The Girl in the Window

Here is a special feature article from my local newspaper the St Petersburg Times. Thought I would share this since I have never heard of anything like this. Basically, authorities found this young girl a few years ago in a disgusting house, seriously neglected. She was 7 years old and couldn't speak, wasn't fed. The details are haunting. And this girl's mother isn't in jail yet.

Warning: I had to take breaks from reading this. It is graphically heart-breaking.

The Girl in the Window

Somehow I can't imagine that an IQ of 77 was the sole problem with the mother in this case.

Sole problem? No. Big contributing factor in not understanding how to care for another human being, yeah. Add to that the almost superstitious fear of the law, this is what happens. People live in this kind of darkness everywhere.

There are so many reproductive people like this who fall through the cracks, no chasms, in our social welfare systems. That poor baby is far from an anomaly.

I read it in the Times yesterday. Tragic. A feral child in 2005! What was equally disturbing was that DCF was at the house twice before. How could they not have interviewed the child? that is incompetence. If they did and didn't remove her, it's criminal.

Isn't this the organization which lost track of something like 200 kids it was supposed to be supervising?

Guest Jules
Sole problem? No. Big contributing factor in not understanding how to care for another human being, yeah. Add to that the almost superstitious fear of the law, this is what happens. People live in this kind of darkness everywhere.

There are so many reproductive people like this who fall through the cracks, no chasms, in our social welfare systems. That poor baby is far from an anomaly.

Point taken with regards to the weaknesses in social welfare systems, but a feral child today is an anomaly for sure. Very few documented cases worldwide.

That was a difficult read, but I'm encouraged that Dani is making progress. And while she will very likely never be a "normal" child, she is with a family that clearly cares for her and shrouds her in love. I hope that in, say, 10 years, the reporter revisits this family for an update on Dani.

Kevin

• 2 months later...

If anyone is interested in this story and would like to see how Dani is doing, this story will be featured on an upcoming episode of Oprah. Not sure on the exact date but should be within the next week or two (it's already been taped). I'll update when I hear more details.

If anyone is interested in this story and would like to see how Dani is doing, this story will be featured on an upcoming episode of Oprah. Not sure on the exact date but should be within the next week or two (it's already been taped). I'll update when I hear more details.

Wow, I might actually watch Oprah.

What a story. I'm touched, really. I hope that little girl can one day comprehend all of it, or even comprehend normal things like an adult.

I cannot be mad at the mother. Her IQ is 77, so I do not expect her to understand what she had or had not done. The thing that seems strange is that she was able to raise 2 boys to adulthood.

• 4 months later...