8/8 Cary NC Koka Booth Amphitheatre

Set list

You Are My Face

Muzzle of Bees

Shot in the Arm

Radio Cure (it was YHF nite!)

-- Jeff said several times Cary seemed like a "nice crowd," great emphasis on "nice." Said they were going to "take our time tonight and perform it correctly"

Impossible Germany

Remember the Mountain Bed

Handshake Drugs

One Wing

Jesus etc.

Misunderstood

Pot Kettle Black

Poor Places

Reservation

Spiders

Encore 1 (All with Total Pros)

Hate it Here (Dunno how long he's been doing it, but the last three shows Jeff does this "thing" with his hair, during "Caught myself thinking ..." verse. Basically pulls his hair outward reworking his doo -- in Charleston he created a sort of swirl with one side and looked over at Nels (for approval?)

Walken

I'm the Man Who Loves You

Monday

Outta site Outta mind

Encore 2

Late Greats

Heavy Metal Drummer

Red-eyed and Blue

End of the Century

Hoodoo Voodoo -- Pat's white telecaster was having problems all night, the second tine, during One Wing, he just dumped it on the guitar stand and went back to the keyboards. I think it happened during Walken too, and he had to play his part on the keyboard. He got it back for Hoodoo Voodoo and Nels and Pat traded solos, about 8-10 apiece. Pat didn't have a lot of volume, but gave it a good go. Nels was all energy again tonight, swinging his Jaguar over his head a few times, and was otherwise frenetic, particularly early.

Nice venue, nice respectful crowd. Nice, nice very nice.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Encore 1 (All with Total Pros)

Hate it Here (Dunno how long he's been doing it, but the last three shows Jeff does this "thing" with his hair, during "Caught myself thinking ..." verse. Basically pulls his hair outward reworking his doo -- in Charleston he created a sort of swirl with one side and looked over at Nels (for approval?)

he's been doing it for awhile. I remember seeing it at the residency, and I think he did it on SNL too.

KILLER, KILLER, KILLER SHOW!!!

Highlights for me were Pot Kettle Black and the stuff from Being There at the end...Red Eyed and Blue, Got You & Outtasite.

Awesome show!!

Although my wife sat next to this guy that smelled so horribly it almost ruined her night. Almost. LOL

oops, posted this in the wrong section, so just moved it here!

my friend and I ducked out of the show early since he wasn't feeling well and wanted to avoid the traffic. we left after 'Hoodoo Voodoo' so hopefully we didn't miss much .

the concert itself was wild! I haven't seen Wilco in 2 years so I don't know if they've just gotten bigger, or if Cary is just home to tons of raging Wilco fans. everyone was singing along with each and every song. some highlights were 'Shot in the Arm,' and 'Pot Kettle Black.' we totally nailed the clapping part during 'Spiders' which I thought was gonna fall apart at any moment. Tweedy made a comment about the Crescent Cafe located within the venue and how he would like a danish which was pretty funny. the Total Pros came out to play the horn section for a few songs. again, the audience totally went away with 'Hate It Here' and 'Walken.' Pat's guitar went out during the end of 'Walken,' so he quickly ran to his keyboard and started playing some interesting funkadelic notes to which the band cracked up with laughter. the band played a few more songs, that I'm aware of, such as 'I'm the Man Who Loves You,' 'Monday,' 'Outtasite (Outtamind),' 'Red-eyed and Blue,' 'I Got You,' 'Hoodoo Voodoo,' then we left so don't know what, if anything, came after this. oh yeah, they also played 'One Wing.' I'm prolly missing some songs but I'm sure the setlist will be posted soon enough.

and, for my personal favorite highlight from the evening. Bon Iver! they freakin' blew me away! I recorded their set with my cheap minidisc and am listening to it as I write this. it was a pity to see so many empty seats during their set, guess everyone was waiting for Wilco to play. they played a 40 minute set which consisted of; 'Flume,' 'The Wolves,' 'Blood Bank,' some cover song, forget the title, 'Creature Fear,' and 'For Emma.' 'Skinny Love' was also played, just can't recall where it fits into the setlist.

if anyone wants a copy of Bon Iver's set, PM and I will try to have it on my PC within a week. I'm torrently challenged so I may need some assistance if some kind person(s) would care to help. by the way, the quality def. isn't impressive as it was recorded with my minidisc via binaural mics attached to my shirt, but its still pretty cool to listen to.

anyways, hope everyone dug the show and gets home safely. supposedly there's a ton of road-blocks out there tonight, but I didn't see any coming home from 64.

here's some pics, sorry don't have any of Wilco, hate trying to snap shots over peoples' heads.

a poster I found on the ground.

Bon Iver!!1

event poster

It's great to see Radio Cure in the set list. I told Nels last time I saw him that I really want to hear it in Wilmington, so hopefully they were practicing it for tomorrow!

i put in that request (and then ended up not being able to go to the show). that puts me at 4 out of 5 requests played in my lifetime!

heard reports back from others that a great time was had and it was a really fun show.

i put in that request (and then ended up not being able to go to the show).

I knew that was yours. :cheers I requested Reservations...and ended up not going either. :pirate

I am embarressed to say it was my first Wilco show. I had tickets TWICE before but could never get to the shows.

Saw Tweedy solo once in Raleigh too...

But man I can't believe I waited so long to see them!! What a great, great performance.

The wife and I were dancin like crazy and singing at the top of our lungs!!

I requested Pot Kettle Black and they KILLED it! Awesome. And to hear Red Eyed and Blue? My god I love that song...play it on my piano all the time.

All I have to say is I will never again miss a Wilco show. What a great time!! Great crowd, great venue, sound was very good and the set was amazing.

I have some pics that I'll upload ASAP.

Oh...and Misunderstood was also amazing. LOVE the ending...had the whole crowd screaming! I was proud to say I've heard the live version enough to know when the Nothing's were over. LOL

"Nothing at all..."

he's been doing it for awhile. I remember seeing it at the residency, and I think he did it on SNL too.

He also showed off this move in Anchorage, FWIW.

Those two were as great as you could imagine.

This is my absolute FAVORITE moment at a Wilco concert, Poor Places --> Reservations, and I don't get to hear it as often as I would like. On Reservations, I love what Glenn does with his drums with that tube thingy, and Jeff's vocals always seem so deeply heartfelt " ... reservations, about so many things, but not about you" ... ahhhh .... :worship . I'm always awestruck by how beautiful that song truly is, and IMO one of Wilco's shining moments, never better than with these 6 guys.

This is my absolute FAVORITE moment at a Wilco concert, Poor Places --> Reservations, and I don't get to hear it as often as I would like. On Reservations, I love what Glenn does with his drums with that tube thingy, and Jeff's vocals always seem so deeply heartfelt " ... reservations, about so many things, but not about you" ... ahhhh .... :worship . I'm always awestruck by how beautiful that song truly is, and IMO one of Wilco's shining moments, never better than with these 6 guys.

My wife refers to Glenn as "Animal" from the Muppets. There were times you didn't know where to look. Poor places I turned to my wife and said "Poor Places, this is incredible." Then I turned to her with wide eyes and said "Reservations, oh my God!" And she said, "I don't know what they're called but I know the songs." After three shows, we were walking up the grassy hill and said, "Let's go to Maryland!"

I loved Tweedy's response to the person who threw the seat cover on stage. "Well it's mine now..."

Great show. I saw them two years ago in Chapel Hill, and I thought this show was much better. I'm glad they played more older stuff.

Koka Booth was unreal. very very beautiful

Hey man, where were you sitting? I wonder if I saw you there...

Anyway, what an awesome show. Great venue, great seats, great setlist, great company. Got to hear Misunderstood for the second night in a row, not to mention the Total Pros and Bon Iver. Also got to meet some cool VC'ers. Good times! :thumbup