Wilco 08/12/2008

Wow, that was an amazing show! They only get better with time, like fine wine and flowering chronic. I guess the complaining VCers just have high expectations or better experiences (aren't there better shows always, especially when others are conveying their joy and excitement for a show, some approach it like a competition).

Anyway, highlights were the setlist for one, no money spent thanks to trucking in our coolers with beer and food, enjoying the manicured lawn with new friends, watching 13 year olds smoke a joint of shit better than mine, touring the grounds, decent shed seats with no security (we ended up in the box seats with rocking chairs), freedom to come and go in the shed as we had wanted and generally just doing whatever we wanted!

I thought the sound was fine, better than most places in Assachusetts.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shit. Having seen 8 or 9 shows...sound-wise, this was the very worst ever...I was so bummed, I thought the sound TOTALLY SUCKED!!! I kept moving around, lawn, shed, left. right...nothing helped. I asked the sound tech what he thought..he said "I'm really struggling here...", so I knew it wasn't just me. I finally gave up and just danced, but seriously....I thought this as the absolute worst sound EVER!! Is there anyone out there agrees with me?

Can't wait to hear them in a good venue again. loved the Nudie Suits. Missed Jeff's banter and his way of connecting. Missed the audience participation.

Loved: the sky blue sky of the day, the scene, bringing my 15 year old son who is now not only a Wilco fan but who discovered Radiohead's In Rainbow's on my iPod and couldn't stop listening...we were so bummed we didn't have tix for their show the next night.

Karen

I've been to my fare share of concerts, and the sound was great to my ears, other than Nels being a bit quiet.

You want bad sound, go to the Webster in Hartford

WE've been to about 9 wilco shows and this one was as great as any other but not our favorite. I did think the sound was quiet on the lawn. We were on the front row of the lawn. We watched a bunch of people jump the barriors and about half got sent back depending on thier skill and timing. I thought it was funny that one of the security guys looked to be in his eighties was really into the show and was eventually standing on a chair to see better himself. Then he disappeared as did most of the security. My 11 yearold daughter wanted to go up front and I was like no no we have to follow the rules and then later we saw that security had pretty much givenup and we set a bad example. We all jumped the barrior and by the last song had whedled into the very front enough to see. The rowdier angrier people were the ones who had paid to be upfront and were miffed that everyone else just walked up. Sorry bout that. Another weird thing about this place glass bottles?

BTW - I saw a car in the parking lot plastered with McCain sitckers and jesus fish. Seemed odd and out of place. Maybe the religious right has better taste in music than i had previously given them credit for.

good for them.

Clearly someone hasn't gotten the memo that Wilco are Obama supporters.

LouieB

Clearly someone hasn't gotten the memo that Wilco are Obama supporters.

LouieB

i didn't realize you weren't allowed to show support for another candidate in public at a wilco show! horror!

i am a big obama fan too, but when we "liberal lefties" start getting too self-righteous, or indignant about people's freedom to support whichever candidate they want, then we're no better than they are... just sayin'...

Great show. Not as good as the pavillion last year though, I think.

I was on the lawn, on nels side. And the people who worked their were assholes. They wouldn't let us stand on the lawn.

So we were forced to sit until kidsmoke, where we just rushed and made it to about the third row.

That's because you were STANDING IN FRONT OF PEOPLE AND BLOCKING THEIR VIEW OF THE BAND, YOU INCONSIDERATE A**HOLE. God, I was so sick of you people all night long....I'm SORRY that we're not cool and high and drunk and whatever, but we paid our money to see our favorite band just like you and we chose to SIT on the side because we KNEW people would stand in the shed. We got there early and got our seats for that very reason. Is it too much to ask that you and your goddamned self-centered drunken idiotic friends respect the rights of those who don't wish to "Get up and dance, man"?

Aaaarrrrgh.

Grow up, people.

fucking assholes, dancing at a concert. :realmad

I was neither drunk nor cool, but I was definitely dancing on the lawn, where you couldn't see the stage anyway.

Thanks for stopping by! :wave

That's because you were STANDING IN FRONT OF PEOPLE AND BLOCKING THEIR VIEW OF THE BAND, YOU INCONSIDERATE A**HOLE. God, I was so sick of you people all night long....I'm SORRY that we're not cool and high and drunk and whatever, but we paid our money to see our favorite band just like you and we chose to SIT on the side because we KNEW people would stand in the shed. We got there early and got our seats for that very reason. Is it too much to ask that you and your goddamned self-centered drunken idiotic friends respect the rights of those who don't wish to "Get up and dance, man"?

Aaaarrrrgh.

Grow up, people.

Best first post ever?

BLOCKING THEIR VIEW OF THE BAND

Do you have super powers? I sat in the first row of the lawn for a while and the stage was about a football field away with 3000 chairs in between. All I could see were the stage lights. Now admittedly I'm old, but still.

I've got to agree with M. Chris on this one. Even if everyone in the shed had been sitting, you weren't going to have much of a view from anywhere on the lawn. I've been there for the symphony and saw nothing from the lawn. If you wanted to see, you should've paid the extra $10 per ticket and gotten seats. The standing vs. sitting controversy has been going on for years, but it just seems like common sense to me that if you sit at a Wilco show, you're probably not going to be able to see. You can put on your big boy pants and enjoy listening, or you can whine about it, but that's not going to make the people in front of you sit down.

Considering the tone of your first (and what I'm assuming will be only) post, I think you telling Jonesie to grow up is the pot calling the kettle...well, we all know the rest.

i didn't realize you weren't allowed to show support for another candidate in public at a wilco show! horror!

i am a big obama fan too, but when we "liberal lefties" start getting too self-righteous, or indignant about people's freedom to support whichever candidate they want, then we're no better than they are... just sayin'...

Oh gawd I am "half" kidding. You probably were not here for the great VC wars of the 2004 election. Sure Wilco fans can support whomever they wish, what do I care. It just seems sort of strange now (as it was four years ago) that Wilco fans support rightwing bullshit. Some folks here were very upset when Jeff expressed anti-war views from the stage.

I wish I had taken a pic of the guy with the war on war shirt on that he had made with the "o" that had the Obama logo. It was brilliant and spot on.

LouieB

Hi, I'm chezdan and I'm a rage-aholic. ("I'm addicted to rage-ahol!" -H. Simpson)

Sorry for the bummer first post, but I had to get that off my chest. To answer some of your questions: a) we were on the side lawn left, close to the stage - excellent spot, btw B) people dancing during a concert do not bother me in the least...unless they walk 2 feet in front of where I'm SITTING and start doing it c) it just blows my mind that some people have absolutely no awareness about anything other than themselves or their wants and desires. Why am I the bad guy because I chose the side where I could sit during the show? There was an entire pavilion full of dancing people - why did you have to pick the spot right in front of me? And when asked MULTIPLE times to sit by the sweet, little old lady who VOLUNTEERS at Tanglewood as an usher, you kept standing? It's just the complete and total lack of concern for others that frightens me. We're all there together to share an incredible night of music, but some people must think that the band, the concert, and everything is for their benefit only. If only someone had cast a backward glance and asked politely, "are we blocking your view?" I might've said "don't sweat it," if they had just acted as if they cared about someone other than themselves. That's all.

OK, OK, OK...[deep breath]...I need therapy, yes it's true.

Having said ALL of that - I'll end on a positive note and say that I enjoyed the show a lot, totally dug the suits, and the setlist was out of this world - especially the 2nd encore!

Does anyone think for that even one minute rock music fans give a flying fuck about other fans??? Even most Wilco fans??? Having had this discussion umpteen times here about how fucking rude rock fans are and how much dumb shit stuff happens at Wilco shows no one should be surprised or upset. I simply expect shit to happen at every show and I was certainly not disappointed even at Tanglewood. A young couple a few rows in front of me were acting the fools most of the show and then toward the end the girl got on the guys back, blocking everyone in back of them. Mostly they seemed to be drinking and making out rather than digging the music anyway. Clearly the Shed at Tanglewood was made for classical shows where everyone is sitting down and listening attentively and politely and the site lines are fine. Once people stand up, the rather shallow incline does not make seeing easier.

Actually no matter how often crap like this goes on, I also still get upset too. So I feel for you, but it is the reason that most people at these things are under 35 even when a group like Wilco, who has many many fans over that age don't go. Too much bullshit and rude and thoughtless people.

LouieB

tanglewood and wilco is a a perfect marriage in my mind. i got my wilco cherry popped in the best of ways. nearly a week later, and i expect i'll ride the high until next time.

thanks to m.christine for pushing me right up front for the encores (literally at tweedy's feet) and viatroy for buying me the tickets and finding the best spot in back to meet jeff. i'd say something more about meeting him, but i was only partly there.

tanglewood and wilco is a a perfect marriage in my mind. i got my wilco cherry popped in the best of ways. nearly a week later, and i expect i'll ride the high until next time.

thanks to m.christine for pushing me right up front for the encores (literally at tweedy's feet) and viatroy for buying me the tickets and finding the best spot in back to meet jeff. i'd say something more about meeting him, but i was only partly there.

:cheekkiss

Yes, we do.

I did not get a sub. Can you send one of those to me as well?

You were right down the road from a good sub. I had several of them. Did you feed the cat some of the special cat food?

You were right down the road from a good sub. I had several of them. Did you feed the cat some of the special cat food?

viatroy fed me pretty well. Plus I cooked for all of us one night.

When we're all living up there, you can tell me about Bad Kitty's special food.

viatroy fed me pretty well. Plus I cooked for all of us one night.

When we're all living up there, you can tell me about Bad Kitty's special food.

That town ain't big enough for the both of us. She made me work.