm was in The Right Stuff ". . . and I do believe that is 'top-trump', gentlemen!"

Edit: damn it, too slow!

I think if we keep talking about all The Same Stuff over and over and over again with regards to The Band, we may cause some sort of time shift or something like that.

Levon Helm was in The Right Stuff ". . . and I do believe that is 'top-trump', gentlemen!"

Edit: damn it, too slow!

Dang, I was sitting here thinking, Levon Helm?? In The Right Stuff?? I've seen that movie like 100 times! Who was he?? So I go to IMDB and I see he's Ridley! Yeager was always asking him to loan him a stick of Beeman's gum. I had to track Beeman's down just to see what it was all about years ago.

Guest Cousin Tupelo
I think if we keep talking about all The Same Stuff over and over and over again with regards to The Band, we may cause some sort of time shift or something like that.

King Analogman will surely come!

:dancing

King Analogman will surely come!

:dancing

It's a joke - I was not busting on anyone. But - it is funny if you have seen all of these things said over and over for the past 6 years. Some of which, I have said over and over, of course.

Personally, I can't to watch the movie - I saw it too many times back in the early 90s - as a friend of mine would put it on every time people were over at his house on the weekend.

Guest Cousin Tupelo
It's a joke - I was not busting on anyone. But - it is funny if you have seen all of these things said over and over for the past 6 years. Some of which, I have said over and over, of course.

Personally, I can't to watch the movie - I saw it too many times back in the early 90s - as a friend of mine would put it on every time people were over at his house on the weekend.

I was just kidding. I agree I have seen it too many times to even pay attention when it's on.

Some of us may trip over the same subjects because we're relatively new to the site, but our intentions are good!

I was just kidding. I agree I have seen it too many times to even pay attention when it's on.

Some of us may trip over the same subjects because we're relatively new to the site, but our intentions are good!

I know. I still think the first two albums are the best - of course, I have said that many times.

i love the backstage story when Neil diamond went up to Dylan and said "top that!"... Dylan's response was "what? fall asleep on stage"

I sure hope that is true because its awesome.

Guest Cousin Tupelo
I know. I still think the first two albums are the best - of course, I have said that many times.

Then you may have answered this question before: if you can only take one with you which would it be? And why?

I recently rewatched the VH1 "rockumentary" on the making of the 2nd, and it had some interesting backfill. It wasn't all Robertson, all the time either.

Then you may have answered this question before: if you can only take one with you which would it be? And why?

I recently rewatched the VH1 "rockumentary" on the making of the 2nd, and it had some interesting backfill. It wasn't all Robertson, all the time either.

Ooh, I need to see that. Was that part of the classic albums show? I just recently watched a few of those: Plastic Ono Band, Apostrophe/Over-Nite Sensation, Catch A Fire. The Plastic Ono Band one was really good.