Anyone ever see these earlier musical legends in conert?

Maybe not "legendary," but whadaya want for $13?

1978 (July 1): Texxas Music Festival, Cotton Bowl, Dallas, Texas (General Admission - $13.00)

Local battle of the bands winner Shenendoah

Walter Egan

Van Halen

Eddie Money

Atlanta Rhythm Section (had the effect of making girls remove tops)

Head East

Journey

Heart

Ted Nugent

Aerosmith

Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush

Oh, and I was at the NY World's Fair in August 1965, the same month the Beatles played Shea. Tough to work that when you're 4.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Edgar Winter

Rod Argent (Argent/The Zombies)

and a couple of others I wouldn't call legends. But it was a fun show: I saw a BEATLE and, any rock fan really needs to experience Edgar Winter playing "Frankenstein" live before he dies. Seriously a f**k-all. Wow. Now, THAT is Rock!

I saw Edgar do a long set in Evanston a few years back when he opened for Dr. John.

It would have been @20 minutes of girls screaming - most likely.
And your point is.... :lol

The fact that those bands like Gary Pucket and the Grassroots all use the same rhythm section on the nostalgia tour is quite understandable. Those sorts of groups make the county fair circuit and make a very good lving doing so, but why have extra musicians if you don't have to? Just extra expence.

This thread is as boring as I thought it would be....what constitutes a legend anyway?? I mean I have seen County Basie (missed seeing Duke Ellington because I was stuck at the Toledo airport), Sun Ra, Little Richard, Muddy Waters, Waylon Jennings and so many other musicians I have mentioned over the years here. I am not sure it is a big deal. As far as Hendrix and the other musicians mentioned, many of them were dead before I was even close to the age most of you are now, so few if any of us (including me) had a chance to see them. I was still in college when Hendrix died.

LouieB

I saw Edgar do a long set in Evanston a few years back when he opened for Dr. John.

And your point is.... :lol

The fact that those bands like Gary Pucket and the Grassroots all use the same rhythm section on the nostalgia tour is quite understandable. Those sorts of groups make the county fair circuit and make a very good lving doing so, but why have extra musicians if you don't have to? Just extra expence.

This thread is as boring as I thought it would be....what constitutes a legend anyway?? I mean I have seen County Basie (missed seeing Duke Ellington because I was stuck at the Toledo airport), Sun Ra, Little Richard, Muddy Waters, Waylon Jennings and so many other musicians I have mentioned over the years here. I am not sure it is a big deal. As far as Hendrix and the other musicians mentioned, many of them were dead before I was even close to the age most of you are now, so few if any of us (including me) had a chance to see them. I was still in college when Hendrix died.

LouieB

That was my first thought when I saw the first post in this thread - as I think the average age here is pretty young, there is hardly anyone here that would have been old enough to see those bands. I know people who have seen LZ, The Beatles, etc., as well as, people who were at Woodstock. I hope to get up there and check out the museum next month.

I think it is sad - the deal with those bands, where it is one dude and a bunch of Holiday Inn lounge players or whatever. I have seen some shows on PBS that feature such bands - pretty terrible, actually. But, they have to eat.

I don't get it, Lou - why do you think it's not a big deal that you've seen Count Basie, Sun Ra and Muddy Waters among others? I think it is.

Certainly not speaking for Lou here, but my take is that it's kind of like: so X person was born at a certain time and was afforded an opportunity to see X performer and decided to go. Big deal. In hindsight, yeah, it's kind of cool to be able to say "I saw X perfrom," but really- so what?

For clarity, I'm not referring to the band named "X."

He didn't say he'd seen the band in the late '80s ... just Dave. That's how I read it, anyway.

Correct, he used to play solo a bunch and I thought it was late 80s. Could be wrong.

FWIW, Boyd Tinsley's band was doing pretty well in the area before DM brought him aboard.

REM on the Murmurs tour in 83 (?) really small club called Larry's Hideaway that no longer exists. Didn't really know who the band was.

In the "it's a small world" category, I was at this show too. Larry's was a total dump but they had some great shows. I remember seeing Los Lobos, The Fall, and Flipper off the top of my head and know I saw many others there too. The REM show was very good as I recall.

Certainly not speaking for Lou here, but my take is that it's kind of like: so X person was born at a certain time and was afforded an opportunity to see X performer and decided to go. Big deal. In hindsight, yeah, it's kind of cool to be able to say "I saw X perfrom," but really- so what?

I suppose that depends on if you view Hendrix as the same as John Mayer. Or The Knack as the same as The Beatles.

I suppose that depends on if you view Hendrix as the same as John Mayer. Or The Knack as the same as The Beatles.

Someone who saw Hendrix simply because he was alive and had the $5 to go see him shouldn't be a big deal, was my point. Especially if Hendrix was too high to play.

As for Jimi, I would have paid $$ to watch him take a nap.

Yeah, I probably would have ponied up a few bucks for that myself.

I took two pictures in the Haight-Ashbury area earlier this month: one of the street signs at that corner, and one of Hendrix's place.

Yeah, I probably would have ponied up a few bucks for that myself.

I took two pictures in the Haight-Ashbury area earlier this month: one of the street signs at that corner, and one of Hendrix's place.

I have a Hendrix shirt I bought around there somewhere - in 1985.

I have a Hendrix shirt I bought around there somewhere - in 1985.

Like a long sleeved silk purple one with pearl snaps, ruffles and a hidden pocket?...................................... or did you mean a t-shirt with his picture on it :heehee

Like a long sleeved silk purple one with pearl snaps, ruffles and a hidden pocket?...................................... or did you mean a t-shirt with his picture on it :heehee

Yes, and one of his guitars - all for 10 bucks.

On the serious side, I could have bought some original Morrison drawings once, and did not.

Maybe not "legendary," but whadaya want for $13?

1978 (July 1): Texxas Music Festival, Cotton Bowl, Dallas, Texas (General Admission - $13.00)

Local battle of the bands winner Shenendoah

Walter Egan

Van Halen

Eddie Money

Atlanta Rhythm Section (had the effect of making girls remove tops)

Head East

Journey

Heart

Ted Nugent

Aerosmith

Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush

Oh, and I was at the NY World's Fair in August 1965, the same month the Beatles played Shea. Tough to work that when you're 4.

I gotta break radio silence for this one...

I WAS THERE TOO BRO!! Was a damn good show and hotter than hell...

Un-Legendary bands started diluting the gene pool on page #1. (BTW, I don't have a problem with that)

As for Jimi, I would have paid $$ to watch him take a nap.

I agree with all of these sentiments. And, I was also afraid that this would happen.

Sadly, I am afraid that I was party to the dillution. Sorry.

I don't get it, Lou - why do you think it's not a big deal that you've seen Count Basie, Sun Ra and Muddy Waters among others? I think it is.

Yea, but only in context is my point. (see below..I agree with Lammy's comments....) Just saying I saw X (actually I did, but only when they reformed back a few years ago... :lol ) is sort of not that interesting. If we talk about Sun Ra and what his music means and how he presented it as part of a discussion on this or that, yea, I have never hestitated to jump in on that kind of discussion. But frankly who is impressed with just dropping names..... Okay I saw the Dead Kenneys... not the real Kennedys.

I regret all the bands I didn't see, that could be another thread and I have talked about fucking up and NOT seeing the Velvet Underground (my biggest regret musically) when they used to play La Cave in Cleveland and weren't even playing NYC.

I saw Zappa in 1970 by the way...Flo and Eddie era.

LouieB