Wilco -- 7/25/08, Fairbanks, AK

Just a quick recap for now. Got out of the show around 10:30 PM and it was still broad daylight. Gotta love Alaska summers.

Big news was the debut of two new songs, neither of which was the one played at the recent Obama benefit (I don't think). One Wing was a three-guitar psychedelic jam, while Sunny Feeling was more of a straightforward, yet jaunty pop tune.

The setlist:

Either Way

Company In My Back

You Are My Face

Side With The Seeds

War on War

A Shot in the Arm

new song-One Wing

Jesus, etc.

Impossible Germany

new song-Sunny Feeling

Summerteeth

Handshake Drugs

Pot Kettle Black

Poor Places>

Spiders (Kidsmoke)

--------------------

California Stars

Hate It Here

Can't Stand It

Walken

I'm The Man Who Loves You

--------------------

Heavy Metal Drummer

Red Eyed and Blue>

I Got You (At The End of the Century)

Monday>

Outta Site (Outta Mind)>

Hoodoo Voodoo

Great to hear--thanks for the setlist which has to make those hitting shows in August pretty excited.

How was the crowd in size and enthusiasm?

Anyone make it to Pioneerland!? Yeehaw! I love Alaska! Have fun in Anchorage y'all! I highly recommend you drive the (Slightly) longer way through Delta Junction to Anchorage rather than through Denali! Less traffic better scenery in my opinion! :dancing

Amazing set list! Nice to see Either Way and Summerteeth, and that second encore must've been amazing. It's also great that they're road testing some new songs. I asked Nels about that last week, and he said he wasn't sure it was going to happen, but if Jeff wanted to play any of the new songs they've already worked on, he'd be ready. Let's hope they keep it up!

One Wing - "a 3 guitar psychedelic jam". Hmm...I wouldn't be innarested in hearing that! :lol

My ex (who got her PhD at UAF) tells me I've been to this place before but I don't remember it. Would have been cool to be there, but I still think if they were going to play that close to Arctic Circle that close to the Solstice, they should've done it outside under the arctic twilight.

My ex (who got her PhD at UAF) tells me I've been to this place before but I don't remember it. Would have been cool to be there, but I still think if they were going to play that close to Arctic Circle that close to the Solstice, they should've done it outside under the arctic twilight.

The show was outside. We didn't even step foot inside the place which, on the whole, kind of looks like a roadhouse and is right off of the Parks Highway. :ninja

The crowd was smaller than I thought it'd be (I don't think it sold out, did it?) but the enthusiasm was inspiring. People really were wired up about seeing such a great band in such a fun atmosphere. Excepting a few overly drinky folks, the people we met were just great. And the band responded with enthusiasm back.

We drove back to Anchorage all night, there was no traffic going through Denali in the middle of the night at all of course, and everytime I woke from dozing, seeing those mountains looming up from the mist made me think I had to be dreaming. I say any universe that has mountains like that is a great universe to live in.

This show was so much fun. Really, really. I loved hearing the new songs ... and the older ones, too. Nice attention to sun imagery in the setlist, especially starting out with "Either Way." And there's nothing like dancing to "Hoodoo Voodoo" under the midnight (okay, 10:30 p.m.) sun (behind some clouds). I'm very glad our vacation is only halfway over.

A few pictures:

Hiking in Denali

2704729532_d06b35155b.jpg

Stage setup at the Blue Loon

2703903337_cc51d11a9d.jpg

Hoodoo Voodoo

2704728498_aa73aff807.jpg

After the show (around 10:45 p.m.)

2704726030_7c3c73b091.jpg

Dinner in Nenana (11:30 p.m.)

2703899413_5d4970ba46.jpg

Just got off the plane with the whole band from Fairbanks. They all said they had a great time and thought the venue was pretty cool. Its raining a bit in Anchorage so lets hope it clears for tonight.

Great show! Saw 1 guy with a mic in Fairbanks..hope it turns out.

Great pics, and totally bizarre seeing so much light at 10:30 pm. Um, Brianne... do I see WI blaze orange following you around in the form of barracades near the stage?

"sunny feeling"

not sure I'm going to like this one just from the title...

But Walken, Impossible Germany, What Light, and Let's Not Get Carried Away gave you good impressions from their titles? Reservations was originally a song about a table for two at Gino's.

I'm excited for this one because it seems like the title could be steeped in irony.

"sunny feeling"

not sure I'm going to like this one just from the title...

Well, for one, that might not necessarily be the title (although that's what it's listed as on the setlist). But the chorus is "Sunny feeling's taken away" repeated like four times, so the song has a darker theme to it. It's one of those songs that has a cheery arrangement, but actually sad lyrics. There's also a part that goes something like "I was on my way home from high school/Got stuck at the crossing (?)/The kids are still cruel."

When the band played the song at the Anchorage show under a gray sky and amid a steady rain, Jeff commented that the song was about a day like this one.

Yes, that orange was quite familiar. The barrier in front of the stage formed a sort of table, though - good for resting drinks and a pre-show salmon burger. And Judy, I sensed you waving.

"Sunny Feeling" has been going through my head this morning. It is not sunny.

Yes, that orange was quite familiar. The barrier in front of the stage formed a sort of table, though - good for resting drinks and a pre-show salmon burger. And Judy, I sensed you waving.

"Sunny Feeling" has been going through my head this morning. It is not sunny.

Does it sound like something that could've been on 'Summerteeth?'

I really hope we get to hear all three of these new songs soon! :dancing