The "I so don't care about the Olympics" thread

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait, how long do they last?

FOREVAH! (17 days, I think)

I like diving. When's diving?

The best basketball players in the world playing together on the same team is, at times, beautiful to watch. The first two Dream Teams were perfect.

I stayed at the same hotel as the first Dream Team before they headed over to Barcelona. I am not sure why they were in Newark, New Jersey at the same time my family was. I was a big NBA fan at the time (age 12, my dad had company Bucks and Bulls tickets) so I was thrilled. I remember seeing a bunch of players around, and Coach K. I waited for an elevator with Michael Jordan. :o

Actually, now that I think about it, I believe much of Bobby Brown and Whitney Houston's wedding party was staying there at the same time. Crazy times in the Newark Marriott!

i like watching the figure skating in winter when you just feel sick because you know she's going to fall. no, seriously, not that part. ice dancing is where it's at. a russian couple won the gold sometime in the '90s and one of their dances was about the most beautiful thing i've ever seen. i've tried to find a video of it and had no luck. any ideas?

the skiers are great to watch. they're so gutsy -- i get humbled with admiration.

FOREVAH! (17 days, I think)

Actually, now that I think about it, I believe much of Bobby Brown and Whitney Houston's wedding party was staying there at the same time. Crazy times in the Newark Marriott!

:yay That is so ridiculously random and hilarous!

I just heard an interview with Michael Phelps on NPR, and I have to admit that I felt a little excitement about the whole thing. Perhaps I've been too hasty in claiming that "I so don't care about the Olympics."

Our national anthem kicks ass!

Just sayin'

Even though I am farily jaded and cynical, I'll be damned if I don't tear up when I hear it. It always stirkes me that it ends in a question.

O! say can you see by the dawn's early light

What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming.

Whose broad stripes and bright stars through the perilous fight,

O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming.

And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,

Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.

Oh, say does that star-spangled banner yet wave

O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

that relay was amazing! you people who aren't watching are seriously missing out.

Yes it was! That may be the best thing we'll see this time - just awesome.

that relay was amazing! you people who aren't watching are seriously missing out.

we were watching. that kicked ass. phelps is kind of a dufus and my wife simply refuses to recognize it. it's fun.

we were watching. that kicked ass. phelps is kind of a dufus and my wife simply refuses to recognize it. it's fun.

If she wants to stalk him, I know where Wilco's loft his condo is.

I think he's moving back to Baltimore soon, though, so she better hurry.

there is definitely some man candy competing this year. For some reason athletes in the same sport seem to look alike. Most male swimmers have underbites for example.

I love the olympics!! The athletes are so dedicated to doing something productive. It makes me proud for them.

My fiance and I were settling in to watch the relay last night and my mother, who is in town visiting us but had gone up to bed, yells down the stairs, "your brother just called and said the U.S. won the relay and set a world record." Ugh, no need to watch that now. How can NBC claim "live coverage" when only 1/4 of the country actually sees it live. :angry

My fiance and I were settling in to watch the relay last night and my mother, who is in town visiting us but had gone up to bed, yells down the stairs, "your brother just called and said the U.S. won the relay and set a world record." Ugh, no need to watch that now. How can NBC claim "live coverage" when only 1/4 of the country actually sees it live. :angry

Ouch. How unfortunate.

Can't remember where I read it, but a columnist ripped into NBC pretty severely for delaying events for the West Coast. (I thought it was King Kaufman in Salon, but apparently not.)

If she wants to stalk him, I know where Wilco's loft his condo is.

I think he's moving back to Baltimore soon, though, so she better hurry.

Too bad Phelp's had all those endorsement deals before he enrolled at U of M. If he had been eligible, Michigan probably would have won a few national titles.

I used to be the most fanatic Olympics fan. It kinda vanished a bit over the years, but I still always watched as much as I could.

Until now.

I seriously don't want to watch something like e.g. the opening ceremonies, only to find out later that what I saw was neither live nor probably the real thing.

I guess I just don't like censorship :monkey