So after moving from a house with a garage perfect for jamming into a tiny apartment where noise is an issue I've decided to downgrade my amp (also money plays a pretty big part :hmm).

Right now I have a Fender Deluxe Reverb '65 Reissue. I'm thinking something with less wattage, but I would like to keep in the realm of tubeage. In other words no solid state technology. The Deluxe Reissue is in pretty great condition so I figure I can get somewhere around 500-600 bucks. At least that's what I've seen em go for. Does that sound about right?

Oh also I play a Jaguar if that helps. Here are some amps I'm thinking about:

Blues Junior

Pro Junior

And I kind of got stuck. Doesn't necessarily have to be Fender, those are just the ones I found. I haven't test driven any of them since I just decided today that I want to do this. Anyone have any ideas or experience with this sort of deal?

I just went through this. Not because of apartment living but I have kids and like to play late at night. I tried a few tube amps and nothing was low enough. I ended up getting a Super Champ XD.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fen...ombo?sku=483075

Yes it is a tube amp but it has amp modeling that I thought would be a turn off. Unfortunately it is the only way for me to get a decent distortion tone late at night.I tried a few different Vox amps and they all went back. Quality just wasn't there. All of them had noise issues I couldn't get past including 2 different Heritage AC15. If you can keep your amp I would. I own 3 other amps Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier,Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Fender Twin Reverb. Super Champ works for late nights and I can actually see myself recording with it. Good Luck. Let me know what you end up with.

This probably doesn't help you at all because it is likely more than you are looking to spend, but I LOVE my THD Univalve. It is a great studio/bedroom amp. You can readily switch out tubes for endless tone options and it will dummy load (is that the right terminology?) when not using a speaker so you can o direct to a recording device or headphones without damaging the amp. It sounds phenomenal!

Oh also I play a Jaguar if that helps. Here are some amps I'm thinking about:

Blues Junior

Pro Junior

Both are good choices. If you're looking to get a tube amp that will break up a really low volumes, I recommend a Fender Champ -- seriously inexpensive, but nice tone for the cost. Not much going for it as far as features (you'll need a good reverb pedal), and you will have to tweak it a little (at the very least re-tube it immediately -- the factory tubes aren't great), but I've been very happy with the nice, warm overdriven tube sound I can get at very low volumes -- great for recording. If your budget and living space allow for it though, the two amps you've mentioned above should make you pretty happy. If your budget can allow for even more, there are some really great low-wattage boutique amps out there like the Swart Space Tone.

there are some really great low-wattage boutique amps out there like the Swart Space Tone.

These are great. Buddy of mine has one and picked it up off Ebay for about $600 bucks.

I've been considering a second amp as of late. I'm really intrigued by the new Princeton 65 Reverb "Re-issue" (Linky).

Anxious to try one of these.

15W may be more than your looking for tho.

Epiphone Valve Juniors are 5 watt tube amps. I used to have one, and it sounded great. I regret parting with it. Super cheap amps!

This is the one I had (it was $99, probably slightly higher nowadays):

463fd81f4ffcf.jpg

I played it through a Peavey 12" cabinet, but Epiphone now makes a cool looking matching cabinet:

N_new2007t.jpg

They also make a combo version with an 8" speaker:

463fd9d119313.jpg

I just sold my Blues Jr. NOS in favor of keeping my Pro Jr. Tone was way better I thought...although I built a bigger cab and put a 12' speaker in it but still, even before that it sounded better (more organic breakup). It has to get pretty loud before you get nice breakup though. I have recorded some dirty tremolo soaked stuff at low volumes with an OD and some reverb.

You might look for something along the lines of an old Silvertone. I have a 1482...it was cheap and it sounds amazing...circuit is similar to a 50's Deluxe. Scotty Moore (Elvis' guitarist) played a 5 watt Magnatone. I'll stop now...

...for what it's worth.

Good luck.

The Blues and Pro Juniors arer 15 watt amps. The Deluxe Reverb is 22 watts. I would think you'd get almost as much volume out ot the Blues or Pro as you would get out of the Deluxe Reverb, making either of them kind of pointless as replacements. I have the same Deluxe Reverb Reissue that you have and my 15 watt Traynor amp (when working properly...which is rarely) is just as loud as the Deluxe Rev. Even the 5 watt Epiphone pumped out some volume...definitely loud enough to wake the neighbors if I lived in an apartment.

Your best bet might be to keep the Deluxe Reverb and get an attenuator so you can get a good sound at a low volume. I've never tried one, but I hear they're an ideal solution for apartments.

Jff's right. All of those amps can pump out the volume in a way that will totally annoy neighbors. You can turn them down to avoid annoying neighbors, but you can do that to your current amp, too. Of course, you won't get that cranked amp sound, but to do that, you have to crank the amp, which, even at five watts will blow the doors off your apartment.* Here's a solution that all of the tone-snobs will hate but I think is ideal:

Get an amp modeler.

Really. You can get a Korg Ampworks off of Ebay for $40. The effects are lame (except for the compression), but you get a dozen or so amps and a dozen or so speakers. Get a set of headphones and you're set. You'll never have to worry about your volume, you get to keep your DRRI (which is an excellent amp), and if you ever do any bedroom recording, an amp modeler is a lot easier than mic'ing an amp.

* A friend of mine has a champ that breaks up quick, but I think that's because it's actually broken.

Thanks everyone! I think I've reached one conclusion...I shall keep the DR because I really do love it. I think I'll take a look at the Champ, the Valve Jr., and boutiques. I can probably hold off until my birthday in September. Also I'm only staying in this apartment for a year and hopefully I'll be able to find someplace to rehearse.

Oh and as for reverb pedals, what do you guys think? I guess I should just head down to the shop and try some out.

The Blues and Pro Juniors arer 15 watt amps. The Deluxe Reverb is 22 watts. I would think you'd get almost as much volume out ot the Blues or Pro as you would get out of the Deluxe Reverb, making either of them kind of pointless as replacements.

Your best bet might be to keep the Deluxe Reverb and get an attenuator so you can get a good sound at a low volume. I've never tried one, but I hear they're an ideal solution for apartments.

+1 on this...im assuming you are looking for distorted sounds, because the clean at low volume on the DRRI is very good...ill never abandon my fender 65 DRRi, although i sure like the vox AC30cc1 i just bought

I will say that to get the Pro jr to break up at lower volume is easier that the DRRI, and the Blues jr has the 'hot' gain drive for this purpose, but tonally you will sacrifice a bit

Were it me id take $35 and build an insulated isolation cab for the fender to keep volume under control, but i like to build things so may be not your cup of tea

Oh and as for reverb pedals, what do you guys think? I guess I should just head down to the shop and try some out.

boss re20 with expression pedal works for me!

On the amp issue, what was said before is absolutely right. Even 5 tube watts may be a little much for apartment living, but there's no way you'll be satisfied with the Pro Jr or Blues Jr. You'll never get the volume needed to get some gain going. If you look at boutique, look into some of the lower watt ams that have power scaling, which sort of acts like a built in attenuator. Most of the builders are building more and more models of these due to the high demand from bedroom players. Full volume tone at bedroom levels.

As far as reverbs, I'm more than happy with the Nova Reverb. It won't do the over-the-top stuff, but it's a great natural sounding 'verb. The Holy Grails sound awesome but can tend to be noisy. I've heard great things about the Line 6 Verbzilla, especially for the way out stuff.

I guess the thing I'm worried most about regarding the amp is that the people living below me will eventually break through their ceiling/ my floor from banging on it so many times. My room is on the corner of the building and far enough away (with enough walls in-between) from our neighboring apartments that that shouldn't be a problem.

So yeah like you said juice, full volume tone at bedroom levels.

I guess the thing I'm worried most about regarding the amp is that the people living below me will eventually break through their ceiling/ my floor from banging on it so many times. My room is on the corner of the building and far enough away (with enough walls in-between) from our neighboring apartments that that shouldn't be a problem.

So yeah like you said juice, full volume tone at bedroom levels.

Like any good apartment dweller, you should own a Hot Plate.

Pawn Shop special! Original from head to toe, even have the original tubes. I wouldn't part with this thing over any gear of mine, even ten times the price. I know Black Face Fender's are highly prized, but I see the silver face as a diamond in the rough. You can get the champ for cheaper but the tremelo is as sweet as can be. No studio in the world is without one.

I concur. I picked up a '71 Fender Vibro Champ Silverface last week and love it. All original except the tubes for $450 -- mint condition. I also got a Maxon overdrive pedal to play through it (same cicuitry as the old Tube Screamers from what I understand.) I don't live in an apartment, but I play it upstairs while the wife and kids are sleeping below, and I have had no complaints thus far! It really is a great sounding amp, and I think Oceanman is right -- for the price these things are a diamond in the rough -- I would expect them to hold/increase in value over time.