You can't go wrong with "Paul Simon" or " There Goes Rhymin' Simon."

Parsley Sage Rosemary and Thyme was probably one of the first albums I ever bought. Been a fan ever since.

While I usually wouldn't recommend a greatest hits collection, Negotiations and Love Songs is exceptional:

41R7FBBEJCL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Hearts and Bones is one of my favorite tunes ever.

Parsley Sage Rosemary and Thyme was probably one of the first albums I ever bought. Been a fan ever since.
Start with Simon and Garfunkel first and then to on to Rhymin Simon. I am sure the Greatest hits packages are pretty good too. S&Gs albums 2-5 are certainly all worth it. I would go early rather than late on Paul's solo career however.

LouieB

I'm usually not a greatest hits fan, but this is a good 2 cd collection. The first cd is basically the same as the one above + a few other tracks. The 2nd cd is Graceland and after. You must own Graceland, though. It's a classic. Probably should've been on my top 20, but I don't think I included it.

51mcnIYyrtL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

All of the above-mentioned are definitely the essential Paul Simon, but The Rhythm of the Saints is a remarkable album, too... as the follow-up to Graceland, I don't think it got quite as much cred as it deserved, but well worth a listen.

Surprise from a couple years back has snuck up on me with each listen. He has such a way with a melody.

Start with all the S&G albums (if you're only familiar with the hits), then move chronologically through Paul Simon, with the exceptions of One-Trick Pony and You're The One. (IMO, not as good as the other ones, which are AMAZING)

Graceland to start. Many people don't know much about his more recent release You're The One, which is beautiful from start to finish. Each time we get a used copy of it in at the record store I work at I put it on immediately and it always sells before we lock up the doors for the night.

Thanks for all the ideas folks. I think I'll pick up Graceland.

Should be plenty of used copies around....it was a huge seller, both on vinyl and CD. Don't know how I forgot about this one, it produced several hit singles and was his last really big seller (Rhythm of the Saints is also a good album, although One Trick Pony wouldn't be my first choice.....not a good movie BTW....)

LouieB

I certainly wouldn't start with it, but I did want to mention that I enjoy the hell out of Surprise, which came out just a couple of years ago. Produced by Brian Eno, too (so that was the hook for me, in the first place).

I loved the melodies on "You're the One" which came out I think in 2000?

But "Graceland" is pretty good, I think "You Can Call Me Al" was on that? (So no wonder it sold so many copies.)

I would vote for "Paul Simon"! MAN, so many beautiful tracks.

I own every S & G and Paul Simon solo albums. I love them all. However, I would make a special point to purchase

There Goes Rhymin' Simon

&

Graceland

For me, both surpass the rest of his catalogue because from start to finish both sound like he's having a blast. One of his flaws both as a solo artist and w/ Garfunkel was a lot of the music and lyrics came across as too serious and not that loose and carefree. I think these two albums combine the best of both sides of the coin.

Plus, both have songs that would rank in my top 5 Paul Simon songs of all-time

American Tune (There Goes Rhymin' Simon)

Graceland (Graceland)

I envy the idea of discovering his music for the first time.

But "Graceland" is pretty good, I think "You Can Call Me Al" was on that? (So no wonder it sold so many copies.)

Yes Al is on Graceland, and was the big single from the album. This is likely in part due to the "Chevy Chase bump" received from You Can Call Me Al music video.

--Mike

If you can get your hands on a copy, his MTV Unplugged performance is a nice companion piece to his solo Central Park concert. Much of the same material is covered but in a more intimate setting. Very warm and engaging performance.

I envy the idea of discovering his music for the first time.
Seems a bit hard to believe however....both S&G and Simon's solo work are still played on radio fairly frequently.

My sister bough Sounds of Silence when it came out and I remember going into the newly opened Record Revolution on Coventry Rd. in Cleveland Heights and buying Bridge Over Troubled Water when there were only a handful of albums being sold because they had just opened.

LouieB

If you can get your hands on a copy, his MTV Unplugged performance is a nice companion piece to his solo Central Park concert. Much of the same material is covered but in a more intimate setting. Very warm and engaging performance.

Thanks for the heads up,Just picked it up and since it's not an off.release it should be possible to say where to find it(Flac or MP3):

http://rapidshare.com/users/K7NGZQ

Paul Simon Unplugged

Kaufman Astoria Studios, NY

(01) Born at the Right Time

(02) Me and Julio

(03) The Boy in the Bubble

(04) The Coast (Breakdown)

(05) The Coast

(06) Mrs Robinson

(07) Bridge Over Troubled Water

(08) Graceland

(09) Jonah

(10) She Moves On

(11) Still Crazy After All These Years

(12) Cecilia

(13) Fifty Ways to Leave Your Lover

(14) Something So Right

(15) The Boxer

(16) Homeward Bound

(17) Scarborough Fair

(18) Born at the Right Time(corrupt file in Flac version don't know about the mp3 one)

(19) Me and Julio

(20) The Coast (False Start)

(21) The Coast

(22) Filling in Time Jam

(23) Late in the Evening

• 2 weeks later...

While I still like Simon and Garfunkel and think Simon has written some incredible songs this article has totally tainted my opinion of the man.

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/9391/LONE-...-STEVE-BERLIN/1

I have nothing but respect for Los Lobos as one of THE hardest working bands on the planet. If a fellow musician, ones that have the respect of pretty much everybody in the industry, are willing to say this, there's no doubt in my mind it's true