Georgia says Russian aircraft bombed its air bases

By MUSA SADULAYEV, Associated Press Writer

DZHAVA, Georgia - Russia sent columns of tanks and reportedly bombed Georgian air bases Friday after Georgia launched a military offensive to retake the breakaway province of South Ossetia, threatening to ignite a broader conflict.

Hundreds of civilians were reported dead in the worst outbreak of hostilities since the province won de facto independence in a war against Georgia that ended in 1992. Witnesses said the South Ossetian capital of Tskhinvali was devastated.

"I saw bodies lying on the streets, around ruined buildings, in cars," said Lyudmila Ostayeva, 50, who fled with her family to Dzhava, a village near the border with Russia. "It's impossible to count them now. There is hardly a single building left undamaged."

The fighting broke out as much of the world's attention was focused on the start of the Olympic Games and many leaders, including Russia's Prime Minister Vladimir Putin and President Bush, were in Beijing.

The timing suggests Georgian President Mikhail Saakashvili may have been counting on surprise to fulfill his longtime pledge to wrest back control of South Ossetia

World war three probaly already began exactly when world war two ended and the milatary industrial complex took form, but yea this is scarry stuff

but hey being alive is scary so I say do what you can while you can dont be transformed by fear!!

World War III was really the Cold War, which was very hot indeed in a lot of places. Since neither the U.S., China or the E.U. look like they're going to mobilize the troops to save Georgia, I think the missiles will stay in their silos. If I was Georgia, I would be wondering where the white flags are kept.

Rice said in a statement the United States wants Russia to respect Georgian sovereignty and agree to stop being a bully.

Ivan said in a statement Russia wants the United States to respect Iraqi sovereignty and agree to stop being a bully.

Rice said in a statement the United States wants Russia to respect Georgian sovereignty and agree to stop being a bully.

Ivan said in a statement Russia wants the United States to respect Iraqi sovereignty and agree to stop being a bully.

oh you

If I was Georgia, I would be wondering where the white flags are kept.

Probably a good idea. I can't see the USA getting involved with Russia because of Georgia...as cold as it may sound, the US would throw them to the wolves as to avoid Russian conflict.

This won't turn into WWIII. Far too localized. Russia and Georgia will fight it out or work it out, and that'll be the end of it.

...he said, hopefully.

I just saw Bush @ the Olympics with his coat off and legs spread (no joke). Laura looked like a stepford wife clapping like a sweet pretty Delta Zeta robot. They don't seem to care about this situation.

I saw Putin, he didnt seem to care either. Probably because when your at the Olympics you should just treat it as sports and save the politics for when you get back home

World War III was really the Cold War, which was very hot indeed in a lot of places. Since neither the U.S., China or the E.U. look like they're going to mobilize the troops to save Georgia, I think the missiles will stay in their silos. If I was Georgia, I would be wondering where the white flags are kept.

Who still has missiles in silos?

I just saw Bush @ the Olympics with his coat off and legs spread (no joke). Laura looked like a stepford wife clapping like a sweet pretty Delta Zeta robot. They don't seem to care about this situation.

He looked like a slob and she was robot smile. Uh. Way to represent.

I saw Putin, he didnt seem to care either. Probably because when your at the Olympics you should just treat it as sports and save the politics for when you get back home

Our president looked anything but presidental @ the opening. As other countries walked by he had already taken off his jacket was siting like a kid with his legs open and hunched over. Does not seem very respectful to me. Save the politcs yes, but represent your country well please.

Our president looked anything but presidental @ the opening. As other countries walked by he had already taken off his jacket was siting like a kid with his legs open and hunched over. Does not seem very respectful to me. Save the politcs yes, but represent your country well please.

Ill agree with you there. When Iraq was walking he didn't stand :ohwell . That would have been a nice gesture. It was a 4hour+ event though, I know I would eventually be in relaxing mode. I do agree though, he didn't look "presidential", but I do not think that it fair to say Bush and his wife do not care about Russia/Georgia.

I believe the implosion of missile silos was one of the terms with the end of the Cold War. Now, if you have your own missile silo you are in violation of this peace treaty.

The U.S. still has several hundred Minuteman missiles in silos. One warheadless missile is periodically removed and launched from Vandenberg AFB to verify that they'll work if/when needed.

Guest Speed Racer

It's surely not a good situation, but I'm a little bemused the NYTimes is saying it may get near an "all-out war." This seems like a fight between a kitten and a lion, in terms of resources. Then again, I remember this instance on an aircraft carrier in 2003...

He looked like a slob and she was robot smile. Uh. Way to represent.

FYI, this thread is not about Bush.

FYI, this thread is not about Bush.

Thanks Jules.

2qdu78j.jpg

I saw 200 of these puppies being eaten @ the fair tonight. For some reason your hamburger eating pic

popped into my head at some point???? I must be thinking about you or something. I should have been concentrating on the fair.

I just saw a headline across the bottom of the screen on MSNBC that said:

"WHY YOU SHOULD CARE ABOUT THE WAR IN GEORGIA"

Sheesh. Apparently, we really need to spell out for people why this is big deal.

I just saw a headline across the bottom of the screen on MSNBC that said:

"WHY YOU SHOULD CARE ABOUT THE WAR IN GEORGIA"

Sheesh. Apparently, we really need to spell out for people why this is big deal.

Well, war is never a good thing, but Saakashvili seems to have brought this upon his country by provoking the Russians. Short of yet another reason to crank up energy prices, how does this affect me as Bjorn Q. American?

Well, war is never a good thing, but Saakashvili seems to have brought this upon his country by provoking the Russians. Short of yet another reason to crank up energy prices, how does this affect me as Bjorn Q. American?

Well, not sure how it directly affects you as an American, but the very best case scenario here is that hundreds (or thousands) of people are going to die (and that ignores the implications of one country invading another sovereign nation that is an ally of the US, what this does to oil, what this means about Russia's plans vis-a-vis the Ukraine, etc).

Just seems odd to me that at the onset of war, the media needs to explain to people why they should care about that. Seems like something to care about even if it doesn't affect you directly. And this could very well affect us directly.