The "I so don't care about the Olympics" thread

Well, our girl was on tonight for the platform synchro diving. They got 5th place :ohwell but it was still pretty cool to have the announcers talking about our hometown, and I saw her parents (who I graduated HS with) in the stands a few times.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always forget how much I love the Olympics until they're in full swing and I'm glued to the TV. The summer games grab me more than the winter games, but in both I can usually find a new sport I've never cared for before that is now drawing my interest, on top of the old favorites that draw me in. This year's Olympics is already among the most exciting in a while. Totally loving swimming and basketball, and surprised by how entertaining I'm finding the gymnastics and diving. Looking forward to watching some baseball soon.

The lowdown on that McLovin lookalike:

PHELPS' PIG SECRET: HE'S BOY GORGE

By CLEMENTE LISI with Post Wire Services

Swimming sensation Michael Phelps has an Olympic recipe for success - and it involves eating a staggering 12,000 calories a day.

"Eat, sleep and swim. That's all I can do," Phelps, who won two more gold medals today, told NBC when asked what he needs to win medals. "Get some calories into my system and try to recover the best I can."

By comparison, the average man of the same age needs to ingest about 2,000 calories a day.

Phelps, 23, will swim 17 times over nine days of competition at the Beijing Games - meaning that he will need all the calories he can shovel in his mouth in order to keep his energy levels high.

Phelps' diet - which involves ingesting 4,000 calories every time he sits down for a meal - resembles that of a reckless overeater rather than an Olympian.

Phelps lends a new spin to the phrase "Breakfast of Champions" by starting off his day by eating three fried-egg sandwiches loaded with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, fried onions and mayonnaise.

He follows that up with two cups of coffee, a five-egg omelet, a bowl of grits, three slices of French toast topped with powdered sugar and three chocolate-chip pancakes.

At lunch, Phelps gobbles up a pound of enriched pasta and two large ham and cheese sandwiches slathered with mayo on white bread - capping off the meal by chugging about 1,000 calories worth of energy drinks.

For dinner, Phelps really loads up on the carbs - what he needs to give him plenty of energy for his five-hours-a-day, six-days-a-week regimen - with a pound of pasta and an entire pizza.

He washes all that down with another 1,000 calories worth of energy drinks.

Phelps remains on course to at least equal Mark Spitz's record of seven gold medals won at the 1972 Munich Games.

At these Summer Games, a typical day for Phelps starts with a 5 a.m. wake-up call. Most of his races have taken place between 8 p.m. and 10 p.m. ET when in China - 12 hours ahead of East Coast time.

First Fireworksgate. Then Plainlittlegirlgate. Now this.

"This just in: U.N. orders sensitivity training for entire European country."

Falling in love with a Russian gymnast, US-Russia basketball, Spitz, the terrorists. Was more than an 11-year-old should have to process.

Yep. I was 10. And I'll never forget the gloom in the house after that basketball game.

It's amazing how much the skill level has evolved. When did they move the bars farther apart so that they don't do the hip-smash-bounce move anymore?

I can't answer your question - but just watching multiple Olga Korbut routines, it seems she had more grace and skill than anything I have seen this year. I actually have been pretty underwhelmed by the women's gymnastics this year - and I don't like the scoring system.

Falling in love with a Russian gymnast, US-Russia basketball, Spitz, the terrorists. Was more than an 11-year-old should have to process.

I read a story about him the other day - he is pissed off about not being invited to the Olympics. I was 6 years old that summer.

I can't answer your question - but just watching multiple Olga Korbut routines, it seems she had more grace and skill than anything I have seen this year. I actually have been pretty underwhelmed by the women's gymnastics this year - and I don't like the scoring system.

I think it's deceiving. The bars are much different now (farther apart and smaller circumference), and those moves Korbut was doing aren't even allowed anymore. Also, the giant swing wasn't allowed back then, but is a main part of the routines now.