• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though I have the dvd I always get sucked in when it's on t.v., as I did this afternoon. The "Caravan" by the man in the sparkling jump suit is pretty much my favorite thing on there. I need to get one of those unis, too.

Even though I have the dvd I always get sucked in when it's on t.v., as I did this afternoon. The "Caravan" by the man in the sparkling jump suit is pretty much my favorite thing on there. I need to get one of those unis, too.

me too, i never get tired of watching it....my favorite version of helpless. i love neil, i fell in love with him when i was 13 or 14, harvest was one of the first albums i bought when it first came out. bobs set is my favorite too. its all good. rick and robbie were so cute back then. (and bob i love him too) fyi, my screename is from a bob song. :D

in case anyone cares its on vh-1 classic right now. started about 1/2 hour ago.

Have it on blueray and watch it every week or so.

The one thing that sticks with me is how much of an ass that Robbie is.

Egotistical ass.

I find it hilarious that Robbie's mic was never live and he playts at howling away...hilarious.

Incidentally, if you see this at your bookstore...grab it. It's a great read.

417W134WEHL._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

The one thing that sticks with me is how much of an ass that Robbie is.

Egotistical ass.

My favorite "Robbie moment" in the movie is the interview part in the beginning where he does the "ask me that again" thing. Its so annoying it just cracks me up every time--he almost kills the movie before it even gets started. :lol

As for performances, yeah, I hear there was plenty of overdubbing afterwards, but even so, I will say that it contains my favorite versions of a few songs, so that's no bad thing.

The "Caravan" by the man in the sparkling jump suit is pretty much my favorite thing on there. I need to get one of those unis, too.

I'm a sucka for that whole part of the film. Fat Van Morrison trying to kick makes me laugh everytime. "Turn on your electric LIGHT!"

Guest Cousin Tupelo
in case anyone cares its on vh-1 classic right now. started about 1/2 hour ago.

In "This Wheel's On Fire," Levon Helm points out how Robbie Robertson burned the band with the whole "Last Waltz" end of the band, final concert. The rest of the band wasn't ready to call it quits, and he essentially got them to sign off to him all rights of the movie and recordings. He also, according to Helm, wheedled song credits throughout their recording.

I remember watching the movie when it was released and falling in love with the music. It is an excellent movie, a touchstone of the history of Rock & Roll. But I feel a little jaded when I watch it now.

BTW, anyone who gets a chance to attend one of Helm's Midnight Rambles in Woodstock, N.Y., it is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. I went a year ago January, and I won't gush here.

>The "Caravan" by the man in the sparkling jump suit is pretty much my favorite thing on there. I need to get one of those unis, too.

Robbie's commentary on the dvd about this scene is great. He talks about Van showing up for rehearsal that day wearing a Mickey Spillane outfit and being completely surprised by the outfit at the show.

Perhaps this was just a blasphemous rumour, but I've heard that they had to airbrush a big ol coke booger Neil Young was sporting during his performance. Is there any truth to that? As I recall... it *is* kind of fuzzy around his nostrils...And he did have the sniffles.

discuss,

Kevin

Yes, it is true.

FYI: You can watch The Last Waltz online anytime - it is up at Youtube, and various other places.

I knew we could not go much longer without another thread about The Band.

>I knew we could not go much longer without another thread about The Band.

Tell me about it. It always circles back to the Band. Probably sheds a little light on why the first album was such a breath of fresh air when it was released.

>I knew we could not go much longer without another thread about The Band.

Tell me about it. It always circles back to the Band. Probably sheds a little light on why the first album was such a breath of fresh air when it was released.

That is true.

There's actually a bunch of stuff I don't care about on The Last Waltz... such as Ronnie Hawkins, Joni Mitchell, Dr. John, Neil Diamond, or Van Morrison.... HOWEVER! The Bands stuff is incredible. Up on Cripple Creek is awesome. Also that version of Helpless is probably my favorite. And the Dylan stuff.. oh man!!

I knew we could not go much longer without another thread about The Band.

That's because they're the best rock and roll band ever.

Last Waltz, I could do without it. Yes, "Caravan" is great. The inclusion of Neil Diamond is a travesty. There's some great performances, the majority of the guest spots are snoozers. Its 50/50 for me.

As far as I am concerned, the version of "The Weight" they do with the Staples Singers is as holy and sacred as the Baby Jesus' binky.

Last Waltz, I could do without it. Yes, "Caravan" is great. The inclusion of Neil Diamond is a travesty. There's some great performances, the majority of the guest spots are snoozers. Its 50/50 for me.

That's because Robbie was producing an album for him at the time.

That's because Robbie was producing an album for him at the time.

And co-wrote the track with him that they play live.

BTW a sad note from theband.hiof.no:

An extensive website dedicated to the legendary rock group The Band, started at this location in October 1994 and was closed in June 2008. Most of our massive archives will probably be back on-line soon, after some much-needed cleaning up. Thanks to the musicians, to all our friends, to everyone who contributed and to the millions of visitors that made The Band web site bigger and better than in our wildest dreams.

This site was great. Hopefully they get the archives up soon.

i actually dig the Neil Diamond song more than the Van Morrison stuff

come dry your eyes