Wilco 08/12/2008

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice avatar Ellen!

God Wayne. I wish I could've stayed to meet Jeff and that I could've got there earlier to enjoy the day. Alas, that's what happens when you hitch a ride with someone. Regardless, amazing show, and even last years song-guesser has to admit that my Pot Kettle Black guess what a stroke of genius :thumbup

I want to see them again so badly now!

God Wayne. I wish I could've stayed to meet Jeff and that I could've got there earlier to enjoy the day. Alas, that's what happens when you hitch a ride with someone. Regardless, amazing show, and even last years song-guesser has to admit that my Pot Kettle Black guess what a stroke of genius :thumbup

I want to see them again so badly now!

*nerding out alert*

Well, he was playing a 12 string Tele-looking thing. And he usually uses a 6 string on that song...I think...but either way, yes, a genius call! :worship

I purchased 2 tickets the day they came on sale. For three agonizing months I bided my time for last night. Up until Friday all was well. Then my buddy and I had car issues at the same time. Between the two of us we had 500k miles on our cars. Things were looking grim. It actually came to the point on Monday that we were real close to bagging the whole thing. But wait! We had a friend who went down south with the family for some vaca action. Well, we did the only thing a 40 year old and a 37 year old could do, we "borrowed" her car and made our way to Tanglewood. The skies quit spittin' on us, the setting was delicious and Wilco was friggin' amazing. Absolutely blown away. I'm having a tough time wondering if the Broken Social Scene show I saw down in Providence a couple/few years back or last night's show was better. Based on surroundings, the fact that you could actually leave the venue and come back, bring your own beverages (although I quit drinking in December), and bask in the wonderful sounds of a great great band I'm going with last night's show as being the better one.

As an aside I picked up a new car today. All is well both musically and transportation wise.

The band was tight. Over the years it's been nice to see Jeff develop so much cowboy ease on stage. The Nudies are sparkly delicious.

Was Jeff sporting those wicked red boots? :lol

I am so glad you got there :hug

Was Jeff sporting those wicked red boots? :lol

I am so glad you got there :hug

I always miss you up there with me.

You know, those red boots are the only piece missing from the ensemble. :lol He had on a beautiful black western shirt.

I have to say that Nels' ascot might be the pi

Just a quick check in from someone else's song (er, computer).

Awesome show! We saw them for the first time in Feb in Cleveland, and prior to that show I couldn't get my wife to listen to them for anything. Now, after three shows (we also went to Wilmington), she was going through my iPod looking for the concerts I'd d/l'ed!!!!

I was just a tad disappointed that sections of the set list were a bit similar to Wilmington two nights previously (I know, tough problem to have), but just a touch. Called the opener for the second straight show, and got my request (Muzzle). The crowd was very enthusiastic in section 4, though the flat floor meant we couldn't see much of anything. Great sound, everyone so much into it that I couldn't hear my own singing (which is probably a blessing for everyone around me).

What sucks is I'm stuck at rush job for a customer exactly 28.4 miles from tonight's venue. Not that I looked it up on Mapquest or anything......

Not really time to read everything but bbop's post. Great show I thought. Great venue, but definitely a step up and out from the Pines. We may never see the Pines again, since Tanglewood was mobbed. I loved Andrew Bird's opening set although I was disappointed that he didn't play with Wilco. However that was more than made up for by the Total Pros turning Wilco into a big band for much of the night. I asked Dave Max about it afterwards and he told me that he had written additional charts for the section. Needless to say it was very cool. Good setlist although it would have been nice to hear a new song or two, just for the hell of it.

All in all I had a great time. More later.....or not.

LouieB

Not really time to read everything but bbop's post. Great show I thought. Great venue, but definitely a step up and out from the Pines. We may never see the Pines again, since Tanglewood was mobbed. I loved Andrew Bird's opening set although I was disappointed that he didn't play with Wilco. However that was more than made up for by the Total Pros turning Wilco into a big band for much of the night. I asked Dave Max about it afterwards and he told me that he had written additional charts for the section. Needless to say it was very cool. Good setlist although it would have been nice to hear a new song or two, just for the hell of it.

All in all I had a great time. More later.....or not.

LouieB

Hi to all the VC folks we saw at the show. Paul wrote a great review and description I think. We enjoyed this so much but the best was hanging with great friends. Here is a link to a few shots I took. Mostly I was too wrapped up in the music, the scene - great time had by all.

Laurie and Rick

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24028190@N07/...57606714759869/

There's not much more that I could add here that hasn't already been said. I am a huge Summerteeth fan so I was happy. I was thrilled to hear "I'm a Wheel" -- that had to be the highlight for me. Great one to end on! My husband and I were happily surprised to hear Spiders (Kidsmoke)... not a favorite of ours, so when we saw it popping up on lots of setlists, we were a little concerned, but it does definitely translate well to the stage. My husband and I had money riding on 1) the opening number (I said "Hummingbird" and he said the unlikely "Either Way") and 2) what kind of jacket Jeff Tweedy would wear (I said hip-length nondescript jacket with several pockets and he said glitter suit). You can see why I never win at scratch tickets.

The only detractor was the intense number of we had to suffer. Most people around us were fine but the three seats in front of us were empty, which resulted in three of the loudest, most annoying females that ever lived filling in from the lawn. Once we chased them off three more came from thin air to fill in for the first set. I am all for people having a good time but people should really understand that I did not take two days off work, pay a small fortune for tickets (considering assorted fees and surcharges), drive three hours, and pay for a hotel to hear THEM sing. And I use the term "sing" very loosely. It was more like yelling to the beat words that were *similar* to the lyrics. I also didn't come to the Wilco show to watch them twirl around with their arms over their head, yelling "woooooooooooooooo!!!!", sparking up their lighters while yelling "woooooooooooooo!!!!," and talking to eachother about inane sh** during "Pieholden Suite." I know I sound like a grouch but it was VERY hard to focus on anything else, especially since I was too short to see much else but them and their incessant hairflipping. Grr.

Also, it's cool that you want to bring your kid to Wilco shows, but putting him on your shoulders and then forcing your way to the front and standing in front of others, completely obstructing what little view they had from their PAID seats, is just RUDE.

Anyway, yay Wilco. Excellent show.

Being tall is usually a hassle, I hit my head on shit all the time. But, at a concert? Helpful. Very helpful. I was on the Nels side, so I spent a lot of time watching him. His pedals didn't seem to be working on one song, which was that? He got kind of pissed off. Or, did I imagine that?

Only regrets would be that I didn't get to hear "At Least That's What You Said", but that's just some minor quibbling given the general awesomeness of the setlist. Not enough Tweedy/audience banter either, but what we got was quality. My big regret is not paying more attention to Glenn. Next time.

Definitely going to keep an eye out for a recording.

Last night was wonderful--a great show, but I enjoyed the VC family reunion almost as much. I'd love to see them make this an annual event, and considering how well tickets sold, I think it could be possible. It was very likely my last Wilco show for the year, and I can't think of a better way to end. Either Way really got me choked up, because it made me think back to hearing it live for the first time last summer and how much a lot of things in my life have changed and how lucky I've been to get to travel so much and see so many shows and make so many cool new friends.

My pictures are here.

Last night was wonderful--a great show, but I enjoyed the VC family reunion almost as much. I'd love to see them make this an annual event, and considering how well tickets sold, I think it could be possible. It was very likely my last Wilco show for the year, and I can't think of a better way to end. Either Way really got me choked up, because it made me think back to hearing it live for the first time last summer and how much a lot of things in my life have changed and how lucky I've been to get to travel so much and see so many shows and make so many cool new friends.

My pictures are here.

:cheekkiss glad you had a great time!

Cool pics. I've never seen Nels play banjo!

Jeff looks like the freak love child of Bob Dylan and Hank Williams.

I kept thinking of Hank last night.

I hope it's just the cowboy threads.

Lookit...I crawled my way to a thousand posts. (and every one a gem)