He didn't say he supported immunity, but he's backed off a LOT in his opposition of it. Last fall, he said he would support a filibuster of any bill that included telecom immunity. Now he's saying basically that he'll ask politely for it to be removed but will still vote for the bill if it isn't.

As I said a few pages ago, this is a much more important issue (to me) than these other issues stealing the headlines...

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I said a few pages ago, this is a much more important issue (to me) than these other issues stealing the headlines...

Same here.

Salon's Glen Greenwald has provided excellent commentary on the ongoing FISA developments.

More democrat wisdom from his latest post:

Just as Nancy Pelosi ran to Time to justify her support for the FISA bill, Steny Hoyer yesterday spouted his justifications to The Politico and said this:

In an interview with Politico on Monday, Hoyer called the FISA legislation a "significant victory" for the Democratic Party -- one that neutralized an issue Republicans might have been able to use against Democrats in November while still, in his view, protecting the civil liberties of American citizens.

In other words, Democrats achieved a "significant victory" because -- by giving Republicans everything they demanded -- Republicans are no longer able to criticize Democrats on this issue. What a shrewd strategy: "if we comply with all their demands, then they can't criticize us for anything." That's the Democratic Party's plan for winning, according to Hoyer.

But that tactic isn't as innovative as Hoyer tries to suggest. That was exactly the mentality that led huge numbers of Democrats in 2002 to vote to authorize Bush's attack on Iraq: "Let's give the Republicans everything they want on national security and then they can't criticize us any more. That'll show them." Aside from being the very definition of cravenness -- "let's comply with all the GOP's orders and then they won't be mad and that will be good for us!" -- ask Max Cleland, who voted for the AUMF and then had commercials run against him with video of Saddam Hussein and Osama bin Laden, how well that strategy works.

the link - http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2008/06/24/hoyer/

My main problem with the immunity is not the immunity per-se. It is the fact that they have no clue as to what they are giving immunity for. For all we know the whole program has been targeting you and me or political opponents, or business opponents etc... Until they know what the immunity is for it should not be granted.

I don't see why it even matters. I can't think of a single thing that they could have been doing that they deserve immunity. If they did something illegal, they should be held to the same standard as anyone else and be subject to whatever criminal or civil punishments the system provides for. If they didn't do anything illegal, then they don't need immunity because there'd be nothing to immune them from. The whole point of this is to prevent an investigation into what the telecoms did, because it would likely implicate a whole lot of people in the White House and in both parties in Congress in much of the illegal behavior, or at least of being aware of it and not doing anything about it. It's totally CYA for Congress (as well as bowing down telecom execs who finance their campaigns).

I don't see why it even matters. I can't think of a single thing that they could have been doing that they deserve immunity. If they did something illegal, they should be held to the same standard as anyone else and be subject to whatever criminal or civil punishments the system provides for. If they didn't do anything illegal, then they don't need immunity because there'd be nothing to immune them from. The whole point of this is to prevent an investigation into what the telecoms did, because it would likely implicate a whole lot of people in the White House and in both parties in Congress in much of the illegal behavior, or at least of being aware of it and not doing anything about it. It's totally CYA for Congress (as well as bowing down telecom execs who finance their campaigns).

:yes

I'd also like to point out that the "liberal media" and the party's pocketed "527s" (eg, moveon.org) are doing an excellent job (if you search for it) of criticizing their own for what is happening and doing what they can to get grass roots support for getting immunity out of the bill.

http://www.jamesdobsondoesntspeakforme.com/

One of the guys who helped start this site is a minister from TX who supported Bush previously and now supports Obama.

NEITHER dobson or obama speaks for me...how 'bout them apples?

this minister from TX and his website can take a hike...as can obama and his ridiculous campaign machine.

jeez, enough with the religion already. that goes for BOTH of you (dobson and obama).

NEITHER dobson or obama speaks for me...how 'bout them apples?

well i for one am shocked that you feel this way, uw. ;) no, but i like your reliability, really and truly. you're starting to seem almost, well, avuncular!

jeez, enough with the religion already. that goes for BOTH of you (dobson and obama).

Obama would probably use it a lot less if half of the country wasn't stupid enough to believe that he was a secret Muslim (which, I guess, roughly translates to terrorist) sent here to bring down capitalism from the inside out.

Apparently Dodd & Feingold are planning a filibuster on immunity. Here is a handy FAQ from Russ Feingold's website about immunity.

Oh man do I love me some Chris Dodd.

Did you see when he was on O'Reilly discussing the Yearly Kos? Dodd ripped him a new one.

Oh man do I love me some Chris Dodd.

Right on, brother. When he spoke (at great length) last winter on this it was some riveting stuff. I was yelling and cheering at the TV like I was watching a ball game.

Obama would probably use it a lot less if half of the country wasn't stupid enough to believe that he was a secret Muslim (which, I guess, roughly translates to terrorist) sent here to bring down capitalism from the inside out.

half the country huh? hmmm, must have missed that poll. funny how disagreeing with the obama on issues translates into believing in dumbass emails...among other things.

half the country huh? hmmm, must have missed that poll. funny how disagreeing with the obama on issues translates into believing in dumbass emails...among other things.

Yep because that's all it is is just a few emails. Nothing on the news nothing on the tlak shows, just a few crack pots with email service.

Yep because that's all it is is just a few emails. Nothing on the news nothing on the tlak shows, just a few crack pots with email service.

are you responding to explodo, or me...because i was responding to his quote:

are you responding to explodo, or me...because i was responding to his quote:

Lets just say I was saying what I said, just a few crack pot emails nothing mainstream. It's not like it has entered the mainstream at all. I mean my friend who saw my wife and I fist bump after a good golf shot last week and said not to do that because it is what terrorists do, probably got that notion off of some whacked out email he recieved. Probably from the same email where he learned that Obama was raised Muslim in a madrassa in Indonesia, you know that one right? And it's not like it is main stream for any one to note Obama's middle name or the similarity of his last name to Osama? (Which by the way, the first time I heard this comparison was when Obama was running in the dem primaries for Senate). None of this is main stream and if it was it would not apply to you or anyone you know, just the fringe loonies with email.

Lets just say I was saying what I said, just a few crack pot emails nothing mainstream. It's not like it has entered the mainstream at all. I mean my friend who saw my wife and I fist bump after a good golf shot last week and said not to do that because it is what terrorists do, probably got that notion off of some whacked out email he recieved. Probably from the same email where he learned that Obama was raised Muslim in a madrassa in Indonesia, you know that one right? And it's not like it is main stream for any one to note Obama's middle name or the similarity of his last name to Osama? (Which by the way, the first time I heard this comparison was when Obama was running in the dem primaries for Senate). None of this is main stream and if it was it would not apply to you or anyone you know, just the fringe loonies with email.

whenever i read one of your posts it sounds like a frantic missive from lewis black.

he's a funny guy.