• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry for the prolonged back and forth. there will always be opposing view points no matter the issue(s), we all have our reasons for believeing what we do and there's certainly nothing wrong with that. sometimes i fall back into debate for debate's sake, while knowing that nothing is going to come of it.

hope you have a good day.

thanks, and same to you! :cheers

I was thinking the other day - I wonder if Obama has any sort of plans to propose something like the WPA or CCC - I would like to see that happen.

sure, but only if the project was for light rail in every city with a steep incline followed by triple loops every 5-10 miles. if they are gonna screw us on gas to make us give up our vehicles and commute to work on a train every day, they better make it fun dammitt!

maybe they could start an organization to train and employ balloon animal-making clowns that could entertain the kids while we take a number and wait in line to sit in the waiting rooms, where we (again) wait some more to have our kids sit in gowns on butcher paper (where they can draw with crayons) waiting for our national healthcare designated nurse practioners to consult via video conference with a doctor in india over what prescription to prescribe. it's the least they could do.

Just a thought - it's the sort of thing I think of when I pass by this group of people every morning who are waiting for the hang-out room to open, so they can hang-out there all day. I think the city should put them to work picking up garbage and painting things. Of course, many of them don't want to work. I am around some of the projects that came out of the WPA everyday - so I see the good in it.

Just a thought - it's the sort of thing I think of when I pass by this group of people every morning who are waiting for the hang-out room to open, so they can hang-out there all day. I think the city should put them to work picking up garbage and painting things. Of course, many of them don't want to work. I am around some of the projects that came out of the WPA everyday - so I see the good in it.

it wasn't my intention at all to make light of the homeless. that's not where i'm coming from at all. certainly there will always be a need in that area. i just don't see that a program on a TVA scale as necessary unless there was some grand vision of national necessity. certainly after WWII, those types of projects served a purpose, but now? i don't know about that.

but, like i said, if washington is going to keep encouraging these increased gas prices by inaction, maybe the "grand vision" could go from new highways and bridges to mass public transit and start the whole big brother/orwell ball rolling. always wondered what fritz lang's "metropolis" would be like in real life. i mean, isn't that where we are all heading for anyway? so, why stop it? (sarcasm)

While we are it - it would be nice to put the brakes on jobs going to India and China - but that is another fantasy I have.

i'm all for that as well. maybe that should be the focus (retaining jobs). if they keep exporting jobs, the more people are going to be standing around. or maybe that's part of the evil plan that is afoot we are supposed to be oblivious to.

there was and is good in it; and while it may not seem crucial to some now, it is likely to become crucial if our course doesn't alter and maybe if it does. i also agree about jobs not being shipped overseas. in fact, although i've been at via chicago for only ten months, i love you analogman! not just because of stuff i agree with. i try to be straightforward, sometimes think i succeeded, and then you post.

sure, but only if the project was for light rail in every city with a steep incline followed by triple loops every 5-10 miles. if they are gonna screw us on gas to make us give up our vehicles and commute to work on a train every day, they better make it fun dammitt!

this really was funny, uw: :lol

there was and is good in it; and while it may not seem crucial to some now, it is likely to become crucial if our course doesn't alter and maybe if it doesn't. i also agree about jobs not being shipped overseas. in fact, although i've been here only ten months, i love you analogman! not just because of stuff i agree with. i try to be straightforward, sometimes think i succeeded, and then you post.

If you're into evil you're a friend of mine.

I was thinking the other day - I wonder if Obama has any sort of plans to propose something like the WPA or CCC - I would like to see that happen.

Along those same lines (sort of) - the produce growers hire illegal immigrants because (supposedly) no American citizens will do that sort of back-breaking labor for such little pay. My thought is why not have prison populations harvest the crop? That would seem on the surface to help with the immigration problem?

If you're into evil you're a friend of mine.

ha!

I work with a dude (who is from another country) and he has said that before. All of this stuff is touchy, I know. I think they actually have dudes from that jail picking up trash here from time to time - I pick it for free everyday.

Check out the :26 second mark in
- he's shaking hands with an Obama supporter! You can see the 'O' logo clear as day on her shirt. What should we make of this?

Clear as day? I couldn't even make it out when pausing it.

Maybe this will help:

McCainadwithOlogo.jpg

I work with a dude (who is from another country) and he has said that before. All of this stuff is touchy, I know. I think they actually have dudes from that jail picking up trash here from time to time - I pick it for free everyday.

so do i, and use at least half of it for artwork.

Maybe this will help:

McCainadwithOlogo.jpg

why is she smiling and mccain not?

why is she smiling and mccain not?

A few seconds before this part she seems somewhere between slightly uncomfortable and pleasantly surprised to be face to face with JMc.* My guess as to why he's so somber is that this is footage from when he was at the Lorraine Motel on the 40th anniversary of MLK's assassination. He probably doesn't want to be too upbeat.

*I doubt I'm the first to refer to him as JMc (pron: Jay - Mack), but I'll take credit for it anyway!

what exactly is the big deal about mccain shaking a womans hand that is sporting an obama logo? i guess i've missed that story?

john mccain has wasted no opportunity to fraternize with democrats, why would he stop now? in fact, i think when he dreams at night he IS a democrat. so what's the big deal?

obama proudly claims to have "obamacins" (repubs w/out a conscience) in his ranks. what's up with that? although i think those obamacins are merely a front to mask barack's lack of experience in reaching across the aisle.

what exactly is the big deal about mccain shaking a womans hand that is sporting an obama logo? i guess i've missed that story?

I think the point is that it is funny because the GOP has a bit of a reputation (fairly or unfairly) for parading out minorities seemingly to say "look we're not all old white men" and for his ad, the only image of him with a minority they could dig up is with a woman wearing an Obama shirt. Whatever, it is kinda funny, but there is nothing to "make of it," in my opinion.

Big deal? Not really. I'm just stumped. If it's intentional, what's the logic? If it's unintentional (strategy-wise), was it somebody inside his campaign goofin' on him or did they just miss it completely? Seems like a bad strategy to give your opponent a subliminal plug in your own ad.

I think the point is that it is funny because the GOP has a bit of a reputation (fairly or unfairly) for parading out minorities seemingly to say "look we're not all old white men" and for his ad, the only image of him with a minority they could dig up is with a woman wearing an Obama shirt. Whatever, it is kinda funny, but there is nothing to "make of it," in my opinion.

well, when 90% of a particular demographic is reportedly voting for a specific candidate (hmmm...i can't figure out exactly why that is), what exactly is an old fart like mccain supposed to do? he want's to be everybody's "friend" but nobody wants to play with him.

As I indicated, I am not saying it is fair. But, even if it was Hillary, the GOP would be hard-pressed to make significant in-roads with minority groups and their overtures have been so transparent it makes this a bit funny. That's all I get out of it. At the very least it seems like a gaffe on the part of the campaign. Sorta like when Bob Schaffer here in CO had a commercial about being a Colorado boy and had Denali in the ad.

I think most minorities would be willing to vote for an old white dude over a black guy if the old white dude's policy positions were more in their favor.

Apparently not.

Are you suggesting that McCain's policies, if implemented, would benefit most racial minorities? And benefit them more than Obama's policies?

Conservative policies in general, yes. Whether this applies to McCain remains to be seen.