The "I so don't care about the Olympics" thread

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on what you mean by not caring. I haven't cared about medal counts or anything like that since I was a kid in the 80s and we had to beat the Russians in everything.

Since then, though, it's just fun watching sports and competition that you don't ordinarily get to see. Especially on such a global stage. And it's still fun to root for the USA.

I don't really care. I'm already gearing up for football season, since football is the only sport I get excited about. I'll probably end up watching a few events since I'm sure the Olympics will dominate programming for the next few weeks, but I'm not going to set my DVR or anything. I do like watching swimming--I had some friends in college who swam competitively--so I might watch that.

So where are we meeting for drinks? I bet I can earn at least a bronze in the "who can run up the biggest tab during the Olympics" competition (women's).

The Olympics used to be alot more fun to watch when you had all those commie countries to root against for.

The 2008 mascots are cute, but

are even cuter! Plus, they recycle!

I'm getting excited about the 2010 Olympics because the school that I work at is going to be closed during the games. (They need our parking lot.) Should be total madness.

The Winter Olympics I like better. I'm sorry - I just don't have a great deal of interest in track and field and gymnastics. (Swimming is OK - I might watch that.) And with the Cold War over, it's just not that high-stakes anymore. Plus, the whole "Dream Team" thing turns me right the hell off. I understand why they got rid of the "amateurs only" thing, but I don't like it, as much as I don't like the hype being crammed down my throat. Shit, you'd think the Olympics were Coldplay or something.

The best basketball players in the world playing together on the same team is, at times, beautiful to watch. The first two Dream Teams were perfect.

Did you even see the first Dream Team?

(You're correct, regardless.)

Guest Jules
The best basketball players in the world playing together on the same team is, at times, beautiful to watch. The first two Dream Teams were perfect.

Even though they can't shoot.

I couldn't care less about the summer Olympics. Winter is where it's at! I can't wait for Vancouver 2010 :D Olympic hockey? Yes please!!!

I lost interest in basketball when Nash announced he wouldn't play.

I hated the first Dream Team (Magic, Bird Jordan etc) because the hype fell in line with the most milquetoast aspects of the 90s from that time: Hootie & the Blowfish, Home Improvement, Garth Brooks, etc.

I hated the first Dream Team (Magic, Bird Jordan etc) because the hype fell in line with the most milquetoast aspects of the 90s from that time: Hootie & the Blowfish, Home Improvement, Garth Brooks, etc.

You must have been quite a fan (or living in South Carolina) to have heard of Hootie & the Blowfish in '92. Were you upset when, two years later, suddenly everyone else was into them too?

You must have been quite a fan (or living in South Carolina) to have heard of Hootie & the Blowfish in '92. Were you upset when, two years later, suddenly everyone else was into them too?

he liked pink floyd cover bands.